JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally got to take my new to me RIA 10mm 2011 and test out the new plate rack too. Both worked great except that the 10mm brass would end up between 60-70 feet away. That seems excessive and makes it hard to recover the casings. I paved it out several times to verify distance, truly over 60'. Is this normal? I really don't like losing those cases.

You're going to want to try 20-24lb springs depending on how hot your load is. All 1911 springs use the same form factor. Just need to specify barrel length of gun being used. 3.5, 4.25, or 5" barrel. Wolfe makes excellent springs. Brownells, Midway are the first places to look.

Last Edited:
Stronger main/hammer spring may help, but it will liekly be an issue with this gun. Mine shoots far, but maybe half the distance of yours.

couple of things. Flat firing pin stop from egw it will need to be fit but it is easy to do, 20 to 24 pound recoil spring I prefer 20 that way I can run light factory loads also with no issues.

my 1911 ejects about double a normal 45 but no 60ft... thats 20 yards, are you shure its really ejecting that far?

mine has an 18lbs recoil spring and shoots original loads fine, I dont shoot original 10mm loads as much so I'll have to remember to check how far it throws them next time.

I tried a 20# spring once and it was way to heavy. Ive never had any issues so I dont know why everyone always recommentds 20-24# springs.

You actually found some of your brass?? I had two Colts and one Ruger in 10mm. The Colts, one I kept stock, the other I had one of those full length guide rods on, tension unknown (gifted to me). The Ruger I kept stock. All three were throwers. Maybe if I'd looked on the Moon, I might've found some of my brass. I don't know if I ever fired a factory round in any of them, just handloads well below maximum. I used to buy once fired from an RSO I knew, nickel apiece.

my 1911 ejects about double a normal 45 but no 60ft... thats 20 yards, are you shure its really ejecting that far?

mine has an 18lbs recoil spring and shoots original loads fine, I dont shoot original 10mm loads as much so I'll have to remember to check how far it throws them next time.

I tried a 20# spring once and it was way to heavy. Ive never had any issues so I dont know why everyone always recommentds 20-24# springs.
Absolutely know it's sending it that far, several witnesses plus my pace is just over 6'. This is with several factory loads too. I don't mind an aggressive extraction as the brass looks good but if it could be tamed would be nice. It is a very smooth shooting gun, but I'm a reloader and go nutz when I lose brass.

You actually found some of your brass?? I had two Colts and one Ruger in 10mm. The Colts, one I kept stock, the other I had one of those full length guide rods on, tension unknown (gifted to me). The Ruger I kept stock. All three were throwers. Maybe if I'd looked on the Moon, I might've found some of my brass. I don't know if I ever fired a factory round in any of them, just handloads well below maximum. I used to buy once fired from an RSO I knew, nickel apiece.
Yep, it was the first time shooting this gun so I always have extra eyes as to where the brass lands. Everyone was laughing by the third round because it went so far.

The recommendation for a 20 pound recoil spring or heavier is the FASTEST thing which it is why it is recommended most. If it is to heavy for you and you have just a little skill then do this and remember there is such a thing as proper timing for a 1911 also.

1) 18# recoil spring for 10MM nothing lighter. Remember Colt in today's delta elite uses a dual combination that is rated at 23#'s according to Colt. I don't like heavier as some experts say it can batter the frame. I have never seen one shot that much where it did.
2) 24-25# Main spring this can effect the trigger pull by about 1/4# (ounces) but many say they can tell
3) EGW Flat firing pin stop and just barely I mean barely break the edge of the stop thats closes to the hammer.
4) A nice trigger job to off set and improve upon the changes you just made.
5) Tune the extractor for the right tension, which also helps with reliability of feeding.
After all this your brass will drop in a NICE circle within a couple of feet in a neat pile

Though not difficult many are afraid to screw up their prized 1911's and gunsmiths are starting to get like Unicorn's unfortunately thus just about everyone says go to a 20# spring and call it a day 😉

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top