JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or just buy beef at Safeway. Lol! Sorry but you really want a LOT!

PS: What you really need is a good gun smith in your back pocket.
Actually, I think I'm just asking SW to do the sensible thing and fill a huge gap in their offerings. .44 revolvers now go up to .44 mag +P+. Loads that reach .454 Cassull power in the much more versatile affordable .44. Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks and certain SA revolvers handle them fine. Now that SW has designed the X-frame for the .460 and .500, it's totally ridiculous that they have nothing that can shoot the .44 mag +P+. I think if they gave us an X-frame .44 mag +P+ they would sell way more of them than the .460s or .500s.

SW already has Performance Center variants of their .629s and X-frames that have sling attachments. Nothing revolutionary about that. X-frames already come with two replaceable compensators, for use with lead vs jacketed bullets. But no unporteded option. And SW once made a revolver with the adjustable front sight with the dial for use in the silhouette game. If you want the full range from mild .44sp to .44mag +P+ without changing either the front or back sights, you are really going to need the adjustable front sight.

Out of curiosity, do you recall the model? That sounds neat-o. :)
My SW book says they made 629-3 6-inch with a 4-position front sight in 1990. They made 500. Look up "629 with adjustable front sight" and you can find a pic of one from an old auction. (My device doesnt copy links. Sorry.) Also apparently made in .357.

My SW book says they made 629-3 6-inch with a 4-position front sight in 1990. They made 500. Look up "629 with adjustable front sight" and you can find a pic of one from an old auction. (My device doesnt copy links. Sorry.) Also apparently made in .357.
Yep, they were some excellent Silhouette Guns. Unfortunately, they pretty much became Instant Collectables. So, what you'll find are either NIB or well used. I've even seen a couple of "Shot Out" .357 Magnums.

Actually, I think I'm just asking SW to do the sensible thing and fill a huge gap in their offerings. .44 revolvers now go up to .44 mag +P+. Loads that reach .454 Cassull power in the much more versatile affordable .44. Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks and certain SA revolvers handle them fine. Now that SW has designed the X-frame for the .460 and .500, it's totally ridiculous that they have nothing that can shoot the .44 mag +P+. I think if they gave us an X-frame .44 mag +P+ they would sell way more of them than the .460s or .500s.

SW already has Performance Center variants of their .629s and X-frames that have sling attachments. Nothing revolutionary about that. X-frames already come with two replaceable compensators, for use with lead vs jacketed bullets. But no unporteded option. And SW once made a revolver with the adjustable front sight with the dial for use in the silhouette game. If you want the full range from mild .44sp to .44mag +P+ without changing either the front or back sights, you are really going to need the adjustable front sight.
Well, when you put it like that...………………….I get what you're saying.

When I first saw someone in this thread mention a 6 shot, 44 Mag X-frame, all I could think was, "Why?" The X-frame is very large and heavy, even in the 5" version I had. Isn't that too much weight for "only" a 44? Even if it was a 445 Supermag (which should fit that cylinder) there is more than enough mass in the gun to keep recoil reasonable, even without a brake.
I'd say if you feel like pushing the 44 Mag that hard, there are better options.

When I first saw someone in this thread mention a 6 shot, 44 Mag X-frame, all I could think was, "Why?" The X-frame is very large and heavy, even in the 5" version I had. Isn't that too much weight for "only" a 44? Even if it was a 445 Supermag (which should fit that cylinder) there is more than enough mass in the gun to keep recoil reasonable, even without a brake.
I'd say if you feel like pushing the 44 Mag that hard, there are better options.
Not talking about only a .44 mag. For that I'm happy with the SW 629. Talking about .44 mag +P+. That is, .454 Casull level power. Say up to about 1600 ft lbs from a 7.5 to 9.5 inch barrel. Full factory loads of .44 mag go up to about 1200 ft. lbs.

You misunderstand me on the muzzle brake. I hate them. But the X-frames are already designed with removable brakes. The only problem is they give you the option of two different breaks, not the option of no brake. An unported non-brake brake would allow SW to give people who hate brakes a no brake option without redesigning the X-frame barrel.

Good point about the weight of the X-frame. Yikes. 72.2 oz for a .460 8.38-inch. My Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5-inch .44 can shoot .44 mag +P+, and it only weighs 58 oz.

0426E36B-1ED5-4992-B088-BC824FC5FCA1.jpeg

Glock revolver aside...
I know there are a couple designs out there that can be suppressed... or there were at one time. I guess you'd have to create a good seal between the barrel and the cylinder, but how hard could that be;)

Something suppressible, with a TRR8 sort of vibe:s0155:

Many years ago Dan Wesson made a prototype 7-30 Waters revolver when handgun hunting for everything was on everyone's mind. Never hit the market. DW made a lot of different calibers. Some caught on, some didn't. Wonder where they are now.

Purely for the giggles, an automatic revolver that isn't unobtanium and/or insanely expensive. There is the Webley-Fosbery, but they command huge premiums. More currently produced is the Mateba which is made in Italy, but it too is difficult to locate, and very expensive. There is the curious little .22 Zulaica made in Spain in the years leading up to the First World War, but I don't know how many, if any, left Europe and can be found in the States.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top