JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we're making plans to visit a friend in northern California in the coming weeks. She lives in a fairly remote, picturesque rural area, and not one of the decaying urban sprawls. Naturally, I would want to have a firearm or two on the trips. I know CCW is a no-go, almost anything NFA (sans AOWs), 10+ round magazines, and "scary" guns aren't allowed either.

Is there any reason a S&W Model 29 6-shot revolver and/or a Rossi 92 10-shot lever-action would be a no go, assuming they are transported in accordance with their BS laws? From what I've read, those should be perfectly fine. The plan would to have them unloaded and locked in a traveling case during transit. The ammunition compatibility will make things a little easier. I realize there is forum specific to that state, but I'm not signed up there, and I've got imagine some of my fellow PNWers travel there for various reasons.

(I know it will come up of why go. True enough, I avoid crossing the border unless there is a good reason. On the other side, though, I'm going to live my life and associate with whom I want. If I don't, the tyrants and idiots have won.)

Check the ammo restriction, you dont want to be accused of "interstate commerce" and every thing else should be fine! I usually travel to Injun country with a K-31 and a 1911 so, restrictions be damned, im going to be armed how i choose where I choose! :D

The ammo does not need to be transported in a separate container. It cannot be in the firearm. Loaded mags in the same container are fine. Handguns must be in a "secure" locked compartment. The glove box and utility box cannot serve as the locked container.

The prohibition against bringing ammunition into the state only applies to residents, but you cannot sell any ammo there without an "ammunition vendor" license.

Lever action rifles with tubular magazines can hold more than ten rounds. 22 rifles with tubular magazines can hold more than ten rounds. All else, 10 max, unless they are grandfathered magazines protected by the injunction.

Be careful, as there was a charge of possession of "large capacity magazine" last week despite the injunction. That was an add on charge in a drug case, but it shows that the injunction is not being respected in all situations.

Have in-laws in Kalifornia, so sad they can't play like we still can... Means when I travel it's 1911 style, that way I don't have to worry about magazine capacity, just bring more magazines...

Too bad I can't share AR pistol builds with my BIL, he'll just need to travel north to play with the grown up toys :D

Is your 329PD in .44 Magnum and, if so, how do you like it? (A smaller, lighter weight wheelgun in said sounds kind of neat-o.) Thanks. :)

It is a .44 mag yes. I like carrying it. I dread shooting it, but if I have to, I can shoot it - it just leaves my hand numb and sometimes bloody.

I wish I could take my Shockwave thru Calif, but those are illegal there from what I have read. I suppose I could put a longer barrel on it.

The ammo does not need to be transported in a separate container. It cannot be in the firearm. Loaded mags in the same container are fine. Handguns must be in a "secure" locked compartment. The glove box and utility box cannot serve as the locked container.

The prohibition against bringing ammunition into the state only applies to residents, but you cannot sell any ammo there without an "ammunition vendor" license.

Lever action rifles with tubular magazines can hold more than ten rounds. 22 rifles with tubular magazines can hold more than ten rounds. All else, 10 max, unless they are grandfathered magazines protected by the injunction.

Be careful, as there was a charge of possession of "large capacity magazine" last week despite the injunction. That was an add on charge in a drug case, but it shows that the injunction is not being respected in all situations.

+1 on this ^^^^

Note that ammo doesn't need to be locked up for transport. For example, you could bring a semi auto pistol and legally transport it in a quick access safe and then have a loaded magazine (10 rounder) sitting out on your lap or center console, or even in your pocket, and it's perfectly legal. In this manner you would be legal but could still achieve a loaded and charged firearm in 5 seconds (give or take) if you needed it. You could achieve the same thing with a revolver and speed loader.

You're fine with taking your revolver and lever action to CA. Just put the unloaded revolver in a lock box and you're good to go.

Many of the police departments in California are pro-gun. Don't do anything foolish and you'll have a great trip.

Source: I lived in Northern California for a few years and frequently travel through the state.

I considered myself Grandfathered in, by the 2nd Amendment and being I was born and raised in the Golden State before these laws. So can't help they do not pertain to this free person.

I know many are thinking well that's all fine and dandy until those enforcers confront you.
I knew a guy who drove 35 years never had a license. And not until they required certain item was he forced to. This was California. He went on trip, worked and not once was pulled over and asked.
There are millions and millions of people there, and there is just as rare a case of being stopped and checked as there is about the same odd to have a person on person crime committed against you.

The laws allow that criminal the ability to be armed and commit a crime against you.
Should the laws be damned to defend ones self. This patriot says, I can't live to defend my rights in a pine box.

If you use a pink clamshell holster with some hair on it you're OK.

nr

2Rgz41V.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top