Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Revolvers are dangerous

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by joken, Mar 27, 2016.

1. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That's what the man said. We went to dinner with a group of people here in Arizona recently and one of the guys was taking his GF and another woman shooting. He had just taken a concealed carry class in Minnesota and the instructor told the class that revolvers were dangerous and the safest gun to carry was an "automatic." I asked the guy to please explain and the story goes like this. All handguns should be carried without a round in the chamber and it's not safe because the revolver's cylinder can accidently be turned making the gun unsafe. The instructor didn't seem to know that modern revolvers have a firing pin block. He went on to tell me how safe a automatic is because all you have to do is go like this and put a bullet in it. He simulated racking a slide. I just kept my mouth shut after that. One of the women that he was going to take shooting went to a GS and they sold her a little Keltec and she found out after the fact that she wasn't strong enough to pull the trigger. For fun I asked her if it was a revolver or automatic and she said. "I don't know, I told them I wanted a defensive gun.

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

The key word here is "instructor"! And it's just pathetic that this instructor is not properly informed, and he is spreading misinformation!

Oh, maybe the instructors lesson plan was from 1960:(

Steve54, Brutus57, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  3. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

wow, ignorant people teaching the ignorant. a revolver will never ftf or fte. leave it in a nightstand until the bullets turn green and it will likely still fire. it makes me sad to admit I was born in arizona.

Brutus57, evltwn, Stomper and 3 others like this.
  4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Idjits are way too commono_O

Steve54, Brutus57, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  5. I594 Sucks

I594 Sucks Colville, WA Active Member

My S&W PD340 (concealed hammer) would only have 4 shots, then! Thumbs down to THAT "instructor".

bbbass, Sgt Nambu and Stomper like this.
  6. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I suspect the instructor may have been a old guy that is trapped in the past.

aarond, accessbob and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I detest people that teach opinion for fact!
    Everyone has opinions and prejudices, me more than average. Trick is not to spread them as gospel!

8. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin :rolleyes:

STUKA, OLDNEWBIE, JohnnyD and 13 others like this.
  9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sounds to me that the "instructor" could use some instruction. Too bad you don't know where he worked, as you could call them and fill them in about his ignorance and prejudice.

808hondacrguy, joken and Sgt Nambu like this.
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Everybody knows that if a gun doesn't have a "safety", you're just asking for it.
    lol

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, modern revolvers have this doo-hickey called a "transfer bar"... it activates the fricken "lasers", fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

Nightshade, MikeE, Brutus57 and 3 others like this.
  12. Peter Douglas

Peter Douglas Portland, Oregon New Member 2016 Volunteer

Perhaps the instructor feels that pulling the trigger on any gun should not cause it to discharge. I kinda like that pulling the trigger on any of mine will definately cause it to go boom. Who knows, maybe revolvers in Minnesota are dangerous, or possibly just some instructors are.

erudne, bbbass and albin25 like this.
  13. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is nothing quite like a TV and Hollywood trained expert.:rolleyes:

Brutus57, ron, erudne and 3 others like this.
  14. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

not entirely true.. someone can mess up a revolver mainspring or strain screw and it's possible to get ftf.

OLDNEWBIE and orygun like this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

No kidding. Why, I remember seeing Clint Eastwood blast that cretin on that football field from like eighty yards away.. obviously revolvers are more dangerous! sheesh

erudne likes this.
  16. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I bet the "instructor's" head would spin if he ever saw a Webley Fosbery Automatic Revolver. :eek:
    images.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Brutus57, Sgt Nambu, erudne and 4 others like this.
  17. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

Yep... I changed out a 12lb mainspring for a 6lb mainspring and discovered it wouldn't overcome the transfer bar about half the time. Sheesh, these modern revolvers! So I put the 9lb spring in and I'm good to go.

erudne likes this.
  18. Peter Douglas

Peter Douglas Portland, Oregon New Member 2016 Volunteer

Tried the same on a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44mag during a trigger job and it failed to fire with a light spring. Luckily the next heavier spring worked fine. Now it goes boom every time. Guns are supposed to do that, right?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Brutus57, erudne and bbbass like this.
  19. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Not necessarily stupid, but ignorant? Yes.

20. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

He would have to be very very old to go back to the days of not carrying a round under the hammer.

More likely he saw the scene in The Shootist where JW said not to carry a round under the hammer and too that to apply to all revolvers. So many people take what they see in movies as the gospel.

OLDNEWBIE, Pops1911 and accessbob like this.