JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's what the man said. We went to dinner with a group of people here in Arizona recently and one of the guys was taking his GF and another woman shooting. He had just taken a concealed carry class in Minnesota and the instructor told the class that revolvers were dangerous and the safest gun to carry was an "automatic." I asked the guy to please explain and the story goes like this. All handguns should be carried without a round in the chamber and it's not safe because the revolver's cylinder can accidently be turned making the gun unsafe. The instructor didn't seem to know that modern revolvers have a firing pin block. He went on to tell me how safe a automatic is because all you have to do is go like this and put a bullet in it. He simulated racking a slide. I just kept my mouth shut after that. One of the women that he was going to take shooting went to a GS and they sold her a little Keltec and she found out after the fact that she wasn't strong enough to pull the trigger. For fun I asked her if it was a revolver or automatic and she said. "I don't know, I told them I wanted a defensive gun.

The key word here is "instructor"! And it's just pathetic that this instructor is not properly informed, and he is spreading misinformation!

Oh, maybe the instructors lesson plan was from 1960:(

wow, ignorant people teaching the ignorant. a revolver will never ftf or fte. leave it in a nightstand until the bullets turn green and it will likely still fire. it makes me sad to admit I was born in arizona.

The key word here is "instructor"! And it's just pathetic that this instructor is not properly informed, and he is spreading misinformation!

Oh, maybe the instructors lesson plan was from 1960:(
I suspect the instructor may have been a old guy that is trapped in the past.

I detest people that teach opinion for fact!
Everyone has opinions and prejudices, me more than average. Trick is not to spread them as gospel!

Sounds to me that the "instructor" could use some instruction. Too bad you don't know where he worked, as you could call them and fill them in about his ignorance and prejudice.

Perhaps the instructor feels that pulling the trigger on any gun should not cause it to discharge. I kinda like that pulling the trigger on any of mine will definately cause it to go boom. Who knows, maybe revolvers in Minnesota are dangerous, or possibly just some instructors are.

I bet the "instructor's" head would spin if he ever saw a Webley Fosbery Automatic Revolver. :eek:
images.jpg

Last Edited:
not entirely true.. someone can mess up a revolver mainspring or strain screw and it's possible to get ftf.

Yep... I changed out a 12lb mainspring for a 6lb mainspring and discovered it wouldn't overcome the transfer bar about half the time. Sheesh, these modern revolvers! So I put the 9lb spring in and I'm good to go.

Yep... I changed out a 12lb mainspring for a 6lb mainspring and discovered it wouldn't overcome the transfer bar about half the time. Sheesh, these modern revolvers! So I put the 9lb spring in and I'm good to go.
Tried the same on a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44mag during a trigger job and it failed to fire with a light spring. Luckily the next heavier spring worked fine. Now it goes boom every time. Guns are supposed to do that, right?

Last Edited:
I suspect the instructor may have been a old guy that is trapped in the past.

He would have to be very very old to go back to the days of not carrying a round under the hammer.

More likely he saw the scene in The Shootist where JW said not to carry a round under the hammer and too that to apply to all revolvers. So many people take what they see in movies as the gospel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top