JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently picked up an Iver Johnson Hammerless Top Break Second Model, in 32 S&W. Well I tried it out, and it wouldn't fire. Upon further investigation, the firing pin was striking the rim, instead of the primer. The trigger appears to also "stick" unlike my 38 S&W.

Without taking it apart, and looking online, the trigger spring looks to be the culprit and needs replacing (appears to be a common issue)

...But a 2nd, 3rd, 6th opinion would be appriciated. :)

Maybe a dumb question...

but are you sure it's not 32 rimfire?

You could figure out if it was a timing or firing pin alingment problem by indexing a round (by marking it with a known "up" position.)

edit to add - actually, if the timing is off that far you should be able to see by looking down the barrel..

well upon further tinkering it appears the hand that rotates the cylinder is heavily worn down. just need to replace the hand it appears to be the easiest solution.

that part is called an "advancing pawl" under most nomenclature. You might try just looking it up on numrich and see if they have one. Most of the time this part doesn't really have to be fitted. It's usually only the cylinder stop which requires this. However, if that model bears any similarity to the H&R .22 I have, the elevation of the pawl and the cylinder stop may be all that holds the cylinder in place.

I would argue you should be able to do this yourself, even if fitting the pawl is required, just used a fine sharpening stone to reshape the pawl as required. DO NOT USE A DREMEL!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top