Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Revolver with a revolving issue...

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Arkarayne, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Arkarayne

Arkarayne Medford, OR Member

Recently picked up an Iver Johnson Hammerless Top Break Second Model, in 32 S&W. Well I tried it out, and it wouldn't fire. Upon further investigation, the firing pin was striking the rim, instead of the primer. The trigger appears to also "stick" unlike my 38 S&W.

Without taking it apart, and looking online, the trigger spring looks to be the culprit and needs replacing (appears to be a common issue)

...But a 2nd, 3rd, 6th opinion would be appriciated. :)

2. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

no clue on this one. cylinder timing apears off?

3. Arkarayne

Ok, taking it apart yielded nothing. but yes it appears to be a timing issue. i'll have to take it to a gunsmith.

4. toolfan

toolfan North Portland Member

Maybe a dumb question...

but are you sure it's not 32 rimfire?

You could figure out if it was a timing or firing pin alingment problem by indexing a round (by marking it with a known "up" position.)

edit to add - actually, if the timing is off that far you should be able to see by looking down the barrel..

5. Arkarayne

well upon further tinkering it appears the hand that rotates the cylinder is heavily worn down. just need to replace the hand it appears to be the easiest solution.

6. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

that part is called an "advancing pawl" under most nomenclature. You might try just looking it up on numrich and see if they have one. Most of the time this part doesn't really have to be fitted. It's usually only the cylinder stop which requires this. However, if that model bears any similarity to the H&R .22 I have, the elevation of the pawl and the cylinder stop may be all that holds the cylinder in place.

I would argue you should be able to do this yourself, even if fitting the pawl is required, just used a fine sharpening stone to reshape the pawl as required. DO NOT USE A DREMEL!