JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i remember this episode! i like how they used firearms on the show especially for it being filmed in they bay area.

i love mythbusters. sad that the series is over. it was a good run.

I have my own views about this pair, at least one of which has been confirmed when seeing how they hold what is probably THE most powerful handgun made today. I'll say nothing about the back-to-front beret worn by one of them. About the guy who wrapped his hand around the cylinder, all I can say is that perhaps he should take up rock-throwing instead - unless he gets a ricochet,, he's unlikely to get hurt.

Much.

tac

Wowsers, thanks for posting that video. The .500sw is a beast. Why someone would hold it like that - I have no idea. When I take people to shoot it I always only put one in the chamber and make sure the hands are both secure around the grip.

Why someone would hold it like that - I have no idea.

Even though the MB boys are managing it badly, what is shown in the graphic in the beginning is a classic auto grip. Something I have to remind myself of every day at the range and why I *start* with my revolver and then switch to the autos.

I'm sure their "expert" knew this but for "dramatic" effect they chose not to muddy the waters with too much logic.

From what I understand most of the center fire revolvers can have similar results, Hickok45 does it on his channel with a hot dog and it chopped it right off, but I don't remember what caliber the revolver was. I don't think I'd want to do it with a 22 even, I'm guessing a pretty bad burn at a minimum!
Gabby

Yuk. I hope they cleaned that revolver really well after that. MB always had me screaming at the television whenever they abused firearms, unless Kari was involved, then it was okay.

From what I understand most of the center fire revolvers can have similar results, Hickok45 does it on his channel with a hot dog and it chopped it right off, but I don't remember what caliber the revolver was. I don't think I'd want to do it with a 22 even, I'm guessing a pretty bad burn at a minimum!
Gabby

I demonstrate with BP revolvers that set a paper nose-wipe on fire when it's wrapped around the cylinder.

Trust me - you really would NOT want your fingers forward of the trigger guard, even with a modern minimal gap replica.

tac

KariMiniGun.png

People always freak out when I shoot my Colt Revolving Rifle with my off hand on the for arm Rifleman Style. You have to wear wool or leather to keep from getting burned, but there is no big blast, just a hot flash from the cylinder! I can imagine something far more powerful causing actual damage, but mine ( which is about the same as a .44 special) wouldn't cause more then a good 2nd deg. burn!

People always freak out when I shoot my Colt Revolving Rifle with my off hand on the for arm Rifleman Style. You have to wear wool or leather to keep from getting burned, but there is no big blast, just a hot flash from the cylinder! I can imagine something far more powerful causing actual damage, but mine ( which is about the same as a .44 special) wouldn't cause more then a good 2nd deg. burn!

U-K
That really doesn't compare your arm is quite a bit farther away from the cylinder gap, and the gasses have had a chance to disperse and the surrounding air would also lessen the effect of those gasses as they moved farther away from the cylinder gap.
Please don't test it up close with any part of your body, you could end up looking like your avatar. Seriously be careful please, I like seeing your likes on my postings, and I can use all of them I can get. :rolleyes: LOL BTW the Rifleman wasn't shooting a Revolving Carbine, he was shooting a 44-40 Winchester lever action.
Better safe than sorry friend!
Gabby

Many years ago hunting with a group of guys we were in camp target shooting with handguns. One of the guys (he was sober) laid his revolver across his forearm to support the barrel and proceeded to let off a round. The results were hilarious. He let out a yelp as we could see the gases coming from the cylinder gap. He had powder tattoos across his forearm from unburned powder particles. The crazy part is he proceeded to do it again about 5 minutes later. Same results!:D

Wowsers, thanks for posting that video. The .500sw is a beast. Why someone would hold it like that - I have no idea. When I take people to shoot it I always only put one in the chamber and make sure the hands are both secure around the grip.

This is a complete guess, but I think this kind of thing happens when folks who are more familiar with autoloaders, use a more forward off-hand grip on them and, stupidly, transfer those same skills over to revolvers! o_O

Last Edited:
BTW, want to cut that drumstick! Move it up to the barrel gap! The start of the flame front. It might not sever the bone, but I'll bet it would, at least, etch it pretty deep!:eek:

I follow the Army Manual for shooting my Colt Rifle, apparently many forget that the Army equipped it's solders to handle such a rifle with out injury. I use a Leather Greave on my left arm to take the blast with out damage. I would NEVER try this with a Pistol Revolver, or something like the Taurus Circuit Judge, That would certainly cause a nice burn or more serious injury! I shoot as the Army trained it's solders way back then, and partly do dispel the myths of doing this, as well as those surrounding these rifles! BillGabby, Thank you for your concern, I know your heart's in the right place and I for one appreciate it!

I remember seeing pictures of silhouette shooters using guns like the Ruger SBH, lying back on the ground and resting the gun on their knee. They always had a thick leather pad to take the flash. Denim wouldn't take much of that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top