JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I ran into the gentlemen I've done business with for years now on land and leases. We bought our present property and acreage from him and I continue to lease a commercial facility for my office/workshop. He is not a "gun guy", though owns a couple full-size revolvers and a number of hunting long guns. They're good, honest folks, and after dealing with some, frankly, individuals of questionable ethics in this field, I value the business relationship.

Anyway, he asked me about my FFL and if I could get handguns, which I can, and I told him it would likely be done by August. He said he's looking for a revolver for his wife, who just got her CHL, to vehicle carry when she's showing rural properties. He asked that I come up with some recommendations and he'd buy one through yours-truly.

The parameters I was given is:

• A revolver. He was adamant he didn't want one "that has that slidey thing on top" (presumably he meant an automatic).
  • For his wife. She's a 60-something, I think.
  • In a caliber that is sufficient for the job. He said no .22s. And he said his "magnum" (I think it is a .357) is too much. I'm thinking something .38 Special would do it.
  • It will be carried only in her vehicle and not on her person.
  • He mentioned they liked "a Ruger" the saw whilst traveling. That doesn't narrow it down much though.
  • He said he doesn't care too much about cost.
Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of compact and full-sized wheelguns that can fit the bill. My sidekick (@TeacherSmurf) threw out the idea of acquire a few specimens, selling them the one they like, and dumping the rest online. She may have a point.

All that said, any recommends? Any to avoid? Thanks friends. :)

Last Edited:
Does this gal shoot? I would suggest nothing snub nose as I think they are hard as heck to hit anything with and a comfortable rubber grip. Beyond that if she isn't much into guns I would think pretty hard about a
Model 617 | Smith & Wesson
and a
Model 686 | Smith & Wesson

That way she can practice with the 617 which is about the same size and feel as the 686. 60 isn't necessarily old and frail by any means, but since they don't sound much like firearms aficionado's the 22lr for practice might be a good idea.

Ruger LCRx. 3" barrel, and pretty soft shooting. Frame seems to make the recoil feel different (in a good way) to any other 38 I have shot (and I have shot and owned a number of them).

When he said "Ruger" that was my thought too. It would likely fit the bill. I don't have any experience with them, but I understand they are a solid piece.

@CountryGent Depending how big your collection is, why not invite them out for a day on the range to try things out and see what fits best?

Funny you mention it, because @TeacherSmurf offered to take her out shooting on our home range. That said, we only have a handful of wheelguns, some of which might be fitting (a Taurus carry gun) and some that wouldn't (a couple magnums, a WWII-era Enfield, a single-action, etc.). I'm thinking it isn't a good enough sampling, but still a good idea. :)

@CountryGent Depending how big your collection is, why not invite them out for a day on the range to try things out and see what fits best?
This is a great idea^^^

Shooting a 2" .38 isn't that difficult, I've got a Rossi 2" stainless .38 and can regularly ring a 4" gong at 30'+... it's all about trigger control and the right load.

My wife is a newer shooter and prefers .22's and .38's, she's got an affinity to my Rossi and shoots it well...

Having said that, for a new shooter, the New Colt Cobra seems to be pretty nice with six rounds as opposed to five. Not to mention the interchangeable front sight.

Just one mans opinion and worth every penny paid for it.

It does sound like you may already have everything covered.

My recommendation would be a Ruger SP101 in 9mm, 38spcl, or 327 magnum.

That and a good quick access lock box.

Funny you mention it, because @TeacherSmurf offered to take her out shooting on our home range. That said, we only have a handful of wheelguns, some of which might be fitting (a Taurus carry gun) and some that wouldn't (a couple magnums, a WWII-era Enfield, a single-action, etc.). I'm thinking it isn't a good enough sampling, but still a good idea. :)
So maybe that for orientation, then the nearest rental range for more options might be a winner. Maybe add a little wager to make it interesting, say Guys v Girls and losers make lunch. :p

Are there any rental ranges down there in Southern Oregon?

My wife has a 1.85" Ruger LCR38 and found it uncomfortable to shoot with the stock Hogue two finger grip, so I ended up getting a longer grip from the 3" model

565077043.800x800.jpg

and it ends up in the purse instead of on body. I wish that Ruger would come out with an internal hammer 3" LCR 357 with snagless sights already.

So for on body carry she ended up with a Kel-Tec p32

mvc-007s.jpg

The lady is 60 something years old, she's not going to carry it around on her person so carry weight isn't much of a factor but we don't want some gaud awful huge thing that is unwieldly for her but also not so tiny and light that if she shoots it once to practice she will hate it and not want anything to do with it.

I'm 6' 230 and love shooting my Glock 20, that being said, when I bought an airweight SW .38 snub J frame pre 594, I hated shooting it because even for what compared to the 10mm was the light .38 recoil, the gun itself immensely magnified any recoil there was and the grip just sucked. The Sig 938 filled the role better for me as tiny carry pistol.

Acknowledging she's not going to attempt to carry it and it will remain in her car, a 3 inch K frame with a rubber grip in .38 would be what I would choose for my theoretical 60 year old lady,

But, I think your wife has a great idea because women love 'options' buy a small assortment representing various options and dump the rest on the market for above cost and you are good.

That being said: I bought my 78 year old grandpa a Taurus 85 and he seems to like it, grips not bad either.

Ruger® LCRx® Double-Action Revolver Model 5462

With or without hammer. Can shoot five different calibers. Six shots instead of five...

This^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Or if single action (and seven shots) is OK, then this:

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Single-Seven™ Single-Action Revolver Model 8163

Practice with 32 S&W long. Or 32 ACP. Cheap and reloadable. Recoil like a .22
Hot 32 H&R handloads and Buffalo Bores are very comforting and reassuring.
Finally, the .327 Fed is badazz, but probably too much for a novice until they get enough practice.

Last Edited:
Sorry for not having a revolver suggestion here, but I'm not a revolver guy. Don't know why but that's just me. I've heard the LCRx line is good though, but that's just friend-of friend comments
I assume she doesn't want a semi-auto with the "slide thingy on top" because she doesn't think she can rack it?
Maybe she would like a Beretta Cheetah 86 or a Tomcat? Also, the Browning 1911-380 is incredibly easy to rack, very slim, light, compact.
th?id=OIP.JNnbymi-RsEKPdECqAlYogAAAA&w=226&h=161&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

cq5dam.web.500.500.jpg

You're right, "He was adamant he didn't want one "that has that slidey thing on top".... sounds nothing like a "gun guy".

Last Edited:
Another thing to consider...
Just because a revolver is in .357 Magnum...doesn't mean that you have you shoot .357 Magnum in it...
At times a ,357 revolver may "feel" better or fit the needs of the shooter better , even if you only shoot .38 Special from it.

For a suggestion I'll toss out a S&W model 65 or Ruger SP-101
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews