JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another thing to consider...
Just because a revolver is in .357 Magnum...doesn't mean that you have you shoot .357 Magnum in it...
At times a ,357 revolver may "feel" better or fit the needs of the shooter better , even if you only shoot .38 Special from it.

For a suggestion I'll toss out a S&W model 65 or Ruger SP-101
Andy

3" Sp101 . Put a Hogue Grip on it.

That's what I was thinking too, a 3" SP101 with Hornady or similar low recoil .38 HP's. They're heavy revolvers for their size and should be relatively easy for her to handle. Something else to consider will be trigger weight. Some revolver triggers are pretty heavy.

FWIW, we recently bought a S&W Performance Center Shield 9mm for my fiance and the slide is very easy to rack. I know they're not interested, but it may be worth keeping in mind.

Good luck with the quest.

I'll put my 2 cents worth in and suggest you talk a look at the Smith and Wesson Model 36 or 60. They're 5 shooters but have gotten the job done for many years.:):):)

So, I ran into the gentlemen I've done business with for years now on land and leases. We bought our present property and acreage from him and I continue to lease a commercial facility for my office/workshop. He is not a "gun guy", though owns a couple full-size revolvers and a number of hunting long guns. They're good, honest folks, and after dealing with some, frankly, individuals of questionable ethics in this field, I value the business relationship.

Anyway, he asked me about my FFL and if I could get handguns, which I can, and I told him it would likely be done by August. He said he's looking for a revolver for his wife, who just got her CHL, to vehicle carry when she's showing rural properties. He asked that I come up with some recommendations and he'd buy one through yours-truly.

The parameters I was given is:

• A revolver. He was adamant he didn't want one "that has that slidey thing on top" (presumably he meant an automatic).
  • For his wife. She's a 60-something, I think.
  • In a caliber that is sufficient for the job. He said no .22s. And he said his "magnum" (I think it is a .357) is too much. I'm thinking something .38 Special would do it.
  • It will be carried only in her vehicle and not on her person.
  • He mentioned they liked "a Ruger" the saw whilst traveling. That doesn't narrow it down much though.
  • He said he doesn't care too much about cost.
Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of compact and full-sized wheelguns that can fit the bill. My sidekick (@TeacherSmurf) threw out the idea of acquire a few specimens, selling them the one they like, and dumping the rest online. She may have a point.

All that said, any recommends? Any to avoid? Thanks friends. :)
I would start by finding out what .357 he has, and what he meant by saying it was too much. And, whether he tried it with 38 specials at all, in particular .38 sp wadcutters. It's possible he already has the gun his wife needs and doesn't know it. And if that isnt the right gun, at least you woukd know whether to go bigger or smaller.

If his wife wants to show rural property, she needs to at least purse carry. Its going to be when she is out of the car when she is in most danger.

CC807D68-1973-4F32-AB8D-02757B229339.jpeg My wife's personal M60 357 revolver........is near perfect. We shoot 90% common ball 38 Special ammo with hot 357 JHP's for "social work".............3 inch barrel adjustable sights......great Gun overall. If she can't handle a 38 Special, she needs to take a bodyguard or someone that can with her. We also have the identical gun in 22 LR.

Last Edited:
S&W 19 or 60. We also have a 637 but she might not like that as an option due to the heavy trigger pull and the recoil due to it being an Air Weight.

I also would suggest carrying on person.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top