JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So it occurs to me that I seldom shoot my .22 auto pistol, mostly because it requires at least standard velocity ammo, and really doesn't function well with anything subsonic. It also can only run .22 LR, of course. So I'm thinking a revolver might be more useful for me, depending on the answers to the following questions.

Can ALL .22 LR revolvers also shoot longs and shorts? I have a lot of the latter, and no longer have anything to shoot it in.
Most I've handled seem to be more suitable for women or children, what models/brands are full size?
What brands to look for or avoid?

I have no particular preference between DA and SA, other than DA being a little quicker/easier to load. Not concerned with capacity, either, a six shooter would be fine, although more would be nice. As this will mostly be a range toy, good triggers and sights are fairly important. Later.

Dave

If you want fun without breaking the bank, a Ruger Wrangler fits the Bill nicely. I've shot shorts, colibre, subs, supers, and everything in between in mine. Really enjoy it.

I've tried the DA game. The DA trigger is usually horrendous on rimfire DAs due to needing to strike the rim hard enough.

Love my S&W 617, Ruger Wranglers, and recently picked up for a joke a Heritage Rough Ryder Tactical Cowboy. Also, my Colt New Frontier I got from my grandpa is almost too nice to shoot, almost. I enjoy revolvers over any auto loader due to the ability to control where your brass goes. I was ringing a 4" steel plate set at 50 yards about 95% of the time with my 617, it is my go to for rimfire that isn't suppressed.

Can ALL .22 LR revolvers also shoot longs and shorts?
Yes. They function just like .38 Special in .357 guns - the bullet just has a little more freebore in the tubes before it hits the barrel.

One of the many wonderful things about revolvers.

(You can even get away with .22 Short - LR in a .22 Mag because the lack of casemouth headspace stop, but it is likely to blow grunge back into the loose chamber, since .22 Mag has a wider case.)

A nice Colt Officer's Model Match or Officer's Model Target in 22LR would fill the bill, but they begin at $1K and climb rapidly. As well, a Smith K-22 or Model 17 would also serve the need, but pricing also begins at about $1K. Both beautiful, classic examples of American craftsmanship, and both will appreciate. Both have very good D/A pulls.

Practically, the Ruger SP101 8-shot in stainless will last forever - but costs nearly what a classic Colt or Smith will run you.

1-1.jpg

Just saw an ad for this recently.
That would be fun with .22 shorts.

As mentioned earlier, A Ruger Single Six would be a good fit. They can be tuned up affordably, Lots of them have adjustable sights, & they are built to last generations.

Love my S&W 617, Ruger Wranglers, and recently picked up for a joke a Heritage Rough Ryder Tactical Cowboy. Also, my Colt New Frontier I got from my grandpa is almost too nice to shoot, almost. I enjoy revolvers over any auto loader due to the ability to control where your brass goes. I was ringing a 4" steel plate set at 50 yards about 95% of the time with my 617, it is my go to for rimfire that isn't suppressed.
Tactical Cowboy.....that's great!
I like that one, like military intelligence or peacekeeping force!

As mentioned earlier, A Ruger Single Six would be a good fit. They can be tuned up affordably, Lots of them have adjustable sights, & they are built to last generations.
I inherited mine from grandpa, stainless liberty convertible model 6.5 barrel adj sights.
Outlasted him, will outlast me.

Long ago.....
I bought a S&W M18 for "Practice" sessions. Back then, the PD used the S&W (M15) revolvers. So, the M18 was used as an "introduction" for the new recruits.

It was a cheaper and an easier to learn on.....platform. For many first timers.......think about the: (in no particular order) draw and fire drills, learning marksmanship skills, reloading drills, handling, etc... etc..... Yeah.....while using 22LR ammo vs. centerfire .38 special ammo.

Yes, CBs, shorts, longs, long rifle.....they all work in a revolver such as mine.

S-W-M18-3.jpg

Nope....it's NOT for sale.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
So it occurs to me that I seldom shoot my .22 auto pistol, mostly because it requires at least standard velocity ammo, and really doesn't function well with anything subsonic. It also can only run .22 LR, of course. So I'm thinking a revolver might be more useful for me, depending on the answers to the following questions.

Can ALL .22 LR revolvers also shoot longs and shorts? I have a lot of the latter, and no longer have anything to shoot it in.
Most I've handled seem to be more suitable for women or children, what models/brands are full size?
What brands to look for or avoid?

I have no particular preference between DA and SA, other than DA being a little quicker/easier to load. Not concerned with capacity, either, a six shooter would be fine, although more would be nice. As this will mostly be a range toy, good triggers and sights are fairly important. Later.

Dave

Standard velocity ammo is subsonic.
As for the gun, my first choice would be a model 17 S&W. Second choice, Ruger Single Six.

Best,
Gary

in the bang for the buck category I'll take the heritage rough rider all day long. The barrel and cylinder are blued steel and you never have to worry about damage… as they are so cheap it doesn't matter. Truly a low cost flood time.

I have a Rough Rider, a couple Wranglers, and a couple Single Sixes.

The Rough Rider was defective and fell apart after a couple hundred rounds. They fixed it but their warranty process leaves much to be desired, and it actually came back worse than it was. That said, I still think the Rough Rider can be a good value for the money, if you get a good one. Just remember that the parent company is Taurus. Nothing against them, by the way; they're a lot of fun. :)

The Wrangler is about half again more money, but much better quality. If you know what to look for in a revolver, the difference is stark. Funny thing is though, if I'm careful how I cock the hammer, my Rough Rider is more accurate than either of my Wranglers.

The Single Six is a whole 'nother animal. It's head and shoulders above either, in my opinion. And then the S&W K22? I would love to own one! Another big step up from the others. I've never had one but I love classic S&W revolvers.

It's all in what you want or need, and what you expect. For occasional fun plinking, $100-$130 is a bargain for a Rough Rider, just don't expect too much. They can be a lot of good, cheap fun, and you'll probably get a good one...

If you can afford another $80 or so, the Wrangler is a mechanically superior gun, with far better customer service if you get a lemon. Don't necessarily expect better accuracy, but it's more durable and still a lot of fun.

Funny thing is, I just picked up another Single Six, for only about $25 more than a new Wrangler costs. It's an old used one from the '70s, not terribly pretty anymore, but mechanically excellent. I'd still take it over a brand new lesser gun any day of the week. :)

Why do I have so many single action .22 revolvers? Good question. My wife wonders that too...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top