JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last December I took apart and cleaned my old 1965 Model 15 Smith and Wesson Revolver. It took patience as it was the first time I had done this project.

Today I took apart my "new" Model 65-8 that I bought to relieve wear and tear on the Model 15 that has been such a great shooter. The stainless is easier to clean after hard use. The gutter sights and bobbed hammer make it a great baseline for general hand gun fun. I will smooth it up if needed, install my Wolffe spring kit and give it a slight lube. What I found odd about this dash 8 is that the barrel crown appears to be a screw in part.

I also cleaned a magazine for my Sig M11A1. Also polished up my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie.

IMG_20200331_155435.jpg

S&W 65's have not been made for too many years to remember. At that time, 65's are solid heavy barrels. screwed into the frame. It's a one piece unit.
perhaps you can add a pic to demonstrate your oddity?

Hatman1793, thanks for your interest. I also have a Model 64 that I need to work on. It is made as expected. A very heavy, solid barrel and a normal hammer. I have a bobbed hammer available to swap into it but have not decided to do it yet.

IMG_20200404_123110.jpg IMG_20200404_123000.jpg

Thanks for the pics. It looks like a barrel re-line which is not an unheard of option. S&W would never do it or offer it, they would simply go to the revolver barrel parts bin & get another. But not today's S&W production of their new model 19's & 66's. They both employ a barrel tube surrounded by a barrel shroud.

I have seen a PPC revolver with a factory barrel re-lined to increase the twist rate from OEM 1 in 16" to 1 in 10" or 12". You would never know it was done.

However one has to wonder why a barrel re-line for a fixed sighted gun?

This is a bobbed hammer gun with a Hillary hole. I am leaving it bobbed. I do have a spare spurred hammer. I think this was a security guard weapon but it has no markings to indicate that.

I am working on it to smooth and polish the exterior and working parts. I was able to hit two litre bottles at 53 yards. Generally on the second or third shot. So it seems worth fixing up.

Thanks for the feedback. I am heading out to zero some long guns for my first varmint shooting trip. I saw two yellow bellies last week.

The Smith and Wesson 65-8 project is finished and waiting on a test firing. I removed the lock, cleaned, applied slight lube and installed Wolffe springs. The pull is much better and lacks the previous grittiness . Next I will do the same to my " new " model 64. This one has a serious ly thick 4" barrel and a spurred hammer which I can change to a bobbed hammer that I have on hand.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top