JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last December I took apart and cleaned my old 1965 Model 15 Smith and Wesson Revolver. It took patience as it was the first time I had done this project.

Today I took apart my "new" Model 65-8 that I bought to relieve wear and tear on the Model 15 that has been such a great shooter. The stainless is easier to clean after hard use. The gutter sights and bobbed hammer make it a great baseline for general hand gun fun. I will smooth it up if needed, install my Wolffe spring kit and give it a slight lube. What I found odd about this dash 8 is that the barrel crown appears to be a screw in part.

I also cleaned a magazine for my Sig M11A1. Also polished up my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie.

IMG_20200331_155435.jpg

S&W 65's have not been made for too many years to remember. At that time, 65's are solid heavy barrels. screwed into the frame. It's a one piece unit.
perhaps you can add a pic to demonstrate your oddity?

Hatman1793, thanks for your interest. I also have a Model 64 that I need to work on. It is made as expected. A very heavy, solid barrel and a normal hammer. I have a bobbed hammer available to swap into it but have not decided to do it yet.

IMG_20200404_123110.jpg IMG_20200404_123000.jpg

Thanks for the pics. It looks like a barrel re-line which is not an unheard of option. S&W would never do it or offer it, they would simply go to the revolver barrel parts bin & get another. But not today's S&W production of their new model 19's & 66's. They both employ a barrel tube surrounded by a barrel shroud.

I have seen a PPC revolver with a factory barrel re-lined to increase the twist rate from OEM 1 in 16" to 1 in 10" or 12". You would never know it was done.

However one has to wonder why a barrel re-line for a fixed sighted gun?

This is a bobbed hammer gun with a Hillary hole. I am leaving it bobbed. I do have a spare spurred hammer. I think this was a security guard weapon but it has no markings to indicate that.

I am working on it to smooth and polish the exterior and working parts. I was able to hit two litre bottles at 53 yards. Generally on the second or third shot. So it seems worth fixing up.

Thanks for the feedback. I am heading out to zero some long guns for my first varmint shooting trip. I saw two yellow bellies last week.

The Smith and Wesson 65-8 project is finished and waiting on a test firing. I removed the lock, cleaned, applied slight lube and installed Wolffe springs. The pull is much better and lacks the previous grittiness . Next I will do the same to my " new " model 64. This one has a serious ly thick 4" barrel and a spurred hammer which I can change to a bobbed hammer that I have on hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top