JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The trigger rework mentioned in the '357 help' thread sparked another question:

What's anyone think about mod'ing a revolver for moon-clips. A friend was pointing me at TkCustom for machine-work to allow moon-clips. If I'm remembering right, about $230 for the full kit -- cylinder work, clips and tools for inserting and removing shells from the clips.

I'd mentioned I was interested in trying IPCS/IDPA but figured I'd never place anywhere except first (and last) place in my group, since I'd be the only one pointing a revolver.

What are other favorite/worthwhile mods? Sights? The trigger work mentioned in the other thread... Mine has the Hogue grips, haven't tried comparing to other types but they seem to fit me well enough.

MrB+

While moon clips are cool, I don't know that I'd use them over speed loaders for that kind of money. I really like fiber optic or night front sights on my guns. A good trigger job is also worth while, with an emphasis on smoothing the trigger pull and pull weight only slightly reduced unless its only a competition gun.

While moon clips are cool, I don't know that I'd use them over speed loaders for that kind of money.

That's what I was figuring until I looked up what 10 or 12 speed loaders would cost. (I did say I was interesting in trying IPSC/IDPA above.) A goodly fraction of the cost of the moon-clip setup. The Sarariland units were specifically recommended to me -- $15- per each. The moon-clips also make it easier to collect your brass.

I really like fiber optic or night front sights on my guns. A good trigger job is also worth while, with an emphasis on smoothing the trigger pull and pull weight only slightly reduced unless its only a competition gun.

I'm not planning a competition-only gun, but still believe it'd be easier to shoot well if the pull for cocking the hammer wasn't so stiff, so very different from the force req'd once the hammer is ready to drop. I find myself feeling for the 'second click,' then getting serious about aim for the final stage of the trigger stroke. That seems like bad style...

Which leads me to why I want to try the IPSC shoot -- not because I think I can be the next Speed Racer at the action pits, but because I think I could really benefit from some mentoring when it comes to being smooth and safe. And becoming faster while remaining smooth and safe.

MrB+

Moon clips are absolutely the fastest tool for reloading a revolver, and if you were planning on purchasing that many speedloaders, you might as well go ahead and do it if it's a revolver you like that much and intend to compete with.

If its a competition gun, you can always have the cylinder refaced and the barrel set back. This gives the opportunity to accomplish several tasks. First, it regulates the velocities from each chamber. It does this by making the gap between the barrel extension and the cylinder closer to the same for every chamber. It also gives the gunsmith an opportunity to set the gap to the proper .003" to .004" between the cylinder and the barrel extension (the cylinder endshake should also be fixed here). This will allow the gun to lose minimal gas pressure out the gap and yet still function reliably. The forcing cone can also, and in fact usually has to be, recut. It gives the owner the chance to experiment with some of the more target oriented angles in the forcing cone.

Obviously a good trigger job should be done. I agree with the poster above who said that the pull should be smoothed, but not lightened terribly. Lightening the trigger too much can cause inconsistent primer ignition. Special attention should be paid to the double action pull, as that's more often than not what's used in both a carry gun and competition gun.

I like to change sights. If you are interested in speed, then a v-notch rear and either a round gold bead or fiber optic is an excellent option. If its more a target gun, the rear sight can generally be replaced with a stronger square notch blade, perhaps serrated. I still prefer a gold bead front sight for this application, but several other options are good as well.

I like the moon clips. They offer several advantages. First, to make sure you're aware, most guns can be fired without the moonclip if necessary, even after the mod is done. Second, the speed of the reload is very fast with moonclips. I find myself a hair quicker with them than with tradition speedloaders. Another nice feature is that when you hit the extractor, all the cartridges are connected, so basically, one comes out, all come out. Very nice, no more sticky cases. TK does a nice job with this mod. I wouldn't worry too much about the tool to load up the moonclips, but you definitely want to buy their clips, as its convenient and you know they should work. The empty shell removal tool is indispensable...

There are of course other mods, but these are the ones I do most often to my personal guns. It can get expensive, but if you do it piecemeal, it can get done. Some of the sight mods you should be able to do yourself, which can also save you money.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top