JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The title kind of says it; does anyone make a wheelgun in .50 GI? If not, maybe someone like Bowen making one would be doable? Presumably the base gun would be something in .45 ACP.

Anywho, I find the cartridge interesting, so figured I'd ask. Thanks. :)

Maybe a .50 case necked down to .45, like a 45NAA?
200.gif

I've got a S&W 500 in a revolver and rifle, love the power, but really like weird sh!t. I'll be following this thread to see what comes of it. Revolvers are my thing and I like pistol cartridge revolvers, my 929 is my favorite by far. But, with a stock of close to 100lbs of 50cal projectiles waiting to be loaded, if there is another mildish cartridge option, I may join the club!

Like cutting a .45 Colt for .45ACP, I don't see why you wouldn't do it to a .500 S&W. All you need are the moon clips and someone to shave down the cylinder. You'd still be able to shoot .500 S&W.

Converting calibers is so difficult you might as well start with a .41.

Like cutting a .45 Colt for .45ACP, I don't see why you wouldn't do it to a .500 S&W. All you need are the moon clips and someone to shave down the cylinder. You'd still be able to shoot .500 S&W.

Converting calibers is so difficult you might as well start with a .41.
I think the allure is having a fairly compact 50 cal revolver. Similar to some of the English bulldog pistols in .50 tranter and the like. Maybe using the cylinder and barrel would be a good starting point for a custom frame but that starts getting expensive quick.

Last Edited:
I think the allure is having a fairly compact 50 cal revolver. Similar to some of the English bulldog pistols in .50 tranter and the like. Maybe using the cylinder and barrel as a starting point for a custom frame but that starts getting expensive quick.
The most compact big bore frame is the S&W N, which was designed for .44. I don't know if you can wedge .50 in there. If not you're going to jump up to a Redhawk or larger, and compact is somewhat out the window.

Couldn't be done in an N frame, not enough room in the cylinder for the cases to clear the ratchet and have enough cylinder wall to be safe. You can see in the pic of my 625 how thin the cylinder wall is. Nevermind the fact that there are no 5 shot ratchets for N frames to use, one would have to be custom made.

The smallest double action it could possibly work in is a Redhawk. The cylinder is just enough larger than an N frame that it could still work, but it would have to be a 5 shot. Then you would also need custom moon clips or rimmed cases, in which case you might as well use an existing rimmed case like the 500 linebaugh or special.

I think your 2 best options for a .50 revolver besides a .500 Mag are either;

1) Have an X frame custom chambered for a 6 shot .50. You would already have the correct barrel and the reduced thickness cylinder walls probably wouldn't matter with the reduced pressure. You run into issues with the ratchet again, would probably need one custom made, and I don't know if .45 moons work with .50 GI. The rim is the same but not sure about the other dimensions. It would also be a behemoth of a revolver for what it is.

2) Have a Ruger Redhawk custom cylinder made for .500 Special. It's the same case length as .44 mag so it will fit lengthwise, and 5 shot ratchets already exist. It would be as simple as buying an unbored 5 shot cylinder, having it bored for .500 special, and having the barrel rebored for .50 caliber. Certainly not cheap but I think this is your best chance of getting something remotely packable.

20220417_234806.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads