JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.44 Special.
You mean this cartridge..

20220731_143902.jpg

If you actually want information from me about my choice of revolvers for any particular purpose, don't start by characterizing my choice as crazy.

Who else here keeps/carries a SA/DA or just DA for personal/domestic safety, and what is your rationale?

For me, it's simple with a SA/DA. if the next index on the cylinder has a round in it, no safety, no checking the chamber to prevent a double feed (if you always have one in the chamber), no having to retract the slide to chamber...if someone is an immediate threat, you've got only a second or two to pull & shoot.
I don't feel any less armed with a good full size revolver than I do with a full size semi auto. Both are bigger than I would carry every day, but as a home defense gun sure why not. DR

I could never bring it home with a revolver. But when my hubby got me a Sig 226 MK 25 it really came together. It has never hiccupped on any ammo. Just remember, when you wake up in the night, and the business is on, and your mouth goes dry and your heart is pounding in your throat, you will only fight the way you have trained. Whatever you can hit with is best.

Taurus 605 is capable of .357 mag. Doesn't mean I don't have .38sp loaded.

Ballistics. I want to hit the threat, not my neighbors house, property or family.

If you actually want information from me about my choice of revolvers for any particular purpose, don't start by characterizing my choice as crazy.
It wasn't a direction at you, personally, I expect that we're all adults, and can take a soft joke in stride...or are you having fun with me?

Bedroom pistol is an old school Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44spl. With 3 speed loaders. old school Winchester Silvertips segmented hollow points

If it won't stop the threat it will dam sure make sure they leave deaf.

Nothing 'wrong" with using a revolver for personal or home defense.

Just like any other firearm....
Learn to use it well and within it's limitations.
if you can use it well and it works for your situation...then you will be fine.

At one time the only large caliber handgun I had was a Colt 1860 Army replica.
Not the "best" choice nowadays for most folks for sure.
But...
It was what I had...I shot it well and knew it's limitations.
Being a member of a muzzle loading club , I got to know the revolver and its ins and outs very well.

I state the above , not as a recommendation for the use of a cap and ball revolver for personal / home defense...

Just saying that if you have a firearm , don't get all hung up on :
'It's not what the internet guys / you tube guys / shooting guru guys say is the best / to use / whatever...."

No need to roll over and wait to die , 'cause your firearm of choice or of the moment , is what someone else thinks or says is subpar.
Andy
Edit to add :
I'm way more modern now with my personal defense / home defense handgun....its a Colt Series '70 Government Model... :D
so the question I have, is my ruger lcr in 327 more newfangled or old fashioned? I find myself carrying it a bit more these days because I shoot it well. I also sometimes carry an 8 shot redhawk.

so the question I have, is my ruger lcr in 327 more newfangled or old fashioned? I find myself carrying it a bit more these days because I shoot it well. I also sometimes carry an 8 shot redhawk.
I like those Redhawks...I had an early one in .45 Colt for a bit...traded it for a somewhat custom Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt.
I'd say newfangeld by the way....:D
Andy

WHAT? I DONT GET IT..WRITE IT DOWN..I CAN'T READ LIPS.

🤣 Silverton...do you know the Mulkeys on drift creek road? Lloyd is a helluva nice guy. Very smart. Good machinist. His grandson Rob & I are close friends.

He's gotta be in his mid 80's if he hasn't passed already.

It wasn't a direction at you, personally, I expect that we're all adults, and can take a soft joke in stride...or are you having fun with me?
What!!! Of course you meant me! Grrr! Snarl! Fffft!
Just kidding. I know you weren't directing your remark at me personally, @CGm1903 . Just telling you this thread title eliminated my willingness to participate. I suspect I'm not alone. Look at how short the responses are. Usually us revolver fans run on in 9-part harmony given any excuse at all. But I suspect I'm grumpier than usual, and I can be grumpy about thread titles anyway. And it's too cofefe hot!!! At least your thread title says what it was about, so it coulda been much worst. Peace.

.44 Special.
Before they finally started making some nice sub compact autos I ended up with a couple old Charter 5 shot 44 sp's. Did a little work on them and there were a great gun for when I did not want to carry my 1911. Really wish I had kept at least one of those things. They were the reason I started rolling my own ammo. In those days us common folk could not order ammo and .44 sp ammo was hard to find and when you did they had ONE to choose from. :(

A revolver is the closet you will get to GUARANTEED functioning!

Then there is MURPHY'S LAW and semi autos do and will malfunction.
A revolver, not so much.
I personally prefer a revolver.
I've had more problems with wheel guns than SA.

The revolver is a common nightstand gun for non-gun people. Especially little J-Frame types (and clones). A lot of them are inherited/handed down.

When people find out I'm a gun nut sometimes they show me these little revolvers and want to know if it is "okay" or "good" (for home defense). I always tell the same thing: the best gun for you is the one you can hit your target with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top