JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started out with a S&W Model 10, then to a 686. Just a quick note, anything less than a N frame Smith is garbage for the 357...I ran 2 686s into junk in short order...they can't handle the pressure of the magnum cartridge.

Holsters.. Safariland was king back then...in my opinion. There were many on the market...Bianchi, Rogers, Blocker, am sure I'm missing a few names.

Geez Tits, you're bringing back a lot of memories here. I ran a straight drop, with an exposed trigger, and passive retention...meaning tightened screw pressure only. The famed level 4s hadn't been invented yet.

I recall the clam shell, swivel and FBI raked cant being all the rage back then. I was in the minority running a straight mid-ride drop...somewhat of an Askins style, as I've got a fairly good length of wing span.

The others mentioned would have the shooter in some obnoxious positions on the draw, which made them slow, and in an extremely bad position for defense of themselves and the firearm...as they were off balance.

I recall being a bit ridiculed for my holster decision, but I could draw without much effort in any position...working around obstacles etc, and even though it didn't have retention devices like we see today, but was still tough to have it taken.

I had something like this in '79-80, but I believe it was made by Buchheimer (think this one's a Hume). S&W Model 19, 4-inch. Had to turn it in when I left. Some of the older deputies still had loops for cartridges on their belts; I eventually got a speedloader pouch.

We had no problems with our K-frame Smiths that I ever heard of, and most of the guys in the SO loved to shoot, a lot.
il_1140xN.3346118747_574d.jpg

Last Edited:
Mine was the Safariland featured in part two in the article linked above by @titsonritz . It was a front break with a thumb snap but not covering the top of the gun. Some of our officers carried swivels because they like how they rode in a vehicle. Most did not find drop level holsters very comfortable (unless a swivel) because of riding in vehicles.

Our academy holsters were terrible. A side snap and no other retention so you gun could fall out easily if the strap was not attached...which happened often during push ups during inspections. I think the Tac Staff chose them for this reason, lol. Fortunately never to me. Pretty sure still have both in the holster box we all have...except between the bride and me we have four I think.

Cool thread!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top