JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My speed loaders are HKS types that require a twist on a knob … I wish I had Speed Beez or Safariland push button type, I will add them to my gear stash later.

Specials will work better than full length Magnums, the shorter round loads faster and ejects better from the cylinder. Not to mention the recoil will be much more manageable. ICORE requires a power factor of 120, which with a .44 slug can be reached almost by throwing the bullet by hand at the target ;).

Competing with a S&W 29 would be challenging on the reloading. I think I will try the ICORE
at Wolverton. Clark Rifles does a monthly falling plate match with a revolver class. I like
my 625 for competition. Low mount Burris Fastfire.
View attachment 604441

Ron,

It's my understanding that Clark Rifles no longer allows non-members to shoot their matches. Is this correct, I know you are a member there.

For things like pins, however, I think I'd stick with full power, 240-grain loads though.
In my own pin experience, I discovered an unexpected aspect of 44 mag + pins;

1) typically so destructive of the pins our match director does not allow full bore 44 Mag loads as they simply destroy the pins too fast; I have seen too often the 44 Mag will blast out large chunks of the pin but fail to knock them off the table; the 44 special have tremendous momentum & do not simply shred & shatter the pins;. In our local match the pin has to fall off the table to count.-

2) My own accuracy is far better with 44 special, as somewhere along the line I developed too much of a flinch for fast/accurate enough pin game;

3) I use speed bees as well, but in my 22 revolvers; and I use speed loaders where possible in 41/44S/44M as well as 357 use....however, the moon clip set up is faster time reloading in 627/327 8 shot independent of the load recipe.
:confused:

This touches on a good point. The speedloaders I have for the 29 are, with one exception, Speed Beez. I really like them and they are fast. But I'm, naturally, open to suggestions.

Thanks for the tips. I can always run Specials in the 29. They are a pussycat, recoil-wise, in that platform. For things like pins, however, I think I'd stick with full power, 240-grain loads though.

I have had extremely good service out of Safariland speedloaders. Including back in the day when I shot a M29. I am not a fan of chamfering cylinders on a DA revolver.

I have had very good luck with truncated cone lead bullets out of my revolvers. By a large margin the fastest I have loaded.

One reason I would not compete (as well as did not carry one on duty) with a M29 as most have target triggers in them. I much prefer the combat (smooth) triggers for double action work.

I'll remove the extractor star before I chamfer to eliminate the increased potential of a case slipping under during extraction.

I also use Ayoob's Stressfire reloading method that all but guarentees no case will do this and all the cases extract.

I like that it uses your strong hand to handle the speesloader and it's good tactics to hold the revolver in this fashion for weapons retention.

Even though I don't carry a revolver for PD, I think it's always good to practice sound techniques.

Guest of a member is allowed. Let me know you can be my guest. 4th Sunday
Thanks! I will most likely take you up on this ... especially if one of my boys can attend too. I'm not trying to push the invite, no is a perfectly fine answer for any reason.

It's been a long time since I've shot at Clark Rifles!

I'll remove the extractor star before I chamfer to eliminate the increased potential of a case slipping under during extraction.

I also use Ayoob's Stressfire reloading method that all but guarentees no case will do this and all the cases extract.

I like that it uses your strong hand to handle the speesloader and it's good tactics to hold the revolver in this fashion for weapons retention.

Even though I don't carry a revolver for PD, I think it's always good to practice sound techniques.

You hit it precisely on the head. Drives me nuts to this day to see right hand dominant revolver shooters reloading them with their left hand. Yeah, try that one in the dark, in the rain, under stress.

Semper Fidelis Brother

Interesting idea. It has been a while since I've hunted, and never have with handguns, just long guns, but something new is always neat-o.
I did a lot of jackrabbit gunning with a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 with a 5.5" barrel. The Ruger Single Six is still fun on sage rats. The barrel was cut to 7.5" to fit my flap holster. Shooting double action is now my past time. However my steel targets are not at all zippy.

inquiring minds wonder about this, please elaborate:eek:

Where the back edge of the cylinder has radius's cut/polished to allow the cartridges to chamber easier. I do not prefer it for a few reasons: I believe it is harder on the brass, a biggie as I reload to include my daily carry fodder for the revolver (my 45ACP used factory as I still have a case of the stuff on hand) ... to name a couple.

Granted I may be incorrect and all wet in my opinions (not a great fan of AR's either, even though I am a Colt trained armorer on the things) ... that opinion goes back to the M16A1s we were issued back in my days in the Corps. But yes, I do own one but it does not have a single Colt brand part in it, neither does my 1911.

I believe it is harder on the brass, a biggie as I reload to include my daily carry fodder for the revolver (my 45ACP used factory as I still have a case of the stuff on hand) ...
thanks for your comments; I don't pretend to 'be right' this is only personal observation: over about a 20 year period I reloaded multiple times, 45 acp brass for the same set of 1911s/625s for range/target use. Never had any issue with feed/loading/brass life, and ammo recipe was eventually worked to the point where I got virtually identical accuracy with same recipe from either platform.

thanks for your comments; I don't pretend to 'be right' this is only personal observation: over about a 20 year period I reloaded multiple times, 45 acp brass for the same set of 1911s/625s for range/target use. Never had any issue with feed/loading/brass life, and ammo recipe was eventually worked to the point where I got virtually identical accuracy with same recipe from either platform.

I would give my first born, left eye, a hand and a few toes to find an affordable 4" 25/625 in Colt. As big holes almost always trump little holes.

It is amazing the habits/formula we work into our handloading. I started as a boy with an Herters (boat anchor) press in 1969/70 or so.

Have a good one my friend!

...Where the back edge of the cylinder has radius's... I believe it is harder on the brass...

Hey there Zoomie …

Not trying to put up an argument … just a serious question. How is a small chamfer on the cylinder going to affect the brass in a negative way. In my case I'm shooting a GP100 that has very crisp 90-degree edges that actually scrap a bit on the casing, especially when trying for a rapid reload from speed loaders. This scrape is not enough to affect the brass but it is visible. My thinking is that the smoother edge would actually reduce any negative effects on the brass.

The chamfer I'm talking about is tiny, just enough to ease the edge so there is no problem with an unsupported portion of the case. Back when PPC was highly popular most revolvers had this small chamfer from the factory and there was a brisk gunsmithing business in doing it if your particular revolver did not have this done. I never heard of any negative issues. I'm willing to learn however.

Semper Fi!

Hey there Zoomie …

Not trying to put up an argument … just a serious question. How is a small chamfer on the cylinder going to affect the brass in a negative way. In my case I'm shooting a GP100 that has very crisp 90-degree edges that actually scrap a bit on the casing, especially when trying for a rapid reload from speed loaders. This scrape is not enough to affect the brass but it is visible. My thinking is that the smoother edge would actually reduce any negative effects on the brass.

The chamfer I'm talking about is tiny, just enough to ease the edge so there is no problem with an unsupported portion of the case. Back when PPC was highly popular most revolvers had this small chamfer from the factory and there was a brisk gunsmithing business in doing it if your particular revolver did not have this done. I never heard of any negative issues. I'm willing to learn however.

Semper Fi!
So far, my experience with a 625 and chamfered cylinders has been a lot more positive than negative. The moonclips feed much easier, and the loads are fairly light, so no swelling of the cases.

I'm baffled by Miculeks reloading technique. I used to try to watch reruns of his reload but it was always so fast my machine was unable to do stop motion/ultraslow to see what was going on.

I've watched a lot of his stuff. It is always uplifting, he has been so gracious and relaxed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top