JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
say - I went shooting yesterday and after i was done I started to clean it. I did my usual routine, but I am seeing discoloration on the cylinder from what appears to be caused from escaping gas. although I used solvent - I couldn't get it all off.

is there a trick here? I use hoppe solvent

someone said steel wool - any experience here?

I used to own an S&W 686 that showed this "staining" from powder/gas escaping. I either cleaned it up with a piece of "Wipeaway" gun cleaning cloth. It's designed to remove lead and carbon. Another method is a tooth brush and tooth paste.

On the "Wipeaway", I don't know what today's formula is but when I used it 30 years ago they warned that it would take off bluing. I only used it on Stainless firearms so it wasn't an issue for me. Worked great.

Toothbrush and polishing compound (for car rims). I've always considered that "staining" as normal with use. If you really wanna get it 100% off you'll probably have to use a dremel

There's a product made in Germany called "Simichrome". I use it on stainless steel and nickle plated guns as a final finish polish.
A little goes a long way. Use your fingers, than wipe off with a soft terry cloth rag.
Any decent sporting goods store will have it.

There's a product made in Germany called "Simichrome". I use it on stainless steel and nickle plated guns as a final finish polish.
A little goes a long way. Use your fingers, than wipe off with a soft terry cloth rag.
Any decent sporting goods store will have it.
wow i checked this out - this stuff appears almost too good to be true. even if I dont use it on the gun, i need a tube.

yeah I probably shaved 1/8 inch off the face with the buffing and polishing - I will just load lighter rounds tho. :)

Isn't that about 20 times what most manufacturers consider acceptable? An ideal gap is close to .006" and you are indicating that yours could be >.125".

If so, please stand a little farther away from the guys on the range. I doubt they would like to be sprayed with the blast from that gap. By just loading down, iIf the gap is big enough you may loose too much pressure and end up lodging a bullet half way down the bore.

Polishing? Sounds more like "filing" or "grinding".

Isn't that about 20 times what most manufacturers consider acceptable? An ideal gap is close to .006" and you are indicating that yours could be >.125".

If so, please stand a little farther away from the guys on the range. I doubt they would like to be sprayed with the blast from that gap. By just loading down, iIf the gap is big enough you may loose too much pressure and end up lodging a bullet half way down the bore.

Polishing? Sounds more like "filing" or "grinding".

I'm just guessing, but I sensed he was joking. :s0155: Pretty sure most of us would recognize that sort of gap to be a bit of a concern. :D

I'm just guessing, but I sensed he was joking. :s0155: Pretty sure most of us would recognize that sort of gap to be a bit of a concern. :D

One never knows:cool:

My favorite "You'd think that everyone would know" situation is the guy that fires a "squib" and when you look over, you see the hammer coming back for the next shot. At least at our club we have stout blast shields between lanes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top