Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

revolver cleaning

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tlfreek, May 30, 2011.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

say - I went shooting yesterday and after i was done I started to clean it. I did my usual routine, but I am seeing discoloration on the cylinder from what appears to be caused from escaping gas. although I used solvent - I couldn't get it all off.

is there a trick here? I use hoppe solvent

someone said steel wool - any experience here?

2. tlfreek

BTW the revolver is stainless - a very nice gun excluding what appears to be carbon deposits.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I used to own an S&W 686 that showed this "staining" from powder/gas escaping. I either cleaned it up with a piece of "Wipeaway" gun cleaning cloth. It's designed to remove lead and carbon. Another method is a tooth brush and tooth paste.

On the "Wipeaway", I don't know what today's formula is but when I used it 30 years ago they warned that it would take off bluing. I only used it on Stainless firearms so it wasn't an issue for me. Worked great.

4. Gzus

Gzus portland-ish Member

Toothbrush and polishing compound (for car rims). I've always considered that "staining" as normal with use. If you really wanna get it 100% off you'll probably have to use a dremel

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's a product made in Germany called "Simichrome". I use it on stainless steel and nickle plated guns as a final finish polish.
    A little goes a long way. Use your fingers, than wipe off with a soft terry cloth rag.
    Any decent sporting goods store will have it.

6. tlfreek

wow i checked this out - this stuff appears almost too good to be true. even if I dont use it on the gun, i need a tube.

7. deadshot2

Just remember that it is a polish. If you want to retain any satin or matte finish, simichrome can buff it out and you'll eventually have a mirror finish. OK if that's what you want.

8. tlfreek

done - i used a few metal polishes i had. gunk removed. Gun looks great again.

thanks for the tips.

9. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if over time this polishing of the cylinder face will increase your barrel to cylinder gap...? I don't worry about the deposits other than getting what I can off with a toothbrush and solvent. YMMV :)

10. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i use the lead removing cloth. it works well. does not affect the finish that i can tell.

11. tlfreek

yeah I probably shaved 1/8 inch off the face with the buffing and polishing - I will just load lighter rounds tho. :)

12. deadshot2

Isn't that about 20 times what most manufacturers consider acceptable? An ideal gap is close to .006" and you are indicating that yours could be >.125".

If so, please stand a little farther away from the guys on the range. I doubt they would like to be sprayed with the blast from that gap. By just loading down, iIf the gap is big enough you may loose too much pressure and end up lodging a bullet half way down the bore.

Polishing? Sounds more like "filing" or "grinding".

13. CIPuyleart

CIPuyleart La Center, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm just guessing, but I sensed he was joking. :thumbup: Pretty sure most of us would recognize that sort of gap to be a bit of a concern. :D

14. tlfreek

nicely done :) if I hadn't stopped I wouldn't have any gun left - just a pile of dust.

15. deadshot2

One never knows:cool:

My favorite "You'd think that everyone would know" situation is the guy that fires a "squib" and when you look over, you see the hammer coming back for the next shot. At least at our club we have stout blast shields between lanes.