JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with PBP. It's fun to occasionally think of the action hero shootout with a bubblegumin soundtrack playing and terrorists shooting at you with full autos but actually preparing for that and burdening yourself every day trying to conceal a SBR AR-15 under your coat would get old really quick.

If you live by the rule that "it is unlikely to happen to me so I don't need it" then you don't need a weapon at all since the odds are you will never need one, so using as the bar "low odds" as the deciding factor you should be talking yourself out of carrying at all.
True most people who carry every day will never need it. But I think by carrying (even if it's just a low capacity popgun) daily you are ahead of the curve.
You have to factor in practicality as well as likely scenarios. You've gotta decide how far you are willing to go to prepare for the very low odds. Bonneville dam may rupture and cause a massive wave to come my way today but I'm not going to burden myself by carrying an inflated rubber raft around.

I can understand peoples decision to carry a wheelgun as it is less likely to malfunction but I like hi cap guns. Like it's been said, it's less than likely that you will empty the mag on a bad guy but doesn't mean having more ammo is a bad thing.

Assuming that both types are equally as comfortable and concealable when carried, the revolver vs. semi-auto argument boils down to a question of odds; the odds of a semi-auto jamming vs. the odds of your life depending upon having more than the 5 or 6 rounds available in a revolver.

I would speculate that there has probably never been a documented case where a civilian carrying a concealed revolver lost a gunfight due to its ammo capacity vs. that of a comparably sized semi-auto. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

The nature of the threats that a civilian permit-holder is likely to face lead me to believe that the inherent safety and simplicity of a revolver probably outweighs the potential risk of needing more rounds on tap.

I carry both types, but the one thing I am consistent on is that, whatever choice I make, it is DAO with no manual safety. If and when the poo hits the fan I want to be able to point and pull. I once missed a shot at a trophy-sized buck because, in my haste and excitement, I forgot to release the safety on my rifle. That is not a mistake I can afford to make in a life-or-death situation.

I think you should carry what you are comfortable with, whether it is a wheel gun or 17+1 Semi-Auto, as long as you can shoot well with it.

I usually carry based on probable threat day by day, depending on what I am doing and where I am going. For example, I think a 5 shot .38 would be perfect for jogging or going to the mailbox.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top