JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some know, I have recently returned to carrying a revolver as my EDC.

That spurred a lot of debate in another thread as to whether a revolver can handle the threats a person is likely to face in their daily lives. I am obviously a person that believes it can or I would not carry one. I read a lot of talk about running gun battles, quick reloading, reliability, and so forth. In the end my opinion is still unchanged. I just do not feel most of those reasons are plausible.

When I look at what I feel will be the most likely circumstances for me to need a gun they fall into two different categories. Threats I will face at home and threats I will face in public.

At home I do keep both a high capacity semi-auto, a shotgun, and a rifle. I do not think I am likely to need them all since the biggest threat I possibly see happening is a home invasion. The odds of that being done by half a dozen armed men is not large enough to even consider in my opinion. Still, it requires no extra effort to have these things at home so I do. They can also serve double duty as recreational weapons, hunting weapons, etc.

While in public I see a few different situations that I might likely find myself facing. Robbery, carjacking (have had it happen), getting between two gangs, and just being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a public shooting spree. In fact I have stated before that I feel the most likely situation I might find myself facing these days is being at the mall at the wrong time when some kook loses it and shoots up the place because he got fired from Hotdog on a Stick.

In all of the public situations I see myself facing I do not think I will ever be in a prolonged gun battle with anyone. In fact the vast majority of these situations are going to be over very quickly. The worst is most likely to be the mall shooting scenario, but even that would be over much quicker if there was an armed response from the crowd against the unsuspecting attacker. Since carrying a bigger gun with extra mags is an effort during daily life (unlike keeping guns at home) I choose not to burden myself with them.

Prolonged gun battles just do not happen IMHO. The images we all get in our head of fighting off multiple armed assailants from a fixed position are fun to consider and plan for...but it is kind of like planning on what you are going to do with your lottery jackpot. It is just harmless fantasy. Most robbery/mugging/carjacking situation are going to be resolved simply by pulling the weapon or by firing a single shot or maybe two. Even reports of gang shootings do not usually involve prolonged gun battles. Witnesses usually report a half dozen or so gunshots being fired total...and that is with two or three gang members shooting at each other.

Civilians just do not get into running gun battles. I just do not see it happening. I see reports all the time of people defending themselves and their homes with their firearms, but I never see the pitched battles so many people use as justification for a big gun with a 20 round mag being on their side daily. I have no issue with people carrying those guns, I just do not see the justification for it. If you do it you have to be willing to admit it is only because you want to do it. Trying to paint a scenario where it is necessary and anyone else that doesn't do it is somehow endangering themselves is not a valid position.

So in the end, I feel completely comfortable with my six shots of .38spl+p ammo on my side. I even admit that I probably do not need to carry it at all. I carry it because I want to carry it. Not because I need to carry it. I could probably be every bit as safe just by spending a little more time being aware of my surroundings and avoiding situations that might be dangerous. I do not need to ever be at a mall if I do not want to be...but I like to be so I carry just in case. And when I do carry, I carry what I feel is going to cover any threat I am likely to encounter while still being both comfortable and practical. I believe a gun should be BOTH comfortable AND comforting. Not one ofr the other. :)

Would love to hear other people's opinions and perspectives.

Although the situations that require a firearm don't come into play often (if at all), isn't it good to know that you have the proper tool if you need it? Better than reaching down and realizing you left (what I used to call "The Policeman's Wrench") at home. Besides, given the gun laws in Mass, you probably COULD take Bunker Hill - they aren't expecting an attack. :)

a good home defense weapon should allow you to hold the line until the police or help arrives, I'm not planning on full scale war,more likly a meth head looking for a easy score.I'm not sure how I feel about the "If less is more, think how much more more would be" philosophy.

Problem with that logic is that you are looking at the "supposed" majority of situations that you would need your weapon. I don't know about you, but it always seems like I am getting the one-in-a-million shot stuff! For example how many people over heat their car and dont do any damage? Me, blow an engine. How about tripping on something in the night and get a stubbed toe? Me, it's a broke ankle!

I don't want to take that chance. I am going to take the necessary steps to protect me and mine to most reasonable degree. Yeah, 5 rds would probably do it but with my luck I would stumble into a shootout with 6 thugs! Plus with my aim, I need all the help I can get!!!

I picture the average spray and pray situation, panic and or adrenaline taking over the brain.
I kinda figure that getting shot at will take the fire outta most people, but I don't really know.
I'm ok with mt 17+1 in a light and thin auto.

Whether you choose revolver or semi auto, i believe one reload should be on your person. a certain percentage of ammo goes into eliminating the threat, and the reload allows for further personal safety from the unseen. just my .02.

Whether you choose revolver or semi auto, i believe one reload should be on your person. a certain percentage of ammo goes into eliminating the threat, and the reload allows for further personal safety from the unseen. just my .02.

I agree. I do keep a speed strip in my pocket. It doesn't take any effort at all to do so. It is a lot smaller than my cell phone...and I am used to carrying that.

I agree. My 1911 holds 7+1. My goal is to survive the encounter; not take bunker hill.

I totally support the idea of carrying a revolver for your edc. If that's what you feel comfortable with, go for it. And I also agree with kimber custom as I also carry a 7+1 1911 for my edc and do not feel outgunned with only 8 rounds.

What do you use for revolver EDC?

I have a few. My preferred guns are my S&W m60, S&W m640, and my Colt Detective Special SF-VI (which I currently carry).

SWm60.jpg

SWm640.jpg

ColtSF-VI.jpg

You're right to not feel out-gunned with a low capacity pistol because more than likely you won't be taking on multiple threats but carrying a spare mag/speed loader and/or BUG isn't really that hard. The possibility exists that you may need more rounds, as unlikely (thankfully) as that is, its probably around as unlikely as needing the pistol in the first place but nobody ever lost a gun fight from sending too many rounds downrange.

It's your life.. however when that great cosmic roulette wheel comes up with your number you have no idea what it will be, and your hopes for an easy scenario may be quickly squicked

For me and capacity/caliber it's like this: I would rather have and not need it than need it and not have it

I sincerely doubt that anyone who has ever used a gun for serious social work wished they had entered the confrontation with fewer rounds available. That said, I do not feel under gunned with 2 revolvers and a couple of speed loaders.

I carry only to keep it as natural as possible because the odds are very remote I will need it and probably never will. How ever bad things happen and we all know that. So you run out of lucky stars one night and it happens to you at a diner some where.

You're relaxed and enjoying the evening night out on the town as before so many other times, never considering your armed.

Well somebody is going to experience a shooting situation somewhere before we chew the fat off this topic. And yes like the lotto, some lucky dog wins. Well it could be you. And you just happen to have your weapon of choice and nobody knows and you don't really consider it much so you are perfectly natural. But guess what? You have it. There if needed.

PBP, this is OT, but man.......I carry my 442 daily and it looks like it's been sand blasted.......how in the heck do you get your revolvers to look like that?

On topic, I took my first defensive handgun class on Sunday with Oregon Firearms Academy and seriously debated whether or not to take the class with the wheel gun that is usually in my pocket. I will probably re-take the class with my wheel gun, but at this point I was glad I took it with my M&P as there were so many skills to learn. I think it woudl have detracted from the class trying to learn to quickly/effectively reload or partially reload with my speed strips or speed loaders. I could be wrong. So in answer to the OT, I agree you can be effective with a wheel gun, I just think it takes a bit more work and a few more skills.

I will add a few thoughts,

"one is none, and two is one" your shooting skills will fall way off under stress, so for me this applies to capacity was well, your ability to hit the target will fall off and what you might normally be able to hit with ease will be harder to hit, so more is better in case you miss.

Under stress your ability to do fine motor skills also falls off, so an easier to reload weapon will serve you better.

If you live by the rule that "it is unlikely to happen to me so I don't need it" then you don't need a weapon at all since the odds are you will never need one, so using as the bar "low odds" as the deciding factor you should be talking yourself out of carrying at all.

In every video of a gun fight I have seen except one, once the shooting started everyone ran, unless I have love ones in danger, I will too, so the fight will be very short, and the need to be accurate and fast with a few rounds will be the most important thing.

Adjust your thinking based on the world events and local events and how much you are exposing yourself. plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I am not suggesting one is better than the other, but adding things to think about.

Anything can happen, I suppose. But I live my life according to the probabilities than the possibilities. In other words, I agree with you on that point.

I just got done reading The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovett (Amazon...$10) which I recommend to you. He argues that most threat encounters outside of warfare (and some police work) materialize at what he terms Extreme Close Quarters (a probability in a world of possibilities). At these short, intimate contact distances, the DA revolver excels over the auto in terms of its reliability. I find Lovett's arguments intriguing if not compelling.

I have experimented around with all kinds of CC options since I first started CC-ing in 1977. and, like you, continue to experiment. I like to characterize that as open-mindedness. But I continually gravitate back to the smaller and to the lighter and to the "always there" platform rather than the bigger, heavier and "when I really think I might need it". I guess what I am saying is that maybe I wish I could commit to CC-ing a full size, all steel, higher cap auto for everyday, but, after having tried that again and again, I know that I cannot....or will not.

I can shoot the bigger, heavier pieces (both revolvers and autos) better than the lighter, smaller pieces. Who can't? So, it has become necessary for me to become proficient enough with the small revolver and the small auto at the ranges where they are really effective. That requires a greater discipline and a greater committment. I think I have done so.

By the way, let me know if you get tired of that DS.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top