JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted a poll a year or so back asking if people on the forum change their buying behavior if a business posts a political or religious view publicly in a non-professional or "passionate" way that is against your own beliefs would that shape how you shop. Quite a few people said it would, but others felt that they should be beholden to 1A.

Now that the election is over and most of the rhetoric has died down, I'm curious if there are any businesses (national chains, local stores, etc.) that you will consciously avoid or shop at because of their public stances during the election of firearms in general. Especially non-firearm-selling businesses.

Unrelated to guns, but the article that prompted me to ask the question again was this one on Obamacare and public perception:
Anti-Obamacare rhetoric guts Papa John's and Applebee's reputations - Life Inc.

I definitely try to support a business I agree with politically or religiously over one I don't. Having said that, it's often difficult to tell where they stand, and on what. So, in principal, absolutely. In practice, it can be very difficult.

As a pizza addict it would be hypocritical for me to say I would turn down a slice of Papa John's if one was offered to me just because I don't like the founder's political views, but other than that I won't eat at chick-fil-a(not hard as there is none around here), and I don't buy foreign made guns. I would boycott all foreign made products but then I wouldn't be able to get on the internet and I'd have to walk around naked and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

Because of their contribution history or because their food is generally inedible?
While both qualify as sound reasoning in my book, I actually started doing it because of their political donations being a part of the very definition of influence peddling.

Then I read about some of their poultry preparation practices, :s0001: and was glad I had given them up already!

As a past owner of a business it has always been my philosophy that putting up political signs is just plain stupid, as you are bound to alienate 50% of your potential customers. That said, I have to wonder what the heck they were thinking to do such a thing.

Anyhow, I do take stock of what signs businesses post, and if they do not fit my political philosphy I write them off as not any place I would ever shop again.

I don't care too much unless it is something that I have a major disagreement with. However I have a question for the OP. How are the companies in that article making a political statement?

Plenty of people told the "enlightened politicians" about the consequences of the ACA and penalties. This is not so much as a political statement as the cold reality of business.

I don't care too much unless it is something that I have a major disagreement with. However I have a question for the OP. How are the companies in that article making a political statement?

Plenty of people told the "enlightened politicians" about the consequences of the ACA and penalties. This is not so much as a political statement as the cold reality of business.

They aren't necessarily, which is why I stated it was unrelated to the question but got me thinking along those lines. There are a few businesses that publicly stated that if the President was re-elected (or Obamacare passed) they would fire employees, change their practices, etc. Seeing the article of businesses openly discussing changing their practices and seeing an article about the perception hit got me thinking again about how much it really matters to people here how a business conducts itself, or do people generally just care about the lowest price/specific product/etc.

They aren't necessarily, which is why I stated it was unrelated to the question but got me thinking along those lines. There are a few businesses that publicly stated that if the President was re-elected (or Obamacare passed) they would fire employees, change their practices, etc. Seeing the article of businesses openly discussing changing their practices and seeing an article about the perception hit got me thinking again about how much it really matters to people here how a business conducts itself, or do people generally just care about the lowest price/specific product/etc.

Gotcha. I tend to care more about the product and respect the right of the the business executives to voice their opinion. The only thing that affects my buying choices are that a few of the companies that were talking about how bad it would be if Obama was elected were some of the worst offenders when it comes to seeking protection from competition and public money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top