JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Read your review. You are correct in assuming that high sodium foods will increase the amount of water that you will need to consume. I could get into a detailed explanation of how the body and specifically the kidneys extract excess sodium but to keep it brief just remember that water follows salt.

I ate quite a bit of freeze dried and dehydrated foods when I backpacked. While people will eat just about anything in a survival situation there is something to be said about addeding spices to increase the appear of the food and make the experience more enjoyable. I think I would see what other options for this type of product there is as this particular product seams to leave something to be desired. I know from experience that Mountain Home makes some good backpacking food.

Dont feed the wife for a week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you kidding?///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////the dog no problem, he will find something to eat

Thanks for the review. How would you compare it to Mountain House Beef Stroganoff? The Mountain House brand Stroganoff is some of my favorite and has been since I first tasted it 40 years ago or so. I think it's the gold standard of freeze dried food myself.

Thanks for the review. How would you compare it to Mountain House Beef Stroganoff? The Mountain House brand Stroganoff is some of my favorite and has been since I first tasted it 40 years ago or so. I think it's the gold standard of freeze dried food myself.

billcoe, I've never tried anything else. In general I have the same concerns about portion size and the level of sodium. I do plan to try something from Mountain House though.

Peter

While it may be a little more expensive, having looked at some of the competition's products I think I will stick with Mountain House.

I had a look at the Nutritional Information Guide for the Beef Stroganoff Meat on the Wise website. See - 120 Serving Gourmet Freeze Dry Meat - Long-Term Food Supply and click on it.

It seems that something called "Dried Beef Extract" is a major ingredient of this "meat." I assume that this is an "extender" or "filler" of sorts.

Just as an FYI, I have also noticed that some of the large multi-person, multi-month food storage units from a variety of vendors and manufacturers include Soy based, TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) meat substitutes instead of authentic, Animal based protein (meat). It keeps the price down, but may not be what you want, need or expect. Read the product descriptions, labels and Ads very carefully before making a large purchase.

I found a place on Amazon to buy a trial kind of pack of this. $17. Will see how it stacks up. I did try one of the Mountainhouse and it was fine for what it is. Not something that would make me want to go hungry if there was some disaster and we could not get to the store for a while.

tumblr_mp2o9uzyRw1qcb5fko4_1280.jpg

Rather than responding negatively to thread revivals, I have a whole series of these photos I will be posting when a thread more than 2 years old is brought back to life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top