Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Review - Wise Co.'s Gourmet Seasoned Freeze Dry Beef Stroganoff

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ATCclears, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. James 61

James 61 Clark Co Washington Member

Read your review. You are correct in assuming that high sodium foods will increase the amount of water that you will need to consume. I could get into a detailed explanation of how the body and specifically the kidneys extract excess sodium but to keep it brief just remember that water follows salt.

I ate quite a bit of freeze dried and dehydrated foods when I backpacked. While people will eat just about anything in a survival situation there is something to be said about addeding spices to increase the appear of the food and make the experience more enjoyable. I think I would see what other options for this type of product there is as this particular product seams to leave something to be desired. I know from experience that Mountain Home makes some good backpacking food.

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

I agree with your wife, it looks like dog food,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that my dog barfed up!

4. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Don't feed wife or dog for a week then have them try it, and tell them thats all there is..

5. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

Dont feed the wife for a week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you kidding?///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////the dog no problem, he will find something to eat

6. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

YES

7. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Thanks for the review. How would you compare it to Mountain House Beef Stroganoff? The Mountain House brand Stroganoff is some of my favorite and has been since I first tasted it 40 years ago or so. I think it's the gold standard of freeze dried food myself.

8. ATCclears

billcoe, I've never tried anything else. In general I have the same concerns about portion size and the level of sodium. I do plan to try something from Mountain House though.

Peter

9. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

I'd have to starve for several days before that would look good.

At least Mountain Houses's Beef Stroganoff looks like Beef Stroganoff.

10. gearsource

gearsource WA Member

While it may be a little more expensive, having looked at some of the competition's products I think I will stick with Mountain House.

I had a look at the Nutritional Information Guide for the Beef Stroganoff Meat on the Wise website. See - 120 Serving Gourmet Freeze Dry Meat - Long-Term Food Supply and click on it.

It seems that something called "Dried Beef Extract" is a major ingredient of this "meat." I assume that this is an "extender" or "filler" of sorts.

Just as an FYI, I have also noticed that some of the large multi-person, multi-month food storage units from a variety of vendors and manufacturers include Soy based, TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) meat substitutes instead of authentic, Animal based protein (meat). It keeps the price down, but may not be what you want, need or expect. Read the product descriptions, labels and Ads very carefully before making a large purchase.

11. ATCclears