JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

A friend and I took the two-day 1911 Armorer's course from Steve at Cerberus Training in the Fall, I've been slow getting to this but I figured I'd leave a review (the other review from the same class is here: Just took the 1911 Class at Cerberus Training)

First off, Steve is very knowledgeable with many years of practical LE experience (and stories to boot), and I'd highly recommend anything he teaches. I'll be back when I have time for some of the AR platform armory classes for instance and more range training. Steve was able to tune the class across both days to exactly what we were looking for which was great, this really helped improve my skills across the board.

The first 8h day of the 1911 class was focused on the armorer's portion, including a complete teardown, cleaning, tuning, inspection and lube. Through Steve's experience he has a good idea of what exactly is needed to fix certain problems. I brought a fairly new midrange S&W Gov't model so it didn't need all that much work, but we tuned springs, did a nice trigger job and worked on the reliability in the well-equipped shop. My friend's more unique pieces included a couple of 1911s with more mileage, and a newly finished one from an 80% lower which needed lots of tuning work -- getting that one running was a big focus for us and a good way to learn stuff... takeaway is bring whatever you've got, Steve can help fix it up!

The second day was a series of drills on the range (the one with red rocks everyone keeps talking about :). Steve pretty much tuned the class to what we were looking for -- handling, accuracy, rapid recovery from FTEs and general tactical practice. Though I've been target practicing across a wide variety of platforms for a long time, I never really learned the fundamentals properly, and Steve is a really good instructor on this front (and his stories of what works well / doesn't from his field experience are enligntening). Overall I learned a lot from the second day of the class and I'd highly recommend Steve's range training too.

Logistically we ended up staying at a nearby hotel which worked out pretty well. If you're more than an hour away I'd definitely recommend staying nearby as the classes are intense and pretty tiring. Do remember to bring sunscreen, even when it's cool out there the sun is pretty intense.

Steve also has a custom line of 8-rd mags with strong springs and grab flanges on the bottom which I hadn't seen before... these are built for reliability and being easy to pull from holders or to clear a jam... these are worth looking into, I ended up getting a couple.

Overall I'd highly recommend any of the courses that Steve (or Cerberus Training) offers, his mix of practical experience and technical knowledge is phenomenal. I'll definitely be back for more armory work on the 1911 / AR platforms and range time over the next few years.

I've been a long-time reader of the forums here but haven't gotten around to registering until now.... usually you can find me in the classifieds section drooling over things I can't afford :)

All the best, and happy holidays!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads