JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You may already know, but there are two basic "grades" of 45-70 ammo.
Standard grade for modern rifles and a low pressure grade for the 1873 Trapdoor.
Find some trapdoor ammo or Cowboy Action ammo for less punishing ammo.
Thank you, I did not know about Trapdoor ammo, only the cowboy action. I plan to reload some cat sneeze loads so I can save the wife's shoulder eventually.

Thank you, I did not know about Trapdoor ammo, only the cowboy action. I plan to reload some cat sneeze loads so I can save the wife's shoulder eventually.
If you're buying regular ol 45-70 from someone like Remington or Federal, it will be a "Trapdoor" load. Only from the smaller manufacturers like Buffalo Bore or Garrett will you buy ammo loaded to higher pressures.
I had a Trapdoor Carbine that my wife shot one time. Standard 405 lead bullet at normal 45-70 velocity. She shot it standing and it pushed her around like a 12 gauge Target load would.
The recoil pad on the new Marlin will be helpful, especially if stepping up to some of the hotter loads.

If you're buying regular ol 45-70 from someone like Remington or Federal, it will be a "Trapdoor" load. Only from the smaller manufacturers like Buffalo Bore or Garrett will you buy ammo loaded to higher pressures.
I had a Trapdoor Carbine that my wife shot one time. Standard 405 lead bullet at normal 45-70 velocity. She shot it standing and it pushed her around like a 12 gauge Target load would.
The recoil pad on the new Marlin will be helpful, especially if stepping up to some of the hotter loads.
I agree, a 12 gauge shove with that ammo.
For fun shooting and a lighter recoil I'd look for lighter bullets and lower velocity.

It was a great range day with the new Marlin. Didn't kick as bad as 300 win mag that I'm familiar with. I think I need to swap scopes because this one was not holding zero maybe due to recoil. regardless it was a blast to shoot. No issues cycling at all, I'm very impressed with the build quality from Marlin/Ruger.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 6.23.39 PM.png

Well, I think maybe this depends on the 'people' and where their 'heads are at' with regard to gun ownership.

I am an active member of a very popular lever action gun based forum and the number of people on that forum who would not buy a threaded lever or disagree with them being threaded at all dramatically exceeds those on this forum who agree or think it should be a 'standard feature'. This was also the general consensus of the members of another lever action based forum I am no longer a member of.

Maybe it's become an 'industry standard' for some guns IE 'black guns', modern designs, plastic fantastics but I wouldn't call a suppressor an 'industry standard' accessory - considering what it takes to own one. Also when I look at guns on the racks at LGSs I see far more unthreaded than are threaded.

Bottom line is suppressors are a 'niche' accessory and if one wants one, and is willing to jump through the 'hoops' to have one there are plenty of guns available, factory threaded to accept them but it's not something certain styles of guns need (such as levers) where the number of those who want them fitted with a suppressor will be considerably lower than other styles - and admit they would NOT even buy one if threaded.

This!

Cate

this is from the book pictured, threaded barrels were available from factory way back when. Winchester discouraged this option.

View attachment 1105608 View attachment 1105609 View attachment 1105613 View attachment 1105616 View attachment 1105617
Perfectly true. As is often the case, what you believe is "new" is actually very old.

But...this thread is about Marlins. I would extend the same affirmative welcome to information discovered that shows Marlin did this "back in the day".

When we were skinny kids, we had a 1970 'texan' Marlin 1895. We would shoot factory 350gr loads out of it from a standing position.
Didn't hurt but it certainly moved us, usually in the form of the front leg lifting off for a second or two.

If we shot it at night we could see the glowing orange 'slug' fly out of the barrel into the darkness.

300 or 405gr LEAD bullets and 12gr of Unique with KAPOK filler - NOT any kind of non-natural material like dacron or acrylic. Shoot all day in comfort, like my buddy Ken's 10 y/o grandson with a Trapdoor.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top