JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a M1 super 90 I have shot quite a bit and had a M3 Super 90 that got a lot of action... I have had the M4 for maybe 4 years and just never got it in rotation. I'll rectify that soon

Yea, the M1 Super-90 is a sweet gun.
I'll have to do my research.. I assumed the M-4 to be gas operated as the OP said it was so soft shooting.. then some time later says it kicks hard with fighting ammo. I assumed it would initially be shot with what.. never mind.
and that's crazy about the tube shenanigans

I'll have to do my research.. I assumed the M-4 to be gas operated as the OP said it was so soft shooting.. then some time later says it kicks hard with fighting ammo. I assumed it would initially be shot with what.. never mind.

It is gas operated. I would call it fairly soft shooting compared to non gas shotguns but recoil is often relative to the shooter. Comparatively, I find 00 Buck and slugs to be "softer" out of the m4 than my 870. YMMV

I'd like to revive this thread to detail a couple more mods I made to the Benelli. The first is a charging handle from GG&G:
QCg0zdD8jtMvyi5YVYJnUF7lcojlY6ob-24.jpg
There are two main weak points to the M4, and the charging handle is the biggest one. The stock handle is small and hard to grasp after hundreds of rounds fired. (See my review of the Frontsight shotgun class). On day three of that class the charging handle started coming loose after racking the bolt hard during exercises. The GG&G handle is much larger and easier to grasp, and it's free spinning rather than the ¼ turn stop of the original.

The second most weak point is the bolt release button. It's small and hard to find under stress/timed exercises. Not being able to release the bolt back into battery because of that tiny button cost me big time during the Frontsight class. Therefore I installed a Dave's Metal Works Speed Bar.
Speed%20Bar_zpsqz3ee94z.jpg
It's nothing more than a thin strip of very hard metal that covers the button, and latches over the lip where the grip meets the receiver. There's absolutely no modification! As such, the surface area available to activate the bolt release has been increased about 500%, (maybe more).

Can't wait to try them both out with live fire!

Sorry I missed this post. The hard kick I described was from shooting 1600fps slugs. I found that 1200fps and above is enough to reliably cycle the action every time.

I'm seriously considering Benelli M4, but the r922 issues keep pushing me away from the gun. As I priced out parts I see that an extended tube is around $250. That puts r922 on the table, so more parts will need to be purchased. I've read that the length of pull on the OEM stock is quite long. I would likely want to change out the stock which is around $250. After replacing the tube, stock and adding relevant USA made parts to keep it r922 compliant I figure I'm putting proximately $3K into a shotgun. Just not sure there's $3k of "cool" with the M4. Those of you who owned one - correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Does anyone own both the Benelli M4 and FNH SLP tactical? Would enjoy hearing impressions between the two from an owner of both. The research I've done when comparing the two generally falls with the M4 getting the thumbs up. But if the FNH SLP tactical is as reliable as the M4 that's a route I would probably take.

I'm seriously considering Benelli M4, but the r922 issues keep pushing me away from the gun. As I priced out parts I see that an extended tube is around $250. That puts r922 on the table, so more parts will need to be purchased. I've read that the length of pull on the OEM stock is quite long. I would likely want to change out the stock which is around $250. After replacing the tube, stock and adding relevant USA made parts to keep it r922 compliant I figure I'm putting proximately $3K into a shotgun. Just not sure there's $3k of "cool" with the M4. Those of you who owned one - correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Does anyone own both the Benelli M4 and FNH SLP tactical? Would enjoy hearing impressions between the two from an owner of both. The research I've done when comparing the two generally falls with the M4 getting the thumbs up. But if the FNH SLP tactical is as reliable as the M4 that's a route I would probably take.

Sounds about right for outfitting the m4. I'm 6'4 with a 35" sleeve length so the factory LOP is fine for me. But yes, you're looking at approx $300, give or take for the basic 922R conversion/upgrade depending on which tube you go with and which parts you replace.

By all accounts the SLP is a great gun although I don't have much time behind one. Also consider the Benelli m2, albeit it's an inertia gun, but it starts out a bit cheaper and has far more aftermarket options. Also the Remington Versamax which I understand essentially copied the m4 gas system when the patents ran out. The Versamax seems to be gaining popularity on the 3Gun circuit and by most accounts is holding up and performing well...and there are no 922R issues to contend with since it's made in the USA.

Those are the four guns I'd be looking at in this category and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top