JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I had the opportunity to take the new Benelli M4 out for a test drive today, and I am super pleased with the results!

IMG_20161229_103845758_zps541mlc4h.jpg

This was taken today up at the shooting lanes off N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd. Sorry for the quality- front facing camera and all.

The M4 had the absolutely softest recoil of any 12 gauge shotgun I've ever fired. The length of pull on the stock is quite long, just over 14 inches if I recall, so it's perfect for a big tall guy like me. Smaller framed folks may find it off-putting. I like the ghost ring sight setup a lot. Trigger was crisp, and it feels like it breaks around 5lbs. Reset was very positive. The only thing I'm not crazy about the placement of the safety. It sits behind the trigger guard instead of forward which I feel is easier to manipulate. However, I'll get used to it.

I had read in many places that the Benelli is fickle in what ammo it eats when you're first breaking it in. I started out using Federal Heavy Field loads which is a high wall brass round with #6 shot. It ate every one of those without a single hiccup.

I next tried the el cheapo Estate Super Sport Competition Target Loads. They were on sale at Bi-Mart for $4.99 a box. The Benelli did NOT like these at all. I had multiple FTL's and FTE's. Perhaps these rounds were simply not meant for auto loaders. Either that or I need to shoot a lot more rounds through it before it loosens up and will shoot anything.

At any rate, I'm going to have a good time trying out different ammo, and hopefully getting the trap shooting down pat!

Last Edited:
I think I may have figured out why the Benelli didn't like the Estate brand ammo- it's rated at 1145fps.

Today I picked up six different brands of ammo, all rated 1200fps or faster. Hopefully that will give it the extra oomph it needs to reliably cycle the action.

Mine feeds the WallyWorld Federal bulk pack without a hitch.

Now get on the mods! You need a Carrier Comp mag tube, a new US made follower and one other "critical item" to make it 922R compliant...err...unless you have the adjustable stock on it and then you'll need one more additional "item."

Mine feeds the WallyWorld Federal bulk pack without a hitch.

Now get on the mods! You need a Carrier Comp mag tube, a new US made follower and one other "critical item" to make it 922R compliant...err...unless you have the adjustable stock on it and then you'll need one more additional "item."

Got a Dave's Metal Works mag tube extension, new spring, and new US made follower.

Nice! I hear Dave makes a really good product too.

I'm not really sure what the hullaballoo is about putting on a full length magazine tube on this shotgun. The tube extension went on with no tools, no heating of the receiver to break the Loctite, doesn't add any noticeable weight, and I like the way it breaks up the profile. Loaded seven rounds in the magazine no problems, ejected all seven, no problems.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did use my retaining ring pliers to remove/reinstall the retaining ring at the end of the mag tube that holds the spring. But that was it, I swear!;)

I'm not really sure what the hullaballoo is about putting on a full length magazine tube on this shotgun. The tube extension went on with no tools, no heating of the receiver to break the Loctite, doesn't add any noticeable weight, and I like the way it breaks up the profile. Loaded seven rounds in the magazine no problems, ejected all seven, no problems.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did use my retaining ring pliers to remove/reinstall the retaining ring at the end of the mag tube that holds the spring. But that was it, I swear!;)

The hullaballoo is two fold. First and foremost is that the removal of the factory tube triggers the 922R nonsense. And, historically, trying to understand what that meant, entailed and required was no small task. The white papers that exist on Carrier Comps and Freedom Fighters sites didn't always exist. So kudos to those that went before us, the Benelli Forum folks, and the vendors for flushing all this out. But there is still a fair amount of "hullaballoo" when folks realize that they will need to change three parts when all they really want to change is one...more time, energy and money than most originally planned for.

Secondly is the inherent logistical ease or difficulty of the actual factory tube removal. This is really luck of the draw. Whoever installed my tube at the factory liked locktite in a really unnatural way...like the way a boy in Kentucky likes his cousin. If you got yours off easily and without heating, that's great. You got lucky. Most do seem to require a bit of effort.

I have owned 2 of them. I had one back in the 90's. Did some wheelin and dealin then found another one about 10 years later. The single best feature I like about the gun. Is it is by fare the fastest semi auto shotgun I have ever shot. If I remember right, one of the selling points when they came out. Was that you could shoot 7 rounds in a row and be able to fire that 7th round before the first round hit the ground. I have another semi auto shotgun of a different brand that does not even come close.

Was this shotgun built from an imported "parts kit"? Or was it purchased as a complete firearm over the counter? If it was bought over the counter, than why would you worry about being 922 compliant?

I'll be the first to say that I am not a lawyer...so what the hell do I know.

But your opinion does seem to be somewhat unique when compared to industry opinions as it relates to the m4 specifically. There is fairly wide industry consensus that the act of modifying the m4 from its original 5 round configuration, triggers 922R requirements. Moreover, the ATF itself has responded in writing to direct inquiries regarding the intended modification of the m4 (ie replacing the factory 5 round tube with a 7 round magazine tube). So it does appear that the ATF itself regards 922R as being relevant...and that is the the opinion that I personally care about the most. While to the best of my knowledge nobody has been prosecuted to date under 922R for modifying an m4, I have no interest whatsoever in attracting ATF attention of any kind. To me, the peace of mind was worth swapping out a few parts. YMMV.

And if anyone has questions on this, the FAQ over at FFT's site does a far better job of explaining things than I ever could...

922(r) FAQ

Last Edited:
*UPDATE*

Took the Benelli out today to shoot some slugs as I needed to see how I handled it with these shells. All I can say is, YOWCH! 1600fps slugs kick like a mule! More so than even my Garand. I definitely need to get a wearable recoil pad if I'm going to take that 4 day tactical shotgun class down at Front Sight.

I'll be the first to say that I am not a lawyer...so what the hell do I know.

But your opinion does seem to be somewhat unique when compared to industry opinions as it relates to the m4 specifically. There is fairly wide industry consensus that the act of modifying the m4 from its original 5 round configuration, triggers 922R requirements. Moreover, the ATF itself has responded in writing to direct inquiries regarding the intended modification of the m4 (ie replacing the factory 5 round tube with a 7 round magazine tube). So it does appear that the ATF itself regards 922R as being relevant...and that is the the opinion that I personally care about the most. While to the best of my knowledge nobody has been prosecuted to date under 922R for modifying an m4, I have no interest whatsoever in attracting ATF attention of any kind. To me, the peace of mind was worth swapping out a few parts. YMMV.

And if anyone has questions on this, the FAQ over at FFT's site does a far better job of explaining things than I ever could...

922(r) FAQ

I would never, ever buy a Benelli M4, due to the whole 922(r) modification legality mess.

Plus the gun is so very expensive. I've not seen it listed anywhere for under $2k For $700 less than that ( $1,299 ) , you can get FN's deluxe competition SLP police shotgun, which comes 8 + 1 right from the factory.

FN-SLP-Competiton-Gas-Piston-and-Nickel-Nitride-Coating.jpg

Even the cheap $650 Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek Pro ( which is half the price of the FN ) comes with 9 + 1 or 10 + 1 capacity, depending on the model that you get.

I would never, ever buy a Benelli M4, due to the whole 922(r) modification legality mess.

Plus the gun is so very expensive. I've not seen it listed anywhere for under $2k For $700 less than that ( $1,299 ) , you can get FN's deluxe competition SLP police shotgun, which comes 8 + 1 right from the factory.

View attachment 344066

Even the cheap $650 Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek Pro ( which is half the price of the FN ) comes with 9 + 1 or 10 + 1 capacity, depending on the model that you get.

You're talking apples and oranges though...a tactical shotgun vs a 3 Gun shotgun. A better comparison might be the 3 Gun version of the Benelli m2...which is an inertia gun and I believe the FN is gas. But at least they're comparably equipped more or less. The 930 is a decent gun as long as you get one that runs. But it's not really even in the same league as the FN or the Benellis.

But yea, Benellis aren't cheap. There is most certainly a "pay to play" factor with them. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

I've never shot my M4, so at least your a head of me Joe :D

They're a ton of fun. I also have a Mossberg SPX, and I'm really looking forward to shooting them back to back. I'm sure the M4 is going to be much nicer but I wonder how close the SPX gets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top