JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hypothetical question.
What if the US Military never adopted MOLLE, but instead kept ALICE/LBV systems? We see something similar in concept with this design for an USMC modular LBV;

And we see an armor vest with the same idea, but its soft armor

s-l400.jpg

Here is an idea I drew out.. its basically a modern Plate Carrier with armored or padded cummerbund, but instead of MOLLE and fields of velcro and side release buckles, it has ALICE webbing, LBV style lacing adjustment, LC strap hardware, LC gray QR buckles, and simple 2" strap adjustments for shoulder straps.. I may revise padding to go up and over shoulders similar to the Y or H harness system... we shall see. 4-mag front panel with ALICE pouch closures, and ALICE keepers back. May do 2 rows of webbing on the back of the mag panel if I have to get it to stay flatter to the plate bag..
20210926_132810.jpg 20210926_132821.jpg 20210912_171219.jpg

Using these materials.. minus the 1 23/32 buckles and straps, as I now have 2.25" new buckles of same style and the 2.25" Ranger Green webbing for the cummerbund and ALICE design. Also not shown in pictures, my bag of black Fixlock 194 cord locks, same as used on the LBVs... and the 2-piece eyelets in black. Will have to acquire 3/4" friction buckles or ladder locks for the back panel to attach old school green ALICE era 3-day training buttpacks, as the ones I have, have the 3/4"ish D rings versus the woodland camo versions' 1" hardware and D rings.
20210816_133930.jpg 20210912_122457.jpg 20210912_122429.jpg

It will likely be my first complete project to do in the new place when I get the family all settled in, so probably a Christmas or Thanksgiving project for myself.

"instead kept ALICE/LBV systems?" Oh god no! That was crap 30 years ago when it was issued it new. Except the extra 3 mag pouch for hot sauce and mustard for the MRE's. No thanks.
Ya know the Brits kept their PLCE system going even just updating materials and PALS but.... the USAF kinda went back to LBE system with their DFLCS, and Mayflower Research did their Jungle Kit LBE that's pretty dang spendy. My design basically uses a modern plate carrier layout but swapped velcro and side release buckles for ALICE clips and QD system.. (ain't heard of the ruck shoulder strap QDs failing.. ever.) Yeah the pouch closures aren't as easily replacable as bungee, or side release buckles or the like :rolleyes: have heard stories of the old gray buckles snapping in extreme cold weather though, but haven't found a source for the older metal brass T hook thingies like VN era stuff yet. Although I'm not sure I want that to be the single point of attachment for the cummerbund...

Over at Reddit's MYOG Tactical Gear subreddit; its apparently got a lot of positive comments and upvotes... then again, the majority of Reddit's userbase seem to be far younger than I. Probably most have never been forced to use ALICE LBE or LBVs... although I know a lot of old ex-soldiers and some Marines who like their LBV and LBE setups...

This is the Interim Small Arms Protective Overvest (ISAPO) plate carrier, meant to provide soldiers and Rangers with more protection than the 1st generation RBA by having both front and back Ranger armor plates on, and over the PASGT soft armor vest. It has seen action in East Timor with the Australian military because the US gave them practically all 4,000 ISAPO vests made, because the Interceptor Body Armor came to be issued right around the same time (1997ish-2001)
My design incorporates the rectangle plate bag, and the shoulder strap simplicity. It adds a lot more features to the basic design, such as the cummerbund with QR buckles and LBV style lacing, and ALICE webbing mounts as well as placard mounts for the ALICE retro placard design. 707903_ts.jpg ISAPO Ranger Plate Carrier Woodland Camo -3.jpg isapo.jpg

I'm looking at a potential good idea with Apex Armor solutions in WA, they apparently offer Paypal financing with 0% interest rate if paid off in first 6 months... looking at the LTC/Hoplite 26605 triple curve Level 4 plates in SAPI L size (10x13ish).... thinking to modify the retro design a little bit by giving it the ability to accept both a 10x12 and a 10x13.25" plate set.. although the ICW 10x12 set with backers I have; aren't near 1" thick like the 26605s so I haven't quite figured out what to do for the different thicknesses... maybe make use of my 8" wide heavy elastic material to hold the plates/backers tight against the main load bearing fabric panel? Still gonna be bottom load so that I can shove plates as far up as possible for best coverage, versus top loading. Or I could just make the plate bags specifically shaped to fit the SAPI cut and buy a cheap minimalist/covert/slick/conceal plate carrier for the ICW set...

So other than 3/4" ladder lock buckles, here is pretty much everything I need for the retro PC design; not shown; plates obviously, nylon HDPE stiffener panel for cummerbund, foam padding also for cummerbund, and shoulder straps.
Everything is called Ranger Green except the Olive Paracord and hardware which are mostly black with classic LC gray. 3/4" webbing, 1" webbing, 2" webbing, 2.25" webbing, 2" velcro, 420D Nylon Duck uncoated
20211110_115538.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top