Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Retreat Security - Interesting read

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by timbernet, Oct 29, 2009.

1. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

From SurvivalBlog.com:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/10/retreat_security_i_am_your_wor.html

A few snips from the article:

Hopefully we don't get to the point where scenarios like this play out - but who knows?? I don't believe the looters in the Katrina disaster elevated to the stage of all-out assault/attack on people... they were mainly looting abandoned locations. But it is a fine line to walk.... wouldn't take too much to push someone into that....

19 Adam and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Seek training. OFA, Gunsight, Thunder Ranch, etc. can help you.

3. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I think we should prepare for the DAY. You decide what comes next.

4. XOR

XOR Pacific NW Member

I don't know if anyone has read FerFALs book yet on the Argentinian financial collapse, but he goes into the real-life events that happened there. The places in the dense city were affected for sure, but the most brutal crimes all happened on remote isolated rural properties where neighbors weren't around to keep an eye on things. You have to go outside some time, and when you do you're really vulnerable. FWIW, FerFAL points out that the vast majority of assaults he's heard about after their collapse happen when you are getting into or out of your car or home. He points out that these are by far the most dangerous times and when you need to be on your fullest and complete alert.

5. Randini

Randini Salem Member

Will you have the man/woman power to protect the retreat? gangs like MS13 may well have 100 person teams sent to take out a retreat. could get ugly. dont rule out a fast get away if you must, maybe have a stash away from your retreat just in case if you hear about gangs of size going around.

6. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

They better be woods wise, or the MS will be pop up targets, Neighbors, armed, food supply, trained with a plan, plenty of ammo, and a will to kick ***. A game plan within their own property, and communications within the area not dependent on public services like phones! Equiped also for an alternate life style!

7. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

That is a very good read and an example of what we could experience.

I get the point of living in the city, but what if the water system goes down? We have a well I could at least dip from with some improvisation. We also have a year around creek about a block away. Ya gotta have water or you won't last long.

Also, I can see a lot farther around my house - I'm not crowded in. It would be really hard for someone to sneak up on us unless they used the "trojan horse" method and we fell for it.

I don't know. We might have to try to survive in the wilderness which is very close - walking distance. I don't think there's a single simple answer.

8. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

You could do a life time of what ifs! If there is just yourself, possible to go the unknown extreames. If others depend on you, don't waste the time on survival in the wilderness, you will lose. Not a matter of tip toe through te woods, picking up edibles. Yes water in the city would be a problem, as no power, no pumps to deliver it to your tap, and you get one flush!!!. However you have drinking water if you don't need to flush??? Also about 55 gallons in your water heater. Creek you say? Boiling the water if you have means to do so. A few drops of regular Bleach if not. You can live longer without food than water. Once you leave your shelter, you face exposure battles. The more you travel the greater the need for food, water. and fight for weather elements with expenditure of energy. Where does your plan go from here? Where, why, how, and what objective do you have. Another family member to care for (food, and water) but the family dog is probably the best alarm system you could have for an early warning system! Sad part of many city dwellings, not counting widows, is usually a door in and a door out. Like thinking neighbors that are prepared with arms and resources that can sustain for at least a couple of weeks or more would be important. No man is an island.