JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think there's a bad assumption in this number. Nobody stays in one job anymore. I have 3 IRA's. That makes my average IRA 1/3 of my actual savings. Sure, I can roll them over, but there's no incentive to do so. I'll probably have 6 (and a small pension) by the time I retire. I'm not denying there are a lot of people unprepared for retirement, just saying the $12,000 number may be skewed from reality.

Back to the original post, I read somewhere a couple of months ago that the median amount saved in 401k/IRA is $12,000. That means that a LOT of people have nothing saved for retirement.

Peter

All those programs are communism, even SS now that the SS trust funds were raided back as far as Reagan

Only problem is, the social security "fund" was nothing more than numbers. There never was any money in the "fund". From the beginning, FDR's administration knew that the monies collected would only pay for those currently collecting social security. So the so called raid was nothing more than a transfer from one portion of the budget to another.

so pay checks are nothing more than what? Because that's where that money comes from, the impoverished paychecks of working Americans

Anyway, to get a historical grasp on what is happening to Americans read the Wikipedia synopsis of Atlas Shrugged or Gulag Archipelago

Only problem is, the social security "fund" was nothing more than numbers. There never was any money in the "fund". From the beginning, FDR's administration knew that the monies collected would only pay for those currently collecting social security. So the so called raid was nothing more than a transfer from one portion of the budget to another.

As I understood it, there were "funds" until the raids began. Are you saying it was all electronic hocus pocus? (That would make sense)

As I understood it, there were "funds" until the raids began. Are you saying it was all electronic hocus pocus? (That would make sense)

Another artifice. The "funds" were only that, numbers in a ledger. That's why FDR sold it as a retirement "insurance" or old age insurance. Similar to the Obamacare fiasco. That's why they had to have 4 years of taxes to make it work without costing the budget anything. But as with social security it's all smoke and mirrors.

Sodbuster

It's all illusion anyway since none of its backed by anything and we can print all we want. Hope you put some of it in silver or other real currency.

I think there's a bad assumption in this number. Nobody stays in one job anymore. I have 3 IRA's. That makes my average IRA 1/3 of my actual savings. Sure, I can roll them over, but there's no incentive to do so. I'll probably have 6 (and a small pension) by the time I retire. I'm not denying there are a lot of people unprepared for retirement, just saying the $12,000 number may be skewed from reality.

My wife and I did, 33 years for her and 30 years for me, even so we met with our broker last week, his comment was that to have our retirement income we would need over 3½ million in the market to get that much income. Some of ours is SS, some is retirement plans, some annuities and other savings. It's not all in one "basket".

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top