JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For over 20 years I have being a winter steelhead fanatic but the last two years I have been rethinking that it is harder on me to get out in the cold & wet weather, yes I said the last two years. I bought the perfect winter fishing boat that has a windshield, fully enclosed top and a jet to get up the low flow rivers. Although I have the perfect tool for fishing I am tired of the cold & wet....
Since this winter has been a rocky road with earlier snow freezing temperatures and now the heavy rains have put our watershed in a perilous predicament. Tuesday it started raining and has not let up one bit!!!!
Below is a graph of a zipper lip river I fish, this is the real time stream flow since yesterday... I just can't catch a break anymore....
USGS.12035000.150623.00060..20170111.20170118.log.0.p50.png

I fished the satsop Just a couple times when the chum were running. Had a great time one of the times the other time was a waste of time and almost got flooded in on the wrong side of the river with my nephew. I know what you mean with the water flow.

The Humptulips river is a good waterflow indicator of what's going to happen to inland rivers such as the Satsop in the next 6-10 hours. The Hump (much like all Chehalis watershed streams) used to be great salmon and steelheading rivers but WDFW has surely managed them into extinction.
I'm just sad that another chapter in my life is closing because I once loved to chase steelhead in the winter.

One indicator of how the river conditions are conveyed online in my area is "its puking mud and flowing trees".....:D:D:D

Damn, I was actually thinking of heading over there, while waiting for the local rivers to heat up. Oh well, I have to work this weekend anyway, so maybe it will drop by the time that I have time.

Ray

Maybe check out heated seats and or heated clothing.
Motorbikers have used heated grips and clothes for a long time.

I am comfortable (warm and dry) but just fed up dealing with the constantly changing conditions like snow & ice on the ramps. I've had to be pulled out once this season due to slick conditions..... just happy that a truck that was willing to help was there.

I don't fish nearly at all anymore. It just seems so hard to get out. And I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) so that doesn't help in wintertime. When bank fishing for steelhead sucks. Just travel 2 hrs, go down the bank, open your tackle box(s) and throw half your sh*t in the water. Go back home and open the JD. You accomplish the same thing and have a much better time. Gas $$$ are what caused me to sell the perfect boat.

Hey, I'm sorry to read about the decline of the Humptulips. In the past there were so many stories from friends about how great the fishing was. :(

I gave it up when i couldn't wade out to do lazy man's steelheading anymore - pulling a plug. Years ago, I found out I could get away from all the other bankies by walking upstream of the good spots and wading out. Backtrolling Wiggle Warts and Hotshots I started pulling in regular numbers of fish where I had always struggled with driftcasting. Not very long after that the other fishers started wading into my spots. They never caught anything but ensured that I didn't either.

Last Edited:
I don't fish nearly at all anymore. It just seems so hard to get out. And I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) so that doesn't help in wintertime. When bank fishing for steelhead sucks. Just travel 2 hrs, go down the bank, open your tackle box(s) and throw half your sh*t in the water. Go back home and open the JD. You accomplish the same thing and have a much better time. Gas $$$ are what caused me to sell the perfect boat.

Hey, I'm sorry to read about the decline of the Humptulips. In the past there were so many stories from friends about how great the fishing was. :(

I know, a friend and I used to make the 1 hour trip during the holidays for 15 years & would did really good there, then it got so bad that we would procrastinate & finally decided to bag it.:(:(:(

Man Jim, I'm depressed now!:(:(:(
I Swore I would never give it up, and here I an 800 miles away from any thing remotely looking like SteelHead waters!

Yep, now WDFW want the sheep to pay more $$$$ with a promise to get more opportunities, wanna guess what's gonna happen?
HEII they can't manage a wet paper bag with paper fish in it!!!!

Sorry to rant on ya Bro but it is what it is.....

Good rant!!

I'm barely getting started my man.... lol
Seriously I am considering selling my boat, DR's & tackle then use the proceeds and go to Alaska & fill the freezer with a few trips a year....
It's not the $$$$ mind you it's the principal of being led down a path and getting lied to for many years. They are OUR public servants and look at how the GOV power has swelled their heads!!!
I'm done having it!!!!
Again, sorry to rant...... and ramble......

Its cool Jim, I gotta a mouth full I'm swallowing as I type, Wouldn't wanna start in on my Beloved Orygun Rivers getting regulated and commercialized out of exsistance! We sportsmen get the big pickle every time!!! I am holding onto my boat, it took me too long and way to much monies to get it where I wanted, and boy do they get PIZZED to see a NW spec Sled down here on these waters squirtin from hole to hole while they cant because of the spinny thingy hangin under the hull of their theirs! LOL

I hate fishing in the rain and cold, no more.
I love steelhead fishing up on the lower Deschutes river. Summertime into late fall is the most awesome fishing.
Always go home with fish.
I fished from the mouth, to upriver about 3 miles. On days I didn't feel like walking I take my mountain bike.

Never disappointed, and never cold and wet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top