JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know the sbr sized rifle vs pistol discussion may sound off topic but some of the OPs responses shown above may indicate more info on the topic may be of help.

Let's put it this way, if skills and all else were equal, what would you rather see your opponent (ie the home invader) have to use against you? Pistol, sbr sized rifle, PCC, shotgun? It's a complete no brainer for me. I would rather him have a pistol because he is less likely to hit his target and if he does it's going to do less damage.

I have all of those available for HD and would choose sbr, pcc, and shotgun over pistol. Only benefit of pistol I can see is u can have it on your person during the day. For perimeter defense it sucks, for in home use it's harder to shoot accurately compared to the others, and not as effective as sbr or shotgun. Note this is leaving out possible things you might run into such as body armor and need for higher capacity which also helps fine tune whether an sbr or whatever is best for you vs something else.

Last Edited:
Let's put it this way,

I have all of those available for HD and would choose sbr, pcc, and shotgun over pistol.
I get it. I'm not trying to make a case on what "might" be the best tool for the job, but being aware of all options and other factors considered, that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to make the choice to go SBR/PCC for home defense.

A. They don't own one and consider it a very niche firearm. Not cost effective considering it's limitations outside of it's effective envelope. Ie., It doesn't fulfill the role of a handgun (carry/conceal/portability), doesn't fulfill the job of a long range weapon or "hunting rifle", while either one of those "may" fulfill the home defense role "adequately".
B. Controvery surrounding them and pending rules and regulations may cause a person to have an avoidance to owning one. Ie., The learning curve is more than they want to delve into.
C. Comfort level learning and training on a new platform. Ie., Go with what you know.
D. To name a few.... ;)

All's I was sayin was... let's try not to make the assumption he needs to be re-educated and make more of an effort to provide helpful info in response to his actual questions. Tag on points to ponder and personal insights on the overall subject... fine... but it's not terribly helpful making that the focus and ignoring the actual subject matter he's actually asking about. KWIM?

I've been in that boat before and it can be a little frustrating to sort through a pile of replies (as entertaining and informative on other subject matter as they might be) with no actual content germaine to what I was actually asking about.;)

Just sayin....

Last Edited:
I get it. I'm not trying to make a case on what "might" be the best tool for the job, but being aware of all options and other factors considered, that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to make the choice to go SBR/PCC for home defense.

A. They don't own one and consider it a very niche firearm. Not cost effective considering it's limitations outside of it's effective envelope. Ie., It doesn't fulfill the role of a handgun (carry/conceal/portability), doesn't fulfill the job of a long range weapon or "hunting rifle", while either one of those "may" fulfill the home defense role "adequately".
B. Controvery surrounding them and pending rules and regulartions may cause a person to have an avoidance to owning one. Ie., The learning curve is more than they want to delve into.
C. Comfort level learning and training on a new platform. Ie., Go with what you know.
D. To name a few.... ;)

All's I was sayin was... let's try not to make the assumption he needs to be re-educated and make more of an effort to provide helpful info in response to his actual questions. Tag on points to ponder and personal insights on the overall subject... fine... but it's not terribly helpful making that the focus and ignoring the actual subject matter he's actually asking about. KWIM?

I've been in that boat before and it can be a little frustrating to sort through a pile of replies (as entertaining and informative on other subject matter as they might be) with no actual content germain to what I was actually asking about.;)

Just sayin....
If someone comes out saying a rifle is clumsy for home defense but a pistol with a red dot and suppressor is easier to use it just makes me wonder…. And if you throwing optics, suppressors and potentially buying a HK I don't think funds are an issue.

Rifles are typically much easier to shoot. More accurate. And easier to become proficient with.

Again just my opinion. There is a reason the military clears houses and conducts urban warfare with rifles and a pistol is secondary.

It is important to understand the ballistics and your surrounding location cause that can be a factor as the shooter you own every round that comes out of the gun.

We all know this is really a "give me a reason to buy another gun" thread anyways. Recommendations and opinions are just that in these sort of threads.

If someone comes out saying a rifle is clumsy for home defense but a pistol with a red dot and suppressor is easier to use it just makes me wonder….
What he's most familiar and feels most comfortable and confident with... I can't argue.

If it's a given that he's set on a handgun though... I don't have any suggestions on what suppressor might serve him well on that particular firearm, no personal experience with an H&K tactical handgun or how good the trigger may or may not be in comparison to a standard 1911.

Anyone? ;)

What he's most familiar and feels most comfortable and confident with... I can't argue.

If it's a given that he's set on a handgun though... I don't have any suggestions on what suppressor might serve him well on that particular firearm, no personal experience with an H&K tactical handgun or how good the trigger may or may not be in comparison to a standard 1911.

Anyone? ;)
I came close to ordering the HK45T, but then I decided against it due to the price of a plastic pistol.

Ar pistol. 10" barrel. Suppressed. Streamlight. 300 blackout.
Quiet and easy to maneuver.
We hear someone break in I take position at the top of the stairs while wife calls police and wait.
I dare you to enter my stairwell....

Ar pistol. 10" barrel. Suppressed. Streamlight. 300 blackout.
Quiet and easy to maneuver.
We hear someone break in I take position at the top of the stairs while wife calls police and wait.
I dare you to enter my stairwell....
Yep, I would also add: see them in the yard via cameras with motion detection & phone alerts and confront them from a position of advantage before they even get a chance to break in.

Also have reasonably hardened doors etc that slow them down which is another opportunity to take care of the problem before it gets into your house.

But if they do get in the house my preferences are very similar to that stated. U have all the advantages and crim has all the disadvantages. Crim(s) has very little chance.

That's making the assumption that the OP doesn't know what he doesn't know... vs... he knows plenty well what the pros and cons are in those platforms and has opted for one over the other for his own personal reasons. After all.. his question wasn't, "what should I use for home defense?", right?

Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he wants, it seems to serve him better to offer helpful info specific to his questions than try and "re-educate" him down the path others think is "mo'betta", IMHO. ;)
Obviously he/she does not, hence the attempted course correction.

O.P. I found myself in the same conundrum after thinking about it for a while. At the time I chose proven street performance over all other considerations. Home invasion? I want them down fast.

At the time, I chose a 4" .357mag loaded with Speer GD 125gn JHP. Widely accepted by most as a proved bad guy stopper.

Then I started weighing in the down sides to that choice. Horribly loud in a confined space, I'm comfortable with the recoil, but less is better for rapid firing. Limited number of rounds, practicing with speed loaders will only go so far. Accuracy with any handgun is a perishable skill. Practice ammo availability and price. It had several downsides that needed looked into.

So, I got to looking around at what I had. The Glock 40 with an RMR quickly rose to the top of the list. But still not great. It addresses the issues of the 7 shooter but nothing else. Still horrendously loud, expensive ammo. Same perishable skills.

And, I got to looking at the trends in recent home invasions, multiple bad guys.

I hope all the above accurately portrays my thought processes through all this.

After a lengthy process that I won't go into here, I settled on a 9mm PCC.

While not hearing safe, it is much quieter with the 16" barrel and linear compensator. Easy to fire accurately with a RDS and optional laser. Skills not as perishable, better and cheaper ammo availability. It checked all the boxes on what was important to me. Except 1. Terminal ballistics. The 9mm is a good SD round, nothing wrong with it, but it ain't no .357mag.... or is it?

I was surprised and quite pleased with what I found. While it may be common knowledge in the gun community, I was surprised.

.357 125gn Speer GD out of a 4" runs about 1427 fps (Lucky Gunner)

Corbon 9mm +P 124gn out of a 16" runs about 1430 fps. (BBTI)

Just looking at the numbers.

125gn @1427 vs 124gn @1430. Almost identical terminal ballistics. (In my eyes) After sitting though hours of various testing videos they seem to perform about the same in test media.

I chose a Mectech CCU for a Glock 17. Added in the linear compensator, RDS, laser, and 6 33rd magazines. I went with the wire stock for adjustability and compactness.

It works great. Solid, proven reliable, surprisingly accurate out to 100yds. Easy to maneuver in my home, easy to operate, minimal recoil, no muzzle flash that I could see, much less bark. And that 124gn pill moving at that velocity is going to do the job and hit hard.

In my own humble opinion, and only for me, it is just about perfect. Yes. I have several pistols and revolvers from .22 to 45colt. I have an AR as well as a shotgun. I may not have the latest and greatest, "sooper dooper bad guy dropper" but I feel that my modest collection is fairly representative of the majority of platforms out there and what is commonly available.

Give some thought to a compact PCC that strikes your fancy, do your research. I believe that you will find that it will meet all your home defense needs in one easy to grab package. Makes a great trunk gun as well.

I normally try to avoid reccommending a specific firearm as I don't know all of the details of your concerns. But, just this once, I can strongly endorse the Mectech CCU in the caliber of your choice. Even 10mm. As you are familiar with the glock platform, it's a simple transition with a proven platform and magazines.

If you are local to, or are in the area of Kitsap County, you are more than welcome to try mine. I'll even front a few full mags of ammo.

But be warned, several people that have used mine went out and got there own, quickly. :D And, if you already have the 9mm Glock, everything else can be ordered and shipped to your home. Easy peasy.

Screenshot_20220630-123251_Firefox~01.jpg

Seriously, if you're local enough, you're welcome to try mine. :s0003:

Thank you for your generosity, Tinman. However, I really want to stay with what I shoot the most, that is pistols. I shoot pistols every week. Shooting 9mm is the least costly round that I shoot. I have a 590A1 in my safe if I ever need to go Boldly. However, having my loaded pistol on my nightstand has been my preferred HD method for many years. My mind knows where it is and how I am going to use it if needed.

Last Edited:
It's the natural order of things. When you don't know what you don't know...then people who do know what you don't know will attempt to course correct you where they see you heading down a wonky path.

Saw it all the time when talking with budding new photographers looking to make a career. Lots of talk about lenses or bodies when what they should have been asking was about lighting, business, and skills.

But, hey, OP wants to have misconceptions about operability of a carbine vs a pistol...I can only hope he reaches out to @Cerberus Group at some point for some hands on training.
Waaaaa? You mean gear quickly sees diminishing returns and skills/tactics are paramount!

Amazing. :)

Heck, for all the worry people have about what gun to use for home defense, seems like some simple home modifications would make it far more defensible regardless of the former choice.

While mostly true, even putting some longer screws in the door jam can make a big difference and that modification could be done without any obvious signs of modification.
Just move the weatherstripping to the side and it'll hide the screwheads. "Don't ask, don't tell".

I'm sure many landlords might be open to some types of improvements if it costs them nothing and there is good communication about what and how.

Simple non-invasive options can be found as well. Like dowels in the window/sliding door tracks, etc.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top