JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meaning all malls in our area already ban weapons but the ban does not carry force of law. If this happened in Oregon the guy would have been asked to leave the mall and CC people would be unaffected.

As a former Texas (hopefully soon to return) and a CHL holder, the laws there are...interesting. While the 'mall' did post the required '30.06' (penal code that bans CC) signage, all it would take is one retailer with an outside facing door to not post the sign and then the mall is still open to CC. They law is pretty strict in spelling out that every entryway must be posted, including employee only entrances.

It's not the first mall that has done it, won't be the last. The one that come to mind most for me was in downtown Houston, rough area. The last Jordan's shoes release saw 4 people mugged for their shoes at the bus stop in front of the mall. One of the retailers, I think it was Sears actually, failed to post, and the entire mall remained CC.

I agree with oli700, I could be wrong, but I think its against state law in Texas to OC a long gun.

So, the big question is......was this an anti-gun zealot posing as a pro-2A individual? Check mate for the anti's in this case.....

Sucks they don't have the insight to realize they cut their nose off to spite their face, with everything that's been happening with bad guys, gun free zones are targets to anyone with half a thought to do damage without confrontation. ......and yet again making the innocent law abiding conceal carry folks pay for the actions of one idiot, sad to see them take the easy way. Cool thing about concealed is that it is concealed so good luck enforcing that

Who in their right minds thinks that slinging a longarm over your shoulder and walking around a mall is a good goddamn idea?!

You're not changing minds; you're not breaking down stereotypes; you're not making people more comfortable about the idea of guns being around them; you're not helping us keep our rights.

There's a difference between what you are legally able to do and what you prudently should do.

Stop it.

Good grief.

Meaning all malls in our area already ban weapons but the ban does not carry force of law. If this happened in Oregon the guy would have been asked to leave the mall and CC people would be unaffected.

Washington Square does not have any signs banning firearms. At least none I have ever seen.
Meaning that an act such as this could result in them changing their policy. They are in business to make a profit. If anyone is scarring shoppers away, they will change their policy very quickly. That is what the Texas mall did for this very reason.

Washington Square does not have any signs banning firearms. At least none I have ever seen.
Meaning that an act such as this could result in them changing their policy. They are in business to make a profit. If anyone is scarring shoppers away, they will change their policy very quickly. That is what the Texas mall did for this very reason.

It did the last time I was there,

is it technically legal to open carry a long gun in Texas ?

From what I've read, it's not (generally) legal to OC a pistol in Texas (except maybe hunting?). There doesn't appear to be a law against OC of a long gun, BUT a LEO can get "creative" and haul you away for "rudely displaying" a firearm in public.

That's just based off the stuff I've read and seen on the interwebs.

From what I've read, it's not (generally) legal to OC a pistol in Texas (except maybe hunting?). There doesn't appear to be a law against OC of a long gun, BUT a LEO can get "creative" and haul you away for "rudely displaying" a firearm in public.

OC'ing PISTOLS is limited to hunting and personal property in Texas.

As far as long-guns (rifles, shotguns, SBR/SBS) you can open carry loaded, legally. There is a statute about 'carrying in a manner as to incite panic', which precedent holds as walking around with your AR at the low ready.

The mall would of had to have signs posted baring firearms from the premises, or had a member of management contact him, and ask him to leave. Which would turn it into criminal trespass.

Before they started issuing CHL's in Texas it wasn't uncommon for people to carry a short barreled shotgun around as a legal alternative.

He was legal as far as the letter of the law goes, but we will see how the courts interpret the 'spirit' of the law.

what more does a guy need ?

I actually couldn't find anything against long guns either, open to the interpretation of leo on scene if threatening or menacing behavior is displayed

if I were a mall patron.....ignore

just for the record these OC demonstrations in malls (or other places of buisness) are really not in our best interest here in Oregon. Oregon's law governing signage is actually not that clear, even handgunlaw.us lists Oregon as the signage carries the weight of the law.
The short story is while there is no Oregon law supporting lawful enforcing of a no guns sign there is a law (ORS 164.265) that states "A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises." (emphasis mine), who wants to be the first case law poster boy?

enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises." (emphasis mine), who wants to be the first case law poster boy?

Where in the ORS does it say that a sign on the door of a public business prohibiting firearms carries the weight of law? Until it does, the unlawfully requirement has not been met.

A guy who owns a "tactical training facility" can't obtain a discreet carry case for his rifle? He didn't know about the mall, school, theater massacres? Really?

This is really simple: Don't Scare The People.

Another one: Discretion is The Better Part of Valor.

You can do a lot of amazing things if you Don't Scare The People.

Somehow these words from Men In Black come to mind:
Kay. said:
There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top