JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone here on the forum was selling an old German Mauser M1917 Spandau in 30-06 Spring (civilian version). I decided to buy it since I was on market for a bolt action (originally I was looking for .308 Win or 0.270 Win, but after looking the prices, it looks that 30-06 is not any more expensive than .308 or .270. Win), price was excellent and the rifle has wood stock (wood stock is MUST for me as I I have to admit I do not like polymers). Wood stock seems to be in good shape, but it could use nice restoring (sand, paint and polish it). I was wondering if anyone does wood stock restoring on this forum. I could remove the stock from the rifle and ship it. I am still not in possession of the rifle, but am planning on getting it this Saturday. Since background checks seem to be slow these days, it might take me few days before I am able to be a proud owner of the rifle.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

ive learned the hard way to just buy a new stock to replace the originals that I believed at the time to need my help.
I'll see how the original stock looks. Judging from the pictures it is in good shape with just few small nicks and scuffs, but no cracks and any structural damage (you can see it listed for sale "Mauser 30-06"). If I lived in a house, I would do it myself, but now I am in a small apartment and can't deal with sanding (too much dust). I looked online and it seems one can get nice walnut stocks for about $250.

Also be careful what you do with the rags with linseed oil.
They can start a fire if not disposed of properly.

Well I'm not a chemist, so guess how I learned that oily rags will burst into flames.

"I looked online and it seems one can get nice walnut stocks for about $250."

How much inletting is required? Paying a gunsmith to inlet and finish a new stock would run the bill up quickly.

Try using fine steel wool at least 000 to apply the boiled linseed oil. It will kind of buff out some of the spots and work in the oil. Could also try tung oil finish which will dry easier the the linseed but gives a similar finish in my opinion. No harm in trying to oil or refinish if it dosnt suit you when done then restock it.

The stock was in better shape than what I saw in the pictures. Thus, I just polished it with mineral oil and leather cream (believe or not it does a decent job on wood too). One day I might completely replace the stock, but for now what meters to me that the rifle shoots and works great. Here are few pictures of the rifle. If I order one of the Boyds stocks, I need to figure out a correct one. I think my Mauser in a combination of Gew 98 receiver (made in Spandau factory in 1917) K98 bolt, magazine and trigger and Remington Ra-2-44 barrel (in 30-06 SPRNG). Interestingly, the action is very smooth, barrel accurate (I am not a MOA-fanatic) and peep sight a pleasure to use, expecialy for my pure eyesight.

Gew98#1.jpg Gew98#2.jpg Gew98#3.jpg Gew98#7.jpg

It cleaned up very nice. Can you strip off all of the finish off do some some sanding and put Teak oil on it? I only have experience stripping the varnish off and refinishing my AK wood furniture. Takes a lot of time to strip all of the varnish off. It took multiple coats of varnish water based varnish remover and I used a fine toothbrush to get all of the varnish off.

It cleaned up very nice. Can you strip off all of the finish off do some some sanding and put Teak oil on it? I only have experience stripping the varnish off and refinishing my AK wood furniture. Takes a lot of time to strip all of the varnish off. It took multiple coats of varnish water based varnish remover and I used a fine toothbrush to get all of the varnish off.
That would take too much effort. I live in one-bedroom apartment on 5ht floor of a building and trying to strip all the old paint would be a mess and not a job for a small indoor place. Sending would make too much dust. For now I am happy with this stock as is, but I might order a Boyds one at some point.

Cheers!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR