Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Restoration of gun rights

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mmpeep, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mmpeep

mmpeep renton New Member

So 12 years ago I became a convicted felon (3rd degree assault). I know I am eligible to get my rights back, I just have no idea how! I have talked to a couple lawyers and the cheapest I can find is almost $1000! Does anyone know how to go about this by doing it yourself? I just dont know where to find what forms I need and so forth. Or does anyone know of a reasonable lawyer in the area? I am located in the Renton/Kent/Tukwila area.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide! :)

2. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Honastly $1000 seems like a bargin to me. There is a Washington attorney who specializes in restoration of rights. I don't remember his name but my firearms attorney (Alex Kincaid of Boise) just did a three part pod cast with him about restoration of rights. You can find the podcast on her web page (just do a google search for Alex Kincaid gun law)

mjbskwim, mmpeep, usagi and 2 others like this.
  3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

4. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

As IM said already 1K is not that bad. To be honest what price is really the owning of a firearm worth? I know times are tough for people but when it comes down to it sometimes we just have to do it....

5. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

No doubt! A grand to be the first one in Oregon to have a felony assult charged removed that's a bargain! !!

The one and only person I know of that went from convicted felon got his original charge reduced to after 20 years.

Thanks to a change in Obamas ruling book even with misdemeanor assult you can't buy a gun. You are legal to own one just can't buy one...

Good luck. Your gunna need it.

Edit; I didn't see your from WA, I have no idea what you'll face and I hope its much easier than Oregon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. pdrake

pdrake WA Active Member

MM Peep. Good on you for trying to wrap up this affair. Whatever the past, I fully support the restoration of all civil rights for felons. (There has to be a process, of course.)

I see that you are in Washington, and no doubt know about some felons who are (and forever will be) held in secure lock up well past their let-go date (serial rapists, that type). With some exceptions, all civil rights should be restored, I say it again.

Unfortunately for you, restoration is not automatic in Washington, you have to fight for it. My advice: Please, work a few extra hours, and go do this, pronto. Given the current political environment, your obstacles are bound to increase.

Stay a member here, and document your journey. Best of luck to you.

mmpeep and Dyjital like this.
  7. mmpeep

mmpeep renton New Member

Wow, thanks guys for the responses! Ok, well now I feel better about the $1000. :) At first it seemed like a lot, but I guess it is worth it to have my rights back!

8. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't know their policies, you'll have to find out, but a Go Fund Me or similar might be in order - in exchange for your tale of the process.

mmpeep likes this.
  9. JustShoot

JustShoot Oregon . Hillsborito area Active Member

Inseparable inalienable Right's ..... LOL Hahaha .

10. mmpeep

mmpeep renton New Member

Just for anyone else in the same boat as me who looks at this forum.. http://www.lawyerforthelittleguy.com/about_01.html I found this lady. She said she charges a flat rate of $850 to do it! Ill post a review of her on here once she completes everything (hopefully successfully..). :)

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I'd say if he talks to you for a grand,you're doing OK.

12. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

there was a guy in my CHL class which had his rights restored - it too was assault. I can't remember the exact charge but definitely assault. Had to have a judge sign it off.

eta: is see you're in notner, WA. My story takes place in p-town, OR.

13. Scvette

Scvette Olympia Active Member

Do a little research,if you have the time,you can do it yourself.