JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Huffman:
I will be working with Rep. Richardson during the coming months to present a balanced, common sense approach to school safety. I, like Rep. Richardson believe every Oregon school has employees who are ex-police and ex-military that already have some training and would volunteer for regular/continued training to be a school protector. Or, possibly retired police officers that would like to do some volunteer work or work part time for a small amount of money to patrol a school. We believe these are possible options for consideration. Additionally, we realize that we need to consider other factors like mental health, and access to weapons by mentally unstable people.

I recently talked to the chief law enforcement officer in one community that is developing a plan with business people and employees within a two block area of the local school to be trained and act as school protectors. We can figure out how to keep our kids safer at school, and do it safely and cost effectively without banning guns and stripping law abiding citizens of their Constitutional rights.

The Clackamas Town Center incident shows the power of one trained citizen with a CHL. Certainly, any plan needs to be well thought out but I believe we can develop a plan that allows local school districts and communities to keep their kids safe without the foolish thinking of disarming citizens.

Sincerely,

Rep. John Huffman
House Dist. 59

Gelser:
Thanks for your letter. I've received many emails about gun issues on all sides of the issue over the last several weeks. However, yours is one of the few that was clearly written, with great points and not in a form letter. I appreciate that greatly.

This is obviously a very controversial issue that people feel quite passionately about. It is interesting because the vast majority of letters from my district are urging a variety of different measures that would more significantly regulate guns or ammunition. Those from outside my district seem to lean more in favor of a specific proposal to arm teachers and other school staff.

We won't know for a few more weeks exactly what legislation will be on the table in 2013. However, I will keep your points in mind as we wrestle with these issues in the coming session.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this letter. I really do appreciate real letters more than I can say!

Fondly,
Sara

Representative Sara Gelser
Chair, House Education Committee
House District 16

Thatcher:

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your support for sensible policies like the one being suggested by my colleague, State Representative Dennis Richardson. I support his idea to allow responsible, highly trained adults – whether they are school employees or volunteers from the community—to have access to firearms in order to protect students in a crisis situation such as the one that occurred in Connecticut last week.

I have been one of the strongest advocates for our 2nd​ Amendment rights in the Oregon Legislature and have worked hard against unreasonable gun laws in our state. I encourage you to voice your concerns with other legislators as well.

Thank you so much for your note.

Kim Thatcher
Representative
House District #25
Freeman:
I have talked with Rep Richardson and I believe there will be a very in-depth discussion in the coming months about his idea and that of many others. I do believe we need to have the debate but not now. Right now we need to focus on supporting those that have lost loved ones in both the Clackamas Town Center and in Newtown CT. We need to pray and make sure we are telling those around us how much we love them. We need to mourn and let some time go by before we stare to figure out what is best to do moving forward. Make no mistake I very much support the second amendment and I always will! We just need to allow time for cooler and less emotional heads to prevail before we start this very difficult public process.

Thank you for your e-mail and as always I very much value your input.

Tim Freeman
State Representative, House District 2

Got the roughly the same responses when I emailed them also. I got answers from a few others as well, Kotek, Hanna, and Roblan.
I think Hanna and Kotek are along the same lines as Burdick.
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads