JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
She doesn't sound like she's a friend to gun owners. Here's another one to vote out.

January 23, 2013

Dear Mr. Lurvey,

Thank you for contacting me about guns and how we can prevent gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

The tragic shootings in a Connecticut elementary school, the Clackamas Town Center, and a theater in Colorado are the latest in a long list of senseless mass shootings that occur too often in our country. These examples, and others like them, show that we must do more to prevent gun violence.

Our priority should be to find ways to keep guns out of the hands of people who use them to kill or injure innocent victims. One of the first steps we should take is to pass federal legislation to require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows, a law that Oregon already has on the books. Cracking down on gun trafficking and illegal sales would keep more guns out of the wrong hands. I also support a ban on large capacity magazines like those used in the Colorado theater shooting.

Importantly, we must also address the mental health aspects of violent crime. Critical components of reducing violence include identifying and treating people with mental illness and offering education and resources to their families, teachers, and communities. We need a community effort to destigmatize those who seek treatment for mental illness, and policymakers must work to break down barriers to access these services.

I support the Second Amendment rights of individuals to own firearms for recreation and protection, but with every right comes a corresponding responsibility not to abuse or exploit that freedom to the detriment of others.

Thank you again for writing to me, and please know that I will keep your input in mind as Congress considers proposals to prevent gun violence.
If you would like to know more about my work in Congress, please sign up for my newsletter at Welcome to Representative Suzanne Bonamici | Representative Suzanne Bonamici or visit my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CongresswomanBonamici.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Bonamici
Member of Congress

I support the Second Amendment rights of individuals to own firearms for recreation and protection, but with every right comes a corresponding responsibility not to abuse or exploit that freedom to the detriment of others.

Really? She thinks gun owners are abusing or exploiting the 2nd Amendment because we use 30 round mags?

What a crock of sh!t. :angry:

I got the exact same email response. Like I said in another thread, I sent her back a letter with my credentials as a former USMC Marksmanship Instructor and offered to provide her any firearms instruction she desired in hopes she could see the side of responsible gun owners and actually have a working knowledge of the issues she was to be voting on. That was 2 weeks ago, no response so far. Tomorrow is my birthday and is already being tainted by Dianne Feinstein's political bullbubblegum and Leon Panetta's political bullbubblegum, I figure if I call her office and offer her the same thing at least I know I actually got heard, rather than it just being deleted. Plus, I can record it and publicly say that she was offered the knowledge and chose to ignore it and make an uneducated decision based purely on partisan politics.

She was one of the sponsors of a bill last session that would retroactively require magazine safeties on all guns,
new and used. I think it also mentioned safeties on revolvers? Anyway---Bonamici is about as anti as you can get.
Might even be a little left of Ginny Burdick.

I must say, I am actually (pleasantly) surprised that she knows Oregon already has a gun show law. I know from experience that she is definitely anti-gun, but nowhere near as anti-gun as Burdick. Burdick wants all guns to magically vanish off the face of the earth with the signing of a piece of paper. Bonamici at least realizes that isn't going to happen. (Still not "good" by any means on gun rights, but at least she has enough pragmatism to not outright call for a complete and total ban on all guns like Burdick has.)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top