JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope all members read this and the moderators consider making this a rule posted in the classified rules. This is the second violation of I have personally seen on this forum (I am not going to humiliate the current poster who has violated the U.S. Code here: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm subsection 8, paragraph b. for I have already PMed and waiting for his reply). Some may see this as trivial but we all came to this sight for our love of our American rights. It is hypocritical of us to praise and freely talk about (freedom of speech) our 2nd amendment rights while disrespecting our flag.

I am asking all forum members to please uphold the standards and traditions of our American flag.

If anyone has a problem with this thread do not post here just PM me.

Thank you,

SF-

I'm Gonna let Mr. Cash speak for me.

JOHNNY CASH LYRICS

"Ragged Old Flag"

I walked through a county courthouse square
On a park bench, an old man was sittin' there.
I said, "Your old court house is kinda run down,
He said, "Naw, it'll do for our little town".
I said, "Your old flag pole is leaned a little bit,
And that's a ragged old flag you got hangin' on it".
He said, "Have a seat", and I sat down,
"Is this the first time you've been to our little town"
I said, "I think it is"
He said "I don't like to brag, but we're kinda proud of
That Ragged Old Flag

"You see, we got a little hole in that flag there,
When Washington took it across the Delaware.
and It got powder burned the night Francis Scott Key sat watching it,
writing "Say Can You See"
It got a rip in New Orleans, with Packingham & Jackson
tugging at its seams.
and It almost fell at the Alamo
beside the Texas flag,
But she waved on though.
She got cut with a sword at Chancellorsville,
And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill.
There was Robert E. Lee and Beauregard and Bragg,
And the south wind blew hard on
That Ragged Old Flag

"On Flanders Field in World War I,
She got a big hole from a Bertha Gun,
She turned blood red in World War II
She hung limp, and low, a time or two,
She was in Korea, Vietnam, She went where she was sent
by her Uncle Sam.
She waved from our ships upon the briny foam
and now they've about quit wavin' back here at home
in her own good land here She's been abused,
She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,
And the government for which she stands
Has been scandalized throughout out the land.
And she's getting thread bare, and she's wearin' thin,
But she's in good shape, for the shape she's in.
Cause she's been through the fire before
and i believe she can take a whole lot more.

"So we raise her up every morning
And we bring her down slow every night,
We don't let her touch the ground,
And we fold her up right.
On second thought
I *do* like to brag
Cause I'm mighty proud of
That Ragged Old Flag"

I noticed it as well, and I fully agree. It may be beneficial to inform the poster, as he may not be aware of the codes for handling our nation's flag. I know I didn't know anything about handling the flag or disposal until my dad who served in the Army saw me taking our flag down and it touched the ground. He pulled me aside and had a heart to heart with me and informed me how it was to be handled.

If it is a lack of knowledge that is one thing and I will do what I can to help educate anyone that wants to learn. The problem is i think alot of people don't care they think it looks cool and patriotic to put guns with the flag. Well the flag does not need anything added to it. It should never have anything laying on it and the onle thing it should ever be draped over is the casket of my brothers and sisters who have paid the ultimate price. I completly agree that as a site that supports our freedoms and provides a outlet for us to come together and enjoy them. There should be rules protecting the very symbol of that freedom.

Parsons- well said!

MOD's you paying attention?

Please Don't disapoint us.

SF-

Contact the member first and deal with him directly, this really should have been the first thing you did rather than drag him and this out into public. It's very likely he doesn't know flag etiquette and could even be a nice guy that would be willing to fix it on his own without making a huge show of it.

-Trlsmn

Contact the member first and deal with him directly, this really should have been the first thing you did rather than drag him and this out into public. It's very likely he doesn't know flag etiquette and could even be a nice guy that would be willing to fix it on his own without making a huge show of it.

-Trlsmn

Hi Trlsmn,

I believe that S.F. has already contacted the member, or at least that's what I got from his original post.

And yes, the member probably wasn't aware of flag etiquette.

Doesn't seem that he was dragged into anything. My two cents.

Respectfully,
Will

Hi Trlsmn,

I believe that S.F. has already contacted the member, or at least that's what I got from his original post.

And yes, the member probably wasn't aware of flag etiquette.

Doesn't seem that he was dragged into anything. My two cents.

Respectfully,
Will

No problem Will. I would just like to give the guy a chance before getting involved is all.

-Trlsmn

Trismn-

My point behind all this are two things:

1. There should be an additional clause in the classified rules that sate something really simple like, "In addition to the above rules, we ask as an online community to adhere to the proper etiquette of the U.S. flag and have it not to be used as table cover or other such device to display your merchandise. We have several members who have fought overseas and they themselves have lost close friends and family members who have died serving our great country, the same great country that has brought you the second amendment. If you have any questions about the proper etiquette of displaying the U.S. flag please contact the member known as 'Silver Fox' for he can take the time to educate you as he has a loud mouth and is very passionate about the proper handling of the U.S. flag and it is this passion that blinds his good judgement sometimes in discussing such an issue. Thank you for understanding."

2. I posted this suggestion/thread back in September and I would have thought there would have been some kind of discussion about this or even a MOD acknowledging the post but after 90 views it fell to the bottom of the 2nd page under this section. As a proud member of this online forum I look out for the image of gun owners and this site. I thought it was a good suggestion and doesn't have to have a death squad monitoring classified photos, but this was the 3rd such photo since August so that tells me this is a small issue that should be addressed. Most Americans haven't been taught proper flag etiquette, so it isn't a bash on them the individual, but a more of a group concern to help those who don't.

SF-

Parsons- well said!

MOD's you paying attention?

Please Don't disapoint us.

SF-

I have been watching this and the other thread.

I confess, I don't know all the rules of my flag. I do believe it needs to be respected on this site.

I'm not sure how to administrate the rule on this, but we are open to suggestions like you have pointed out.

One thing I was disappointed about was the way the OP in the other thread was "called out".

I do understand the reason why, and I believe it was not done in malice. I hope everyone is not offended by the situation and how it played out.

SF, I saw the original post, your response, and everything up to this thread.
I have been thinking of what to say since then.

This is all I have for now, and feel free to continue to discuss.
We are watching, and understand.

Rhtwist, I agree there doesn't need to be a rule those are already in place via U.S. Congress, what it boils down to is a simple reminder of respecting our flag in the classified section. Don't have to ban or shun or even warn members, just a simple and casual 'hey that's messed up and here is why...' lime the first two members I caught and they were completly and totally cool about removing the picture depicting the Flag in a disrespectful manner. The OP With the sks caught me on a bad day, was my behavior a little overboard for this forum? By their standards yes. I am just frustraded how complacient our society has become with the flag and of all places a firearms forum? I would expect this kind of behavior out of some left wing nut case forum, but not here. Just saddens me.

Any man worth his salt has a line in the sand that he will not cross this is one of mine.

SF-

Hello Silver Fox,
A reminder in the classified IMHO is tantamount to a rule. The first amendment, for which millions have died or been injured defending with their blood, I believe a reminder violates that very amendment. If a person chooses not to respect, or go so far a too disrespect our Nation's Flag, should be PM'ed to let them know. and then advised of the none participation of the supporting members in any purchases from that member. Advise and attack the money belt for the exercise of your rights not to buy from whomever you choose. Again I don't like rules or reminders. I did not join to be regulated by anyone, outside the guidelines of the rules, even if it is for a good IMO cause. Or at least take a vote requiring over 80 percent of the current population of members to make a rule. At least then more than a few members get their viewpoints expressed by ballot. Just my opinion.
rhtwist

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top