JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried to pick up a smoking deal on a shotgun today at a Walmart in rural OR. They would not let me fill out the form 4473 because my residential zip code is not on my license. Oregon DMV only puts zip code for mailing address on the license when you have both addresses on your license. I have bought many firearms and this is the first time the zip code issue has come up. Has anybody else dealt with this problem. How did you remedy it?

They don't know what they are doing. A zip code is not necessary to have a "complete address" which IS required. Zip codes are for the benefit of the Postal Service and can change readily.

Yes, I know the physical address can change too, but for all intents and purposes it's a fixed thing. When is the last time you heard of a change in house number or street name on a residential address? Pretty rare occurrence.

They don't know what they are doing. A zip code is not necessary to have a "complete address" which IS required. Zip codes are for the benefit of the Postal Service and can change readily.

Yes, I know the physical address can change too, but for all intents and purposes it's a fixed thing. When is the last time you heard of a change in house number or street name on a residential address? Pretty rare occurrence.
Every 4473 I have filled out, had a spot for zip code of residential address. Are you saying I could leave that blank when I fill out the form?

The DMV screws this up when they do this. I have the same problem, but once I explain it to the FFL I am fine.
You are right DMV should include zip code for residential address on Oregon DLs/IDs. The lady at the DMV said that is the way they have always done it. And they never include zip code for residential address only for mailing address. It seems goofy to me.

Supporting identification/documentation should work. Vehicle registration, Voter ID card, CHL, County Tax Documents, Hunting/Fishing License, etc. Any of these with the proper address on them can be used in conjunction with your Driver license to verify your address/zip code. Sounds like your Wal-Mart person does not know what they are doing.

Supporting identification/documentation should work. Vehicle registration, Voter ID card, CHL, County Tax Documents, Hunting/Fishing License, etc. Any of these with the proper address on them can be used in conjunction with your Driver license to verify your address/zip code. Sounds like your Wal-Mart person does not know what they are doing.
They claimed it was store policy that everything on my ID had to match what was on the 4473. They would not accept the temporary ID the DMV issued me either. Unfortunately local DMV offices don't issue stickers to apply to your license like the State sends you in the mail. Ultimately I will get the shotgun but with wasted time, dmv fee and fuel.

So apparently this particular Wal-Mart has more stringent standards than the local, state, and federal government when it comes to identification requirements?

So apparently this particular Wal-Mart has more stringent standards than the local, state, and federal government when it comes to identification requirements?
The assistant manager told me that the ID had to exactly match the information on the form 4473. I told her that I had purchased many firearms with this license and never had an issue before. I then asked her if that was a store policy and she said it was.

You are right DMV should include zip code for residential address on Oregon DLs/IDs. The lady at the DMV said that is the way they have always done it. And they never include zip code for residential address only for mailing address. It seems goofy to me.

They should include the city too. Mine doesn't have the city for my home address. I have a ticket where the cop put my home street address along with my mailing address city and zip. It has always caused confusion when I buy a gun because what I put on the 4473 doesn't match what is on my license.

For curiosity sake, what stops you from putting on the 4473 the address that is on your ID - completely circumvents the moron at Walmart.

The feds don't care what is on your ID - they want your home address. Filing it out with the wrong address is against the law and they have been known to charge people who fill them out wrong. That is why I insist on doing it right; I don't want them coming back at me a couple of years later if they get their hands on the 4473.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top