JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree but that is also why many people call them minimals for huntingng big game. I will bet that at th average distance they are used to take big game say under a hundred yards that they are superior in energy to that 556 past 200 yards.

If you go by energy alone, the 5.56/.223 would be superior. In the first 100 yards the 5.56/.223 would have a little above 1k energy, and about 900 something at 200. The loads they use for the .44 magnum here are about 600-700 at 50 yards.

Ok so I was wrong. Does give me a little more respect for the 556. I own a couple. However I suspect that my 16" might have less than that.

The 16" would have about 900 something but it's close enough to 1k so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But as with all things, use the right bullet. Got people where I live who tell bad stories because they used a varmint round instead. Though I could be wrong about the 5.56/.223 at 200 yards, and it could be roughly 800 instead. Closer to 900 out of a 20 inch barrel, but both will do find on a deer out to 200 yards, just as long as you do your part to get a well-placed shot with the right ammo.

It beats a handgun at 200 yards such as a 45. I load a hornady 55fmj being pushed b by 25.5 of blc2 or 4064. I am not a great fan of the 223 or ar15. I do see a purpose my wife can easily handle. It, they are accurate and inside of 200 yards they have plenty of energy. If given a choice I would choose my short barrele fal.

On those two legged targets the 5.56 will do fine out to 500 meters, as long as they aren't wearing plates. As much as I like the .308, and the 7.62 NATO, the deer here are small enough that a .223/5.56 is enough gun. So I leave my PSL for the boar and bears.

My goal is to stpp my target not simply to hit my target. Hitting the target is a prerequisite but stopping the target is the ultimate goal. outside of 200 yards I want more punch than a 556. Imho.

Really up to the shooter. Personally I wouldn't discard using a 5.56 out to 500 meters, past that is when I'd feel uncomfortable and use 7.62x51 or bigger. Though one could get the best of both worlds and get a Colt 901, if you have the money for it.

Still blown away at the attention this thread generated! I'm hoping to buy one this month. I'll post pictures when I do pull the trigger on the purchase ;) Thanks again everyone!!!

Well, the discussion has gotten sidetracked on an ammo and bullet energy debate.

Don't pay any attention to it. The 5.56mm is a good self-defense round. It shoots very flat out to 300 yards, and still has well over 2,000 fps in velocity at that range. I think that a person can count on it to perform well out to 300 yards. And at short ranges where self defense shooting typically takes place at, it will be quite devastating.

All of this discussion about shooting at 500, 600, or more yards is rather moot when it comes to self-defense.

After all, you cannot shoot someone at 500 yards and then legally claim self-defense. A District Attorney would have a cow over that! :eek:

Well if there's no witnesses of him shooting someone out that far... Just kidding, don't do that.

To be honest he mentioned mid range plinking too so that's why I mentioned those distances. Not sure what people would consider as mid-range or long range, but I consider 500-600 as mid-range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top