JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carried a M14 in WWVietnam, very nasty conditions with no problems other than the stock. I love Walnut and Linseed oil, but I would have a synthetic stock on any rifle seeing extended time afield. I also had a M16 replacement for it. We had a ton of teething pains with that. Mine worked as I was always cleaning my rifle, ammo, and magazines. That means stripping them all, inspecting and wiping each round. I carried 19 sometimes 21, 20 round magazines, 6-8 frags, 4 smokes. and a Big Boy Medical Aid Kit. I had a 50 cal can with extra med supplies (Med kit moisture resistant, Ammo can water proof) Try humping that load along with C's and 6 canteens and extra Any ways I only carried 7 M-14 mags when using it. I would take the 14 back though, I trusted it, no choice with the 16.

The 16's problems slowly dissipated and then they brought out the 16A1 and things were back on track.

So at
If you think that M14s are so great, look up videos on how quickly they stop working when wet or muddy. The action is too open to the elements. The bolt handle and your palm are the forward assist.

For the OP, ask yourself what you really want to do with your rifle and make your purchase. I have several ARs for different tasks. The one I use to hunt coyotes and plink at steel out to 800 yards has a 20 inch HBAR barrel with a free floating handguard and bipod. It weighs 11 pounds field ready. My house rifle has a 14.5 inch Govt. profile barrel with a colapsible stock and is much lighter and handier at 7 1/2 pounds. Two rifles for completely different tasks.
800 yards exactly how much energy do you think thst bullet has? Any bet that its a small amount compared to a 7.62*51. To me a ar15 is a substandard long range rifle in 5
56. IMHO

So at
800 yards exactly how much energy do you think thst bullet has? Any bet that its a small amount compared to a 7.62*51. To me a ar15 is a substandard long range rifle in 5
56. IMHO

Enough energy to clank steel. I wasn't praising the 5.56 in that paragraph so much as saying that if the goal was to plink at long range, a rifle could be built to do so.

Yes, 7.62x51 has greater terminal ballistics at that range. External ballistics of the 75gr A-Max are pretty good for your average long range plinker with less cost and recoil because the goal is to get the bullet there, not necessarily to kill anything.

Most ARs dont shoot 75 grain bullets very well. A rock will clang steel. I will stick with a 308 over 200 yards in comparison to the wimpy 556.IMHO.

For the OP, ask yourself what you really want to do with your rifle and make your purchase. I have several ARs for different tasks. The one I use to hunt coyotes and plink at steel out to 800 yards has a 20 inch HBAR barrel with a free floating handguard and bipod. It weighs 11 pounds field ready. My house rifle has a 14.5 inch Govt. profile barrel with a colapsible stock and is much lighter and handier at 7 1/2 pounds. Two rifles for completely different tasks.
Yeesh, my AR with a 16 inch barrel is close to the weight of your 20 inch with HBAR. O.O

Wow this thread took off!! Glad everyone seems to be having good conversations :)
My purpose would be self defense and medium range plinking. I'm not trying to shoot too far yet. Something I could use if SHTF and my pistol won't be enough. Thanks again everyone for all the input and info!

Hello all! I'm doing research for my first AR purchase. Most likely in 5.56/.223. I want to spend no more than $1200. I have very little experience with rifles. Someone recommended one made by Thunder Technology based outta Portland. Any one heard of them? For under $700 it seems like a decent deal. I don't wanna buy used nor am I sure I want to build one from scratch. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks ;)

Mega machine makes nice stuff and they are local...

BTW: I had a beat to $heet Colt M16a1 over stamped A2 in basic (1994) that could hit E types out to 600.

Even with the wind was blowing like a bastard across Sill.

You don't need all the fancy BS to hit just practice, And good ammo.

Last Edited:
Wow this thread took off!!

That is because just about everyone in America now owns an AR-15. :D

Well, almost everyone. There are some exceptions, such as Michael Bloomberg, for example:

Bloomberg.jpg

CDNN has POF's for $1099 at the mo. I think it's cheap because the engraving on the receiver is a bit OTT.
Solid rifles though.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top