JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The need for a dust cover depends on where you are really, I get sand in there while I shoot, I don't need sand getting in there before I get to shoot. Don't even got dirt in the part of NC I'm in, just sand and grass. As for the forward assist, sometimes it doesn't go all the way forward because the person didn't bring the charging handle all the way back. The forward assist is just a little more convenient.

Never put dust covers on fal, m14, hk91, hk93 or most other battle rifles. Is the AR that finicky if so its hard for me to trust it then.

It isn't that finicky, just better to not have sand in there. If you do your job right, as in lube it like you should, it SHOULDN'T be an issue. As for the assist, it just helps when that happens. Sometimes you pull too fast and forget, etc. Also if you're in a pinch and it is too dirty to close on its own. Unlike some other rifles, you can't manually close the bolt since the charging handle only pulls the BCG back. Personally, I just use it to ensure the bolt is closed, as well as to chamber a round without making too much noise. You don't necessarily need the forward assist or dust cover, they're just nice to have if the rifle comes with them.

Last Edited:
My vintage 1976 Colt SP-1 doesn't have a forward assist/dust cover and it shoots great with just the iron sights.
I really like the clean bare bones look. Ar's with tons of doohickey's attached to them don't look right to me.
I am currently looking for an original Colt scope to mount on it someday.

This is what one looks like with one attached.

SP1-02.JPG

Last Edited:
Looks nice, I'm a cheap bastard so I only have half a colt lol. But I still love my AR, shoots well enough.

To the OP, if you don't mind me asking what did you intend it for? Hunting? Target shooting? Also, what is the heaviest you intend to shoot? If you're only planning to shoot 55-62 then get one with a 1 in 9 twist, 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 if you intend to shoot heavier, YMMV . Stainless steel or chrome-lined depending on what you want. Chrome-lined if you want an easier barrel to clean, stainless steel tends to have more potential for accuracy. Also I know someone here said to avoid a heavier barrel due to weight, but it doesn't matter. Balance matters more than weight alone. It can weigh 7 pounds, but if it's front heavy you're screwing yourself over compared to shooting one that might be heavier but has a better balanced weight to it, as an example. As for length, you can go with a 16 inch barrel and still shoot past 100 meters, don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. All of it is personal preference really, but in terms of raw accuracy (not taking into consideration distance and wind) a shorter barrel has more potential accuracy than a longer one. Now when you take wind and distance into consideration, a longer barrel might let you reach out further, but how far you want to go is up to you. You can still reach out to 500-600 meters with a 16 inch, anything beyond that is questionable.

Last Edited:
Thanks again everyone! I have a lot of research to do lol. Once I make a purchase I'll share a few pictures :)

Actually, I don't understand why so many here have recommended the heavier and more expensive Colt LE 6920 to you, when the Colt LE 6900 is such a better value with more modern features than the 6920. It may lack a forward assist, but as many have argued here, it really is not that necessary.

It is a much lighter rifle, weighing only an even 6 lbs. That is really quite light. And it comes with a nice free float handguard, which will aid in more accurate shooting. And it is drilled to accept add-on rails, so you could customize it if you wanted to.

And I checked and there are dealers selling it for only $850. Now that will be a couple hundred more than a similar S&W M&P 15 or Ruger 556, but it will be a Colt. And apparently it has a very decent factory trigger too.

Here is a link to a real detailed review of this rifle. And the Leupold 1-4x scope that is shown in this review is probably the best buy there is today for a real quality AR scope, as it retails for only $500, and is very well made, and super bright and clear, with an LED dot in the center of the reticle. You could get them both for only $1,350 and have one really awesome weapon.

http://www.gunblast.com/Colt-LE6900.htm

Last Edited:
Then why if it is so important other battle rifles dont have addists?

Some of them simply have other options. For example, some rifles like the AK-47 and M-14 have a bolt handle in the bolt itself, which can then be pushed forward.

When FN designed the new SCAR Assault Rifle, for example, they put a reciprocating charging handle in it, that can also act as a forward assist if necessary.

What battle rifles do you have experience shooting??

Everyone owns an AR-15 these days. It has become "America's Rifle".

Last Edited:
Actually, I don't understand why so many here have recommended the heavier and more expensive Colt LE 6920 to you
If you don't mind having only half a colt you can buy the upper for $550-$900 depending on where you get it from. As for the weight, it isn't too bad. I don't get why people focus too much on the weight instead of the balance. If there is more weight in the front, or in the back, then the issue isn't the weight it's the balance that's the issue. Besides, more weight generally means less felt recoil. And since the AR-15 has little recoil, it just gets even better.

If you don't mind having only half a colt you can buy the upper for $550-$900 depending on where you get it from. As for the weight, it isn't too bad. I don't get why people focus too much on the weight instead of the balance. If there is more weight in the front, or in the back, then the issue isn't the weight it's the balance that's the issue. Besides, more weight generally means less felt recoil. And since the AR-15 has little recoil, it just gets even better.

The heaviest item that usually adds weight is the barrel. Having a heavy barrel also tends to make a rifle unbalanced in the front.

Go with a lightweight barrel, and you also protect yourself from having an unbalanced rifle.

Having a heavy barrel also tends to make a rifle unbalanced in the front.
There are ways around that. With heavy barrels you can usually just add weight to the stock to balance it out. Not saying go heavy only, just saying it should be dropped as a whole when there are ways to get around the balance issue. With a heavy 16 inch barrel, the weight isn't so great that it's difficult to balance it out in the stock. It depends on what you want.

Some of them simply have other options. For example, some rifles like the AK-47 and M-14 have a bolt handle in the bolt itself, which can then be pushed forward.

When FN designed the new SCAR Assault Rifle, for example, they put a reciprocating charging handle in it, that can also act as a forward assist if necessary.

What battle rifles do you have experience shooting??

Everyone owns an AR-15 these days. It has become "America's Rifle".

I have an M1a, 2 fn fals, Ptr91, 2 AR15s'. I was trained and used a M14 in the service for over 6 years. I have never ever needed a forward assist on any of those rifles. I will stick to my position that you do not need a forward assist if you maitian your weapon and personally if a round does not chamber on its own then you probably shoot not be putting that cartridge in the chamber in the first place.

Nice if you feel that you don't need one, as people are different. Personally, I have it just in case because it can happen even if there's nothing wrong. Also helps you chamber a round without making too much noise. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it really. If you're in a pinch it really is handy, can't just go "oh well I'll go look for other ammo" or "I'll clean it right now" if you're being shot at, least that's what it was for originally, from my understanding. Since the chances of you needing that are low, you can use it for other reasons. IE: Make up for certain mistakes made in chambering a round, chamber a round without so much noise, etc. If you hunt, the noise is nice if you don't carry it chambered.

In that price range, the Colt 6920 gets my vote:)

2nd the 6920.

3rd the Colt LE6920.

4th for the Colt 6920

Great gun at a reasonable price and always resellable if need be (where many others are not).

Right now, today (as this is posted) grabagun.com has Colt 6920s for $866 plus $5.99 for shipping. Can't be beat! Their prices change all the time, so if you don't get one now, hold out, prices should come back to this point, for the time being anyway.

Buy something quality (Colt) and buy it now; these are "the good old days" right now and prices will never be this good again.

As many here have said, one of the biggest benefits of buying a Colt is they hold their value and they're much easier to sell.

4th for the Colt 6920

Great gun at a reasonable price and always resellable if need be (where many others are not).

Right now, today (as this is posted) grabagun.com has Colt 6920s for $866 plus $5.99 for shipping. Can't be beat! Their prices change all the time, so if you don't get one now, hold out, prices should come back to this point, for the time being anyway.

Buy something quality (Colt) and buy it now; these are "the good old days" right now and prices will never be this good again.

Also, I'd call around to a few of our Supporting Vendors nearby and see if they can pricematch.

I have two "Store Bought" ARs, A Daniels Defense DDM4 V3 which is good, but pricy.

And I have a Colt Competition 1516 which is now out of production. It does not have a dust cover or forward assist, but it does have a match grade barrel and 6 pound match trigger. I paid $700 at CDNN for it. I like it and certainly think it to be worth the money.

I don't recommend Bushmaster, they work well, but sell poorly, especially used.

Get a Armalite, Colt, Ruger or S&W. There are a lot of good even better AR's out there, but not at your price point.

If you think that M14s are so great, look up videos on how quickly they stop working when wet or muddy. The action is too open to the elements. The bolt handle and your palm are the forward assist.

For the OP, ask yourself what you really want to do with your rifle and make your purchase. I have several ARs for different tasks. The one I use to hunt coyotes and plink at steel out to 800 yards has a 20 inch HBAR barrel with a free floating handguard and bipod. It weighs 11 pounds field ready. My house rifle has a 14.5 inch Govt. profile barrel with a colapsible stock and is much lighter and handier at 7 1/2 pounds. Two rifles for completely different tasks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top