JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
More argument on 'more guns = less crime'

An on-line story at the Washington Post yesterday talks about new research that apparently pokes holes in the strongly-held opinion in the firearms community that more guns result in less crime, and it is sure to ignite some arguments.

<broken link removed>

I recently came across some graphs that looked at gun-homicides vs ownership in the world and in the US, taken from public sources. These are far more simple in comparison to the statistical tools used by the researchers, but I would be curious to see how we can get numbers like this and reports like what the researchers produces. Note: they also had a very different outcome (last paragraph of the abstract) when only looking at 1999-2010. Not surprising considering the crime wave between 1979-~1992, when Right-To-Carry was far less common.

https://www.facebook.com/UnbiasedAm...71.1073741828.123061011213236/299579676894701

<broken link removed>

I don't need Lott's statistics.

Look at gun sales and gun ownership.

EVERY SINGLE poll done on this, with ONE exception, shows gun ownership on the rise.

WHERE IS THE INCREASE IN CRIME? It's not there. Period.

Now frankly, I've always considered Lott's research to be questionable.
My position has always been that more guns DO NOT MAKE MORE CRIME. Period. That's a statement that is FACT, not statistical manipulation.

We DON'T have 50% LESS guns in private hands than we did in 1993, at the height of the crime stats. But we have 50% LESS CRIME.

Meaning GUNS ARE NOT A PROXIMATE CAUSE OF CRIME.

Period, end of story. No other argument needs to be made. I've never believed for a second that more guns equal less crime. You'd need stats a lot more convincing than Lott's to make that case.

But what IS very clear is that guns DO NOT INCREASE crime. Which is the main point.

It's not the job of a human right to reduce crime.

It's a right. PERIOD.
What the numbers show unequivocally is that reduced gun ownership doesn't affect crime in any way. And you don't need to be a statistician to prove that. All you need to be able to do is read the damn FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

the antis also crowed and screamed how there would be rivers of blood in the streets if states allowed open carry or concealed permits.

what happened when the open carry and concealed permit laws were passed? ... crickets ...

somoene should really call the antis out on their failed predictions.

it is desperately important for the antis that they challenge this research. you can bet they are going to do everything they can to discredit it, because it is extremely damaging to their cause.

Is there any credible research that supports the hypothesis that GCA68 reduced crime, or even reduced crimes involving guns, self-defense excepted? I have been unable to find any. Thanks

Is there any credible research that supports the hypothesis that GCA68 reduced crime, or even reduced crimes involving guns, self-defense excepted? I have been unable to find any. Thanks

Even if it did reduce crime (and I doubt it did) you couldn't really prove it because the stats from that time are so poor. The large cities reported, but not the small agencies. there just isn't any really good data from that time period and the stats just get more sketchy as you go back from '68.

I asked 5 Americans this morning if they liked apple pie. All 5 said yes. My conclusion. 100% of Americans like apple pie.

Statistics suck. Politics based off them are even worse.

A lot of the statistic is skewed. For example, I seen graph shown more guns = more gun crime. It failed to include all crimes in the comparison.

I think the anti gun people somehow think good people pick up a gun can become bad. But in reality, bad people is bad regardless of if they have a gun or knife.

I asked 5 Americans this morning if they liked apple pie. All 5 said yes. My conclusion. 100% of Americans like apple pie.

Statistics suck. Politics based off them are even worse.
I still believe in scientific method. The problem here is that politicians pick and choose what scientific results they want to see. I think we should let more scientific studies on this topic, but make sure it is done right and don't shut down projects based on political motives.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top