JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this poor little guy at a garage sale. $.50 later and a bit of elbow grease and I think it's ready for a handle!

IMG_20210827_130652053.jpg
IMG_20210902_124142688.jpg
This case hardened pattern is not easy to get on camera. The colors really dance around though.

IMG_20210902_141513935_HDR.jpg

After this is finished up, I'll need to make a matching bird and trout knife and fab up a combination leather belt sheath for the both of them.

Last Edited:
Any makers markings on it?
Cool project!
Yes..... unfortunately. I was hoping to uncover some rusty gold, but alas, it's a generic "China." Oh well, at least now I don't feel bad about re-profiling it a little. I flattened the top and increased the beard a little. I also had to grind off a solid 1/8in to get to bare metal.

What is the mark or brand on the hatchet head?

I've been doing hammer and hatchet "rescue" for decades. Mostly for enjoyment. These days, you can buy a new hammer from China for about $4.00, so only someone doing it as a hobby is gonna pay that much or more for a replacement handle.

My last rescue:

P4170792.JPG

This is an older Plumb claw hatchet. The head was badly rusted so I sand blasted then painted it.

I've got many plastic buckets full of rescued hammers, hatchets and other striking tools. But not near as many as the Hammer Museum in Haines, Alaska has.

I've been doing hammer and hatchet "rescue" for decades. Mostly for enjoyment. These days, you can buy a new hammer from China for about $4.00, so only someone doing it as a hobby is gonna pay that much or more for a replacement handle.

My last rescue:

View attachment 1024403

This is an older Plumb claw hatchet. The head was badly rusted so I sand blasted then painted it.

I've got many plastic buckets full of rescued hammers, hatchets and other striking tools. But not near as many as the Hammer Museum in Haines, Alaska has.

MC Hammer, is that YOU?!

Jump back, HAMMER TIME!

My last rescue:

View attachment 1024403

The stamp is just "1¼". "China" was stamped on bottom near the eye.

Here is a not quite "rescue" that my grandson Anthony came up with; he found it in a street.

P9021439.JPG

Note the badly mushroomed head.
P9021440.JPG

This is a Hart brand hammer, made in China. Walmart is the "exclusive" distributor for this brand. They sell for about $20. Modified, so-called California Framer style. Rubber/plastic cushioned handle, otherwise all steel construction. In addition to the two regular rip claws, it has a side claw feature. Also, there originally was a magnet and recess in the front side of the bell for initial setting of nails.

I explained to Anthony that this one was beyond restoration, but still, we're not gonna throw it away. See below.

That's quite a beating for a hammer to take. I think about the human energy expended to do it. I wonder if the steel is on the soft side, or was it abused somehow and having a steel handle, the bell flattened before a wooden/fiberglass handle had the chance to break.

About a week after Anthony gave me this, I ran into the Hart rep. at a Walmart who was checking displays, etc. I asked him if his hammers were guaranteed, like Craftsman, etc. He said none of his tools carried a warranty. BUT: I've visited the Hart Tools website, it says their hand tools carry a limited lifetime warranty (similar to Craftsman). Only catch is, you must ship it to South Carolina at your cost.

The Chinese company that owns Hart also owns Milwaukee tools, Ryobi tools, and Hoover vacuum cleaner. The company is TTI, or Techtronic Industries.

Here is a not quite "rescue" that my grandson Anthony came up with; he found it in a street.

View attachment 1024422

Note the badly mushroomed head.
View attachment 1024425

This is a Hart brand hammer, made in China. Walmart is the "exclusive" distributor for this brand. They sell for about $20. Modified, so-called California Framer style. Rubber/plastic cushioned handle, otherwise all steel construction. In addition to the two regular rip claws, it has a side claw feature. Also, there originally was a magnet and recess in the front side of the bell for initial setting of nails.

I explained to Anthony that this one was beyond restoration, but still, we're not gonna throw it away. See below.

That's quite a beating for a hammer to take. I think about the human energy expended to do it. I wonder if the steel is on the soft side, or was it abused somehow and having a steel handle, the bell flattened before a wooden/fiberglass handle had the chance to break.

About a week after Anthony gave me this, I ran into the Hart rep. at a Walmart who was checking displays, etc. I asked him if his hammers were guaranteed, like Craftsman, etc. He said none of his tools carried a warranty. BUT: I've visited the Hart Tools website, it says their hand tools carry a limited lifetime warranty (similar to Craftsman). Only catch is, you must ship it to South Carolina at your cost.

The Chinese company that owns Hart also owns Milwaukee tools, Ryobi tools, and Hoover vacuum cleaner. The company is TTI, or Techtronic Industries.
Looks like it may have been run over more than once as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top