JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After receiving a letter from Sheriff Andrew Jackson of Coos County about media sources requesting personal information about Concealed Handgun License holders in Coos County, I thought it would be in my best interest to shoot an e-mail to Sheriff Jackson asking for the names of the sources requesting the information.

Sheriff Jackson, who has refused to give out information until he had a response from all those having the CHL in his county, returned my e-mail last week stating that the request was from a source out of Jackson County.

I hate to assume, but in this case I think it would be accurate to make the assumption that it is the Mail Tribune out of Jackson County that has been requesting the information.

Was this a personal attack on gun owners or just the Mail Tribune tying to make a story?

We got the same letter from Multnomah county as well. I think it is an Oregon thing. Not just a Jackson County thing. So dont feel singled out. From my letter it seams that they are doing what they can to ensure that our CHL information is NOT released.

<broken link removed>

I found the above link, explains it all.

Folks,

It's time for Legislative action on this issue. " The laws of the state of Oregon very clearly state that all records kept by governmental agencies are public unless they are specifically exempted. There is no such exemption for concealed weapons permits." Oregon residents should demand the Legislature exempt this information from public record requests. Let's go folks. Contact your State Senators and Representatives. There is absolutely no need for anyone to have this information.

" The laws of the state of Oregon very clearly state that all records kept by governmental agencies are public unless they are specifically exempted. There is no such exemption for concealed weapons permits."

Do you know this to be true? Or are you just speculating? The letter I got from the Multnomah County Sheriffs department states; “Both the application for a concealed handgun permit and the permit itself are considered public records. Public records are by state statute to disclosure in response to a request for the record, unless one of the exemptions fro disclosure applies. Possible exemptions include obtaining a CHL as a personal security measure release of personal information as an unreasonable invasion of privacy, or a concern for the personal safety of a person or a member of the persons family if home address, telephone number or email address are released for public inspection.”

So basically if you obtained your CHL for personal protection, which all of us can claim that is what we got it for, your records should remained sealed and not up for disclosure.

Am I interpreting this wrong??

Otis

The release of who has an Oregon CHL is NOT protected by any exemption in State law. That is not speculation, it is fact. However, in the 2007 Oregon Legislature Senate Bill 583 was passed that prohibits government from releasing what is called "personal information". Generally speaking personal information is a name AND some other identifying item like a SSN or DL. The idea with SB 583 is to prevent ID theft. Oregon public records law currently allows requests for CHL holders. And with addresses still listed in phone books.....

So then what is the letter for?

They say if i fill out the form and send it back the Sheriffs office my information will be exempt and I will be protected. Or at least they will do everything they can to protect me.

What does that really mean? Does it mean that my personal info will be kept but my name will be released? Or will everything be safe? Or will nothing be safe?

I really don't know. I am only going by the letter that I received in the mail today.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top