JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone living in the Eugene/Springfield area is probably already aware of the horrific damage that has been done in recent months to a local Vietnamese restaurant called Yi Shen. The restaurant's insurer has recently told them that if they file a claim for yet another broken window, that their insurance policy will be terminated. Well, that just happened again. Yet another one of the restaurant's large windows has been smashed.

Here is a local news report about the situation:

<broken link removed>

The Eugene police department has been investigating for many weeks, but has had no results so far. They say that they are unable to guard the restaurant. The owners of the restaurant had fled Vietnam after the Communists won control, and was granted asylum in the US. The family already suffered additional tragedy 10 years ago, when the husband who originally founded the restaurant was killed by a large wave on the Oregon coast. His widow and children have operated it since. No one knows who is doing this or why the family and their business is currently being targeted.

The restaurant has created a gofund page to pay for the latest damage and hopefully get a good security camera system that works at night. If anyone would like to give them some money, here is their fundraising page:

Click here to support Protecting Phung's Property by Ardyn Reyes Wolfe (http://www.gofundme.com/2boq9l8)

If people are available to volunteer for security shifts to help protect the place, they are also interested in that sort of community help as well. Contact David Tam, a longtime leader in the Asian community, at [email protected], if interested in volunteer guard duty.

Here is a link to the restaurant's Facebook page, with additional contact info there:

Security Check Required (https://www.facebook.com/Yi-Shen-147245998636444/)

Sad.............really sad. This is another canary in the coal mine. Lane County Sheriff's Office quit investigating property crime years ago! No money to prosecute, no money to lock the criminals behind bars.

Our law makers are taking away the means to protect ourselves..........what did the sheep expect.

Foreverlost,

In the old West, this would have been taken care of quickly. The owner would have camped out in the restaurant, and shot anybody trashing his place (assuming he was the right color - asians were not allowed to do that). But now we are more "civilized". :rolleyes:

Someone needs to make some bars for the windows for them and gets some cameras up
Seems someone would be bragging this up,beings its some lowlife doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cops have stopped investigating property crimes up here in Seattle, too. There have been a lot of cases recently where someone was all but ignored while calling in to report a crime IN PROGRESS. My own experience with calling 911 was, disheartening (on hold for 7 minutes, and I was connected to the 911 service for the wrong county! When I finally talked to the operator she had no idea where I was calling from, had never even heard of the town I was in! Was put on hold again while they connected me to the 911 system for snohomish co- total elapsed time of the call was 11 minutes!!).
If I lived in Eugene I would be all over that volunteer effort- police have way too many other things going on right now that trump the investigation of property crimes.

Someone needs to make some bars for the windows for them and gets some cameras up
Seems someone would be bragging this up,beings its some lowlife doing it.

So far they have raised more than enough to replace the cost of the new window. They should have enough money to hopefully afford getting a good security surveillance system. I believe that there may be people helping them out with picking a good system.

The cops have stopped investigating property crimes up here in Seattle, too.

If it is just a one time thing, then, yes, it is sort of a low priority crime. But in this case the damage is on-going and being sustained over time. It has gotten to the point where the business would literally be run out of business, if this was to continue indefinitely.

To me, that should make the case a higher priority. But I guess that we do live in a rather imperfect world.

Well, it looks like they already got a lot of volunteers. The community is really going all out to try to protect the place. Their plan is to have 4 guards present on watch.

Here is a link to info about their security schedule:

<broken link removed>

Police response for non violent crimes even in portland has been a joke for years. I worked as a manager at a store in portland in the early 2000s and would have people car prowling and stealing cars from our lot.
While seeing them arrive I would call the cops and it would take 30-45 mins on a good day for them to show up. so after a couple months we just stopped calling and at our own risk would chase the guys off.

If it is just a one time thing, then, yes, it is sort of a low priority crime. But in this case the damage is on-going and being sustained over time. It has gotten to the point where the business would literally be run out of business, if this was to continue indefinitely.

To me, that should make the case a higher priority. But I guess that we do live in a rather imperfect world.
Higher priority? Is there not "hate crimes" against Vietnamese ? Or do they work for a living so ,no?
This should be considered a hate crime. Most of these folks came over here to work,not sit on the stoop and drink 40s

There have been a lot of cases recently where someone was all but ignored while calling in to report a crime IN PROGRESS.

My favorite (not!) story along these lines, is some woman in SE Portland had her car stolen, so she called the cops to investigate. Of course nothing happened, so she just started walking around the neighborhood looking for her car, and amazingly enough she found it parked at an apartment some blocks away. She called the cops again to tell them where the stolen car was, and they still didn't come out after she did their job for them. I don't know if she ever got her car back, but I hope she got some help from friends, and added a beating to the results for good order.

GOOD NEWS:

The criminal was caught by the Eugene Police Department early today, after throwing a brick through another window around 1:45am this morning. The guards posted at the location got a good description of the man, called 911, and told the police the direction that he fled in. He was arrested by the EPD within a few minutes.

Update: Man arrested in connection with vandalism at two Asian-owned restaurants in Eugene (http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34564511-75/update-man-arrested-in-connection-with-vandalism-at-two-asian-owned-restaurants-in-eugene.html.csp)

Higher priority? Is there not "hate crimes" against Vietnamese ? Or do they work for a living so ,no?
This should be considered a hate crime. Most of these folks came over here to work,not sit on the stoop and drink 40s

Nope because Asians are not legally considered a minority.
"Because of their high degree of success as a group and over-representation in many areas such as college admissions, most Asian Americans are not granted preferential treatment by affirmative action policies as are other minority groups."

So to have special preferential treatment, you have to be lazy POS, and most Asian Americans are hard working and successful as a result of their hard work.

PS. I am glad the finally caught the POS. However, he will be out in the morning.

Nope because Asians are not legally considered a minority.
"Because of their high degree of success as a group and over-representation in many areas such as college admissions, most Asian Americans are not granted preferential treatment by affirmative action policies as are other minority groups."

So to have special preferential treatment, you have to be lazy POS, and most Asian Americans are hard working and successful as a result of their hard work.

PS. I am glad the finally caught the POS. However, he will be out in the morning.

Are you saying we got too many hard-working asians right now?

Hope this is the guy that was doing all the vandalism. would be interesting to know what in the world he is thinking. Hope I am not nit picking this to much,, but a crime has to be a Hate crime before officers will respond/investigate?. thats kinda what i got from the article from the register guard. For future reference, every crime that happens on my property will from now on be reported as a hate crime.

quote..."Eugene police do not typically send an officer out on vandalism calls, but Bills directed officers to respond because of the suspicion that the vandalism may constitute a bias crime, Mak said.""

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top