JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm fairly new to customizing guns, and I was curious if there are options out there to convert a choked Winchester Model 12 (12ga) into a home-defense weapon from its current hunting shotgun status. Right now it's got a long choked barrel and a big hefty butt that I would like to be able to swap out at will with a pistol-grip or tactical stock and a short unchoked barrel. The catch is I want the barrel/mag assembly that easily breaks away from the "receiver". I've hunted for the replacement barrel/mag assembly and it's not exactly easy finding a replacement let alone an unchoked short-barrel.

Again, the basic idea is if I want to go hunting I put on my long choked barrel/mag (with the plug in it to limit it to 3 shots) and regular butt stock... and then for home defense I slap on the short barrel/mag and tac stock with a fully loadable mag.

Notes on legal implications and difficulty of finding such a setup are appreciated.

from the looks of the factory diagram they had 4 barrel lengths available - 30", 28", 26" and 20".
Winchester Model 12

from the sounds of it it may not be an easy swap process - Shotgunworld.com • View topic - Model 12 barrel replacement

Looks like Corson has replacement barrels - some used factory and some aftermarket - the 20" is about $200
SHOTGUN BARRELS: 1000+ NEW & USED SHOTGUN BARRELS FOR SALE

At those prices along with probable smith work to properly fit the new barrel it might be more cost effective to pick up a new or used 12ga that already has a 18 or 20" barrel on it.

A mdl 12 is a poor choice to convert to a HD shotgun. Low availability of parts, and the guns can have
considerable collector value. If it's a junker 12, hack the barrel to 18"+ and call it good. HOWEVER,
if it's in any kind of decent condition, post info and pictures here and knowledgable people will give
you some idea what it's worth. You might be surprised---you might be able to sell the 12 and have
enough money to buy a shotgun set up just like you want, AND a rifle AND a pistol.

Don't hack up a model 12 post it for sale in the classifieds and buy a pistol grip shotgun with the money

Your good Model 12 should be preserved as-is, and for home defense purposes, even without a short barrel and pistol grip (which have nothing to do with killing burglars) it will shine just fine. You have a piece of Winchester. You have a piece of America That Once Was. Allow it to serve in your bedroom to defend your family just as she came from the factory. I GUARANTEE YOU, when and if the time comes, she will do what Winchesters have done ever since 1866: allow the common man to become equal with any threat.

If you wrongly believe she is inadequate, allow her to reside with someone who will care for her as she deserves. Your recompense for your mistake will buy you a cheaply made poor excuse for a shotgun that will accomplish precisely what a proud portion of Americana could have done just as well.

If you are a family man with children, you will at length realize that you relinquished an investment that would return more percentage than any stock portfolio or mutual fund strategy, and completely tax free.

Keep it loaded, keep it by your bed and ready. Educate your family as to its operation and those that are prohibited from touching it. She will reside closely, gaining monetary value with every glance towards her, always ready to kill to save your family (with a steady paycheck, you might make the same claims for yourself).

Your good Model 12 should be preserved as-is, and for home defense purposes, even without a short barrel and pistol grip (which have nothing to do with killing burglars) it will shine just fine. ... always ready to kill to save your family (with a steady paycheck, you might make the same claims for yourself).

I am fully aware of the quality of build inherent to my shotgun. I sort of get what you were trying to say, long-winded though it was... The point of a short barrel is to be able to bring it up and aim it quickly. Its for that same reason I wouldn't keep a hunting rifle next to the bed. Also, I have a pistol. I am a family man and will do what is necessary to protect my family, whether it is scaring off, injuring, or if necessary killing an intruder. I would prefer to have the proper tool for the job though, and not a big long canon to try to swing around the room. I am not getting rid of this gun, nor am I mistreating or neglecting it. It is properly taken care of, and it is an heirloom. Thanks for the... advice, and good luck with career at Winchester. :D

every now and then I see the Model 12 WW1 trench gun version come up on gun broker as well as some barrels. If you can get a Trench gun version barrel, swap it out and have the best of both worlds.

Model 12 is certainly one of the best out there!
No falling sear.... hold the trigger back and can fire as fast as you can pump!

I am fully aware of the quality of build inherent to my shotgun. I sort of get what you were trying to say, long-winded though it was... The point of a short barrel is to be able to bring it up and aim it quickly. Its for that same reason I wouldn't keep a hunting rifle next to the bed. Also, I have a pistol. I am a family man and will do what is necessary to protect my family, whether it is scaring off, injuring, or if necessary killing an intruder. I would prefer to have the proper tool for the job though, and not a big long canon to try to swing around the room. I am not getting rid of this gun, nor am I mistreating or neglecting it. It is properly taken care of, and it is an heirloom. Thanks for the... advice, and good luck with career at Winchester. :D

This wouldn't be the first time my emotional attachment to firearms and/or what was America is not completely shared by others.

every now and then I see the Model 12 WW1 trench gun version come up on gun broker as well as some barrels. If you can get a Trench gun version barrel, swap it out and have the best of both worlds.

Model 12 is certainly one of the best out there!
There are only two known WWI era Winchester Model 12 "Trench Guns" that were built as prototypes, the gubmit didn't bite and stuck with only the 97 from Winchester throughout the war - even those two "prototypes" are a big sore spot among the know-it-alls.

The Winchester Model 12 IS a good gun and was a GREAT gun in its time, but for what the OP is wanting, not a great idea and a very expensive one at that. Barrels are not easily "changed" on the Model 12. A complete and different front end is more appropriate as the barrel is fitted to the receiver extension, the piece that interfaces with the receiver. The Model 12 is not simply "changeable" the way a gun like the 870 is. Don't know that I've ever seen a "tactical" stock for the Model 12.

For a gun you can "switch" parts on and off of a Remington 870 is probably your best bet as it is not going to be easy with really any older gun like a Model 12. I'd have a hard time cutting down a nice vintage gun in good, factory condition, but lord knows I'll in a heartbeat to a gun that someone previously added a comp or dial-a-duck to. I search for old "Fudd" like that specifically to cut them down and make into Riot or Trench guns. In the end, it may pain us to see a vintage gun cut up, but it is YOUR gun. So, with a Model 12 you're really only going to have it one way or the other, not both. If you want a shotgun you can swap barrels back and forth, check out the 870 or maybe a Mossberg 500 (another great gun).

Correct the barrel doesn't swap out as easy as say a Mossberg.. but its do able, sorta.

I think I meant a search for Riot gun, not trench gun as your right about the trench gun version being oh so rare..
Here is a barrel, cut to 20inches... Winchester Model 12 Riot Gun Barrel 1942 Marked : Shotgun Barrels at GunBroker.com but, for $375 you could pick up a used Mossberg and have two shotguns! :)

The Model 12 is a fantastic shotgun but it is dated and I would agree with the above statements though I prefer a super nova my self.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top