JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From the original story on <broken link removed>

PORTLAND – Congressman Kurt Schrader recently won re-election as a democrat in Oregon’s 5th district, but his stance on gun control is right in line with the views of the National Rifle Association.

In a taped interview for KGW’s Straight Talk, Schrader reaffirmed his views about gun ownership that helped him secure an endorsement in 2010 from the powerful lobbying group.

The NRA Web site states that the association opted to support Schrader because he co-signed several bills in Congress favored by the NRA.

More: NRA endorses Democrat Kurt Schrader

Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden is leading a task force in Washington D.C., exploring ways to deal with gun violence.

Schrader said the U.S. has plenty of laws when it comes to guns. What he thinks is missing is money to help fund mental health care.

“That’s the biggest part of where we need to be putting our money. It’s not the guns that are killing people. It’s the people behind those guns,”
Schrader said.

While Schrader’s views on guns may not be in step with many democrats, his stances on health care, the environment and abortion have made him popular with many progressive groups.

Biden even visited the district to campaign for Schrader during his re-election bid against republican Scott Bruun in 2010.

"I think it puts to rest the mythology of Kurt Schrader being a Washington DC Pelosi clone or something like that," he told KGW in 2010. "This blows right through that."

More: Contact Kurt Schrader

Watch Laural Porter’s full interview with Schrader Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on KGW Newschannel 8.

This is the view I support. We need to figure out why these people are being violent and how to prevent that. I don't want a violent person in a school looking to kill regardless of what they are armed with. I am send another email to Representative Schrader right now, expressing my support.

I don't like Schrader, but I cannot call him an idiot. Even if his NRA approved policy stance is insincere, he knows that if he'd like to be reelected in 2014, he cannot poke the single issue voters in the 5th District with a sharp stick. The district is a purple one and he cannot afford to throw away his NRA endorsement.

Thanks for posting this, I will watch the interview on Saturday, I will wait until after the interview to contact Schrader and probably will contact Ch 8 as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top