Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Replica pistols that fire modern bullets?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Drame22, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Drame22

Drame22 Portland, OR Member

Hello all,

I'm just curious. I know there are replica pistols from the civil war/wild west era that fire their historical cartridges, but I'm wondering if there are any out there that fire, say, .45 cal bullets.

My all time favorite would be the Colt Navy, other than that Dragoons and the like will work perfectly. So long as it has that 'boxy' look on the rear areas. Has anyone seen anything like this around? I've asked a few companies, but they keep pointing me to the same 'Peace maker' model, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Cheers!
    Drame22

2. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well--there are replicas of the 1872 open top in 44 special and 45 colt. Also some replicas of the "cartridge
    conversions" to the earlier colts and remingtons that fire 38 special. Not that 38 special and 45 colt are
    particularly modern--both were introduced in the 1800's.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

An actual 1851 Navy Colt or an earlier Dragoon would not be a good choice to convert to a modern cartridge. And the design just isn't that strong. Even with Blackpowder loads the pistols can get loose.

The 1872 Open Top was much stronger in the Pin And keep in mind it was only sold for a Year before Colt came out with the SAA.

Look through Cimarrons or Uberti's web sites

4. Drame22

Mark: I suppose I should mention, I just like the squared off six-shooters. The most iconic example would probably be the Griswold pistols. Directly in front of the cylinder it was squared, and then it went into an octagon barrel.

So it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a certain year, make, model, or country of origin. My only real requirements that I don't want to change are that it at least look old, and that it fire commonly bought modern bullets.

I've never really dabbled in anything beyond Mausers and Mosins so far, so any information would be appreciated.

Bill: I googled 'open top .45 revolver', and it brought me to a company called Uberti. Can anyone vouch for their quality? I liked the guns I saw, except for a silly looking marbled metal pattern on a few of them.

Cheers all,
    Drame22

5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

By "marbled metal pattern" I am guessing that you mean they have a colored case hardened finish. something like this : Ruger-Vaquero-color-cased.jpg

I've never had a Uberti but they have been around quite a long time - you might check Cimarron too as Mark suggested. Both companies continue to make modern copies of older firearms.

Good luck in your search

Ruger-Vaquero-color-cased.jpg

6. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I own a Uberti. 44 mag copy of Colt Peacemaker. Very nice gun, excellent accuracy and finish. I used to think Italian knockoff replicas were junk at best. I was wrong.

7. Mark W.

Uberti makes Cimarron marketed guns. They are as well made as any modern high quality firearm.

8. best defense

best defense Beaverton, OR Active Member

There are replicas that are made to shoot 38 special, 357 Magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum, and of course there is still the old stand by 45 colt.

9. Drame22

Swedish: Yep, that's what I was talking about. Don't know why, I just like them simply and solidly built. I'd rather have it straight blued steel and wood than pearl grips and a colored finish.

Besides Uberti and Cimarron(I checked out both sites), does any other company exist that makes these? I'm looking for quality over quantity, as I'll likely only have one of them, so I'd like it to be as well made as possible.

I couldn't find what I was looking for on those two companies, at least, none that fired modern bullets. One thing I did notice though, is that they can be chambered in .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, and .45 Schofield. Does anyone know which of these would be the best/cheapest bullets? I know that statement is contradictory, and I don't mind paying a little extra for quality rounds, but the $2 a bullet that my local stores are trying to charge is unacceptable. I can nab Mosin rounds for $.12 a bullet.

My attraction towards .45 caliber is simply because I don't really know much about other calibers. Would a .44 or .38 'special' be better? Cheaper, perhaps?

I think the pistol I'm looking for is called the 1851 Colt Navy, pictured here:

http://www.shooterschoice.com/uberti/ubertiimages/51navyo.jpg

Can anyone tell me how much of a difference in accuracy would be between the short 'pocket' version and the longer one? Like I said, I've only ever fired rifles, this will be my first pistol. Also, are these pistols rifled? Can they be rifled?

Cheers all, great information so far!

Drame22

10. Mark W.

The 1851 Navy colt by design will barely handle .38 spl modern ammo. Yes all these pistols are rifled. I have owned a 1/2 dozen various cap and ball blackpowder pistols over the last 30 years and they can be as accurate as an average grade modern pistol with the same length barrel. My 1858 New Model Army Remington Replica will shoot 3" groups at 10-15 yards. It is a .44cal 8" barrel and can be loaded to come real close to a modern .44spl load. BUT the Remington has a full frame with a top strap and is as strong as a hammer. NOT the two piece week design of the early Colts.

virtually all Italian replicas are made by the same 2-3 companies that make the Pistols offered by Uberti and Cimarron. Stay away from anything brass framed (very short life span)

Uberti sells exactly what your looking for

Uberti 1860 Army Conversion, 1858 New Army Conversion, 1851 Navy Conversion, and 1871-1872 Open Top

The 1851 Navy in .38spl in three barrel lengths.

jbett98 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Drame22, Pietta is also a maker of the revolvers that you desire. Should you go the Pietta route I recommend that you purchase one marked that it was proof tested after 2002.

Mark W. has given you some good information. I also have 30+ years experience with black powder pistols should you wish to PM me with specific questions.

IMO Uberti was always top dog in the replica market but Pietta changed management about the year 2000 and since then has emphasized quality control. IMO a new Pietta revolver is the equal of a new Uberti product.

12. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OP--I'm a little curious---what do you consider a "Modern bullet"?? You have used the phrase several times.

13. Drame22

Bill: 'Modern' meaning it isn't a paper 'ball-and-powder' cartridge. So a brass bullet, for example, I would consider 'modern'. Sorry for not being clear on that.

Ogre: I will go take a look at them right now, thanks for the info! And I may just take you up on that PM offer.

Mark: Thank you very much, you've been super helpful. Much obliged.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the pistols without that marble pattern? I emailed Uberti about it but I haven't heard back.

Cheers!
    Drame22

14. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have 3 reproduction cap & ball black powder revolvers with an extra cartridge conversion cylinder (of the 10 I currently own) that let them fire metallic cartridges, an 1858 Remington Army, an 1858 Remington Navy and an 1848 Colt Baby Dragoon. The 1858 Remington Army has a 5 shot 45 Long Colt conversion cylinder made by Kirst. Take out the cap & ball cylinder and replace with the already loaded conversion cylinder and you are ready to go. The Remington's are the easiest to do this as they have a top strap and you don't have to break down the gun like the Colt revolvers. The 1858 Remington Navy I have has an R&D 6 shot conversion cylinder that is chambered in .38 Special metallic cartridges. The 1848 Colt Baby Dragoon has an R&D 6 shot conversion cylinder that is chambered in .32 S&W Short metallic cartridges. In all of the guns with conversion cylinders it is recommended that you use smokeless ammo with less than a 1000 fps or black powder cartridges. I prefer to use black powder cartridges as I reload. The 1858 Remingtons, 1851 Colt Navy and 1860 Colt Army can be purchased as cartridge guns only. You get the advantages of the original factory conversions but cannot switch back to cap and ball.
    There are only two manufactures of cap & ball revolvers and conversions, Uberti & Pietta. Everyone else like Cimarron, Texas Jacks, Taylors and Dixie are distributors who import them.
    Since you want to fire cartridges in a revolver of the cap & ball style I would suggest you buy one of the revolvers that are made as cartridge only revolvers that have loading gates and cartridge ejectors. They are quite nice and shoot well from what I have read of them.

15. Drame22

Gaucho: I have tried looking up 'cartridge revolvers' but I keep getting the basics, like the Cattlemen single action, or a colt peacemaker. Is there some specific phrase I should be using to find them?

Also, are there any modern revolvers that have squared/octagon barrels? Aside from the 'Rhino', that's the only one I've found.

Cheers,
    Drame22

16. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member